Boedeker Goes After Holcomb

UPDATE: It seems the owners of the video have taken it down.

GOP challenger Chris Boedeker has a new TV ad hitting incumbent Rep. Scott Holcomb for comments Holcomb made during the drug testing debate earlier this year.

Full disclosure: I’ve donated to Boedeker’s campaign.

1. Dave Bearse says:

Boedeker’s mailers went negative last week, and now a hollow TV commercial?

The commercial is good news to me as an 81st district resident. It indicates that the Boedeker campaign is desperate or is getting bad advice or both. Eight year GOP incumbent Jill Chambers got tossed out of the 81st in the 2010 GOP wave year for false negative campaigning.

• novicegirl says:

Jill Chambers “got tossed out” because her opponent, and her opponent’s supporters, engineered a controversial bankruptcy lien on Chamber’s campaign account, weeks before the general election.

• bird says:

Interesting spin. I believe you are referring to Jill Chambers filing bankruptcy during the campaign and failling to incorporate her campaign committee so that the campaign bank account wasn’t in her personal name?

That’s simple business, and Chambers failed that test.

• jillchambers says:

bird – no need to chirp the Democratic spin….

send me an email at [email protected] and I will send you a pdf of the CERTIFIED court docs:

Attorney Jonathan Benator of the law firm Weissman Nowak submitted altered court documents in Gwinnett State Court to garnish my campaign account.

The Trustee investigated. From his Motion in Federal Court dated 2/27/12:
            “Jonathan Benator and Weissman Nowack Curry & Wilco PC, relating to an affidavit of garnishment on behalf of Miami Circle in which it was incorrectly stated that Miami Circle was a judgment creditor… there was no judgment against [Chambers]. This resulted in Wachovia Bank freezing several bank accounts belonging to [Chambers], including an account into which [Chambers] had deposited her campaign contributions…”

Georgia law does not require incorportion of a campaign account. Both Federal Law and the IRS use the phrase “whether or not incorporated” when defining a campaign account. Title 26, subtitle A, chapter 1, Subchapter F, Part VI, section on 527 defines political organizations: a party, committee, association, fund, or other organization whether or not incorporated…”

FEC link searching the phrase “whether or not incorporated”:

My funds were in a segregated campaign account called “Jill Chambers for State House”

Judge Mullins ruled on May 26, 2011 that campaign funds are personal property of the candidate unless held in a “spendthrift trust.” Judge Mullins also ruled: “If this outcome has political implications, they are simply a derivative, necessary consequence of the Court’s adherance to the Bankruptcy Code and controlling case law”

Under his ruling, incorporating a campaign account does not protect a candidate or elected official from potentially having their funds seized, too.

• griftdrift says:

“Falsify court docs to win an election by committing fraud, then pay a small fine to the Court. I guess the Democratics are thrilled that they found a new way to cheat in an election!”

I may be wrong, but if an attorney did that, I think the repercussions would be more than a “small fine”

• jillchambers says:

the Trustee accepted a $20,000 payment in exchange for releasing Benator and Weissman Nowack from liability.

my opinion is that it is a pretty cheap way to cheat!

• saltycracker says:

I hate it when the democrats smell blood but why wouldn’t a Republican in financial distress step back from seeking to make decisions for the public until after their issues are resolved ?

2. Dem in the Burbs says:

This ad is despicable, false, and misleading. Is Chris Boedeker the type person who the Republicans want representing their party and serving beside them in the General Assembly? Rep. Scott Holcomb said in his speech in the well that he would get the call to be drug tested and would need to drink a lot of water to take the test because he had already gone to the bathroom before being notified to take the test. This is the Rep. Holcomb’s exact quote:

““I will also tell you as someone who went through that, my luck isn’t always the best, and I would always get the call after I had – you know – and so then I would have to sit there and drink bottles and bottles of water until I could finally do what I needed to do to take the test.”

Watch Rep Holcomb’s entire speech here (the above comments start at the 5:00 mark):

• Three Jack says:

Thanks for posting the full video, puts the story into proper context.

Holcomb is absolutely correct and would get my vote if I lived in his district. We discussed this legislation ad nauseum earlier this year and he reiterated all the points those of us in opposition stated at the time.

One more thing, there were many military members back in the day who got antsy when the call came for a random piss test. Most that I knew performed their jobs extremely well despite the occasional toke. So to go after him for this shows the complete ignorance of his opponent who likely never served. Boedeker has no idea what he is talking about.

3. Max Power says:

Wow and we wonder why people are disgusted with politics. Boedeker and his supporters should be ashamed.

4. BryanLong says:

Rep. Holcomb served in the Army for 12 years, including tours in Bosnia and Iraq. He was a proud member of the 3rd Infantry Division at Fort Stewart.

This is the kind of military service that our nation honors with national holidays. If Chris Boedeker thinks that acknowledging this service is “bragging” then I don’t think he’s fit for public office in Georgia.

In addition, the speech in the ad shows Rep. Holcomb fighting for Georgia’s poorest families — working mothers making less than $26 per day.

I wish Georgia’s General Assembly had more honorable men like Rep. Holcomb.

5. MilitaryDem says:

You said you supported this guy financially, Buzz. Are you going to denounce this ad and this candidate, or is it OK with you that your money is being spent attacking honorable military service? Some things are beyond partisanship. This ad is despicable.

6. ArnoldBabar says:

I just checked Holcomb out and he seems like a real stand up guy, even if we do disagree about a lot of things.
    As a vet and life long Republican, if the best we can do is make disparaging remarks about the men and women who sacrificed everything to make sure guys like Boedekker have the right to be cretins, then count me out. I wish you the best, Mr. Holcomb.

7. Ed says:

Let’s take a trip on the Waaaaaaaaaaaay Back Machine. Anyone think this could be a Mitch Skandalakis moment?

8. bgsmallz says:

Where did find a picture of Susan Day in goth make-up, wearing an electric dog collar? There is so much crazy in that video…it’s off the charts.

9. Charlie says:

To the person trying to post under a business name that I don’t believe you have any association with, that’s not happening. Your comment is in our trash folder, but you’re welcome to re-post under another name or send us a line noting your association with this business.

Note to readers, we’re generally not going to allow screen names that are the names or paradies of politicians living or dead, businesses, or names that contain foul language. Please make a note of it.

10. Charlie says:

“This video has been removed by the user”

By. The. USER.

I think Chris Boedeker just outed himself as a drug user.

Frankly, that’s better evidence than the crap he just removed from YouTube to smear Holcomb with the same claim.

• Calypso says:

Hey Buzz, ask your buddy Boedeker why he thought the ad was such a good idea before the poop hit the fan while it was running backward.

• benevolus says:

That should say “It worked for Saxby”.
          I don’t mean to imply that Boedeker worked for Saxby. (I don’t know if he did or not).
          I am pronoun challenged.
          OK, I’m getting back to work now.