Morning Reads for October 2nd, 2012

October 2, 2012 8:22 am

by Stefan · 54 comments

Non Georgia:

• Claims overblown about coming shortage of ham (AP)
  • NC investigating Republican Voter Fraud scam (McClatchyDC)
  • Video Games newest realm for the economic model (WaPo)
  • GM Cow makes Gluten Free Milk but missing its caudal (ABCScience)
  • SCOTUS wants another shot at affirmative action (WaPo)
  • as they enjoy the “is a houseboat a boat or a house” abstraction (McClatchy)
  • What China can learn from our electoral feats(Guardian)
  • and sad news from Detroit: the end of bench seats*. (DetroitNews)

Georgia after the jump:

Bonus:

Tottenham breaks 23 year curse by beating Man United at Old Trafford. (Telegraph)

9:00 Update:

• Woodward Academy to start drug testing at random (AJC)
  • Falcons’s seat licenses will be the new cost of fandom (AJC)
  • Panhandling ordinance to curbs calls of “Brother, can you spare a dime?”  (AtlantaBizChron)
  • Atlanta’s #16 in Bizweek list, ranked high on parks, and low on crime (Bizweek)

Oh, and note for Charlie’s stalkers, he will be here tonight.

Follow me on the twitters @StefanTurk

Harry October 2, 2012 at 8:29 am

from Power Line….

Green Weenie of the Week: Matt Damon
Or should I say, Team America-style, Matt Daayyymonnnn. Yes, I think we should. So his Damonness is coming out in December with a feature film entitled Promised Land that is intended to do to hydraulic fracturing for natural gas what The China Syndrome did for nuclear power way back when. You can watch the trailer here if you want, and grasp the full propaganda intent of the film. Even though Matt Damon is better looking than Jane Fonda, I doubt it will work. In fact I predict the film will bomb at the box office.
But what earns Damon the coveted Power Line Green Weenie Award is the fact, reported by Lachlan Markay at the Heritage Foundation, that the film was partly financed by Middle Eastern oil interests. Hmmm, can’t imagine why they’d want to hobble new American energy production. Markay takes it from here:
While left-leaning Hollywood often targets supposed environmental evildoers, Promised Land was also produced “in association with” Image Media Abu Dhabi, a subsidiary of Abu Dhabi Media, according to the preview’s list of credits. A spokesperson with DDA Public Relations, which runs PR for Participant Media, the company that developed the film fund backing Promised Land, confirmed that AD Media is a financier. The company is wholly owned by the government of the UAE.

Stefan October 2, 2012 at 9:08 am

Now that’s interesting. But again, you are confusing Hollywood’s pursuit of individualism and scary corporate greed with liberalism.

I find it interesting that you find Matt Damon (2012) more attractive than Jane Fonda (1979). Wonder if I can figure out how to post a poll.

Harry October 2, 2012 at 11:55 am

Here’s the take-away: We don’t know what motivated Jane Fonda when she turned over to the North Vietnamese those messages the POWs were trying to smuggle out to their relatives, but we do know that Damon is motivated by Abu Dhabi to make movies which attempt to eliminate US energy independence.

Stefan October 2, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I just don’t want the Federal Government stepping in to keep you and Matt Damon apart.

US energy independence by way of oil is a myth, however, if we supported alternative energy we could get there. Wind, solar, etc.

Harry October 2, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Stefan October 2, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I had a T. Boone Pickens op-ed in the Morning Reads, but all my rhymes for it were gross so I deleted it. It is mostly about how attracted he is to Ben Affleck, but he mentions energy policy as well. Here you go:

benevolus October 3, 2012 at 8:17 pm

“You forgot to mention natural gas, where we have a 200-300 year supply of proven reserves.”

Who is “we”? Are you proposing nationalising our natural gas resources?

Harry October 4, 2012 at 12:37 am

We = Us. I’m proposing a competitive and lightly-regulated free market that serves the US economy.

benevolus October 4, 2012 at 6:17 am

Well a “lightly regulated free market” doesn’t do much for energy independence.

Harry October 4, 2012 at 8:55 am

I disagree.

Ed October 2, 2012 at 8:47 am

Stop it, Stefan.

U.S. scales back plans for Taliban peace deal in Afghanistan.

Georgia’s legislature changes, prompts change of longtime leadership. No reaction from Deal, Cagle, Ralston etc.

Stefan October 2, 2012 at 9:25 am

I thought about making the joke/reference, but I made a similar one awhile back and it fell flat. I appreciate the relentless attitude you have toward humor.

Buzz Brockway October 2, 2012 at 11:01 am

I for one welcome our billionaire backed overlords.

Ed October 2, 2012 at 11:10 am

That’s no way to talk about Arthur Blank.

View from Brookhaven October 2, 2012 at 8:54 am

Sir Alex is much like the Republican Party. Still relying on old folks to win while the other side runs circles around your midfield.

Stefan October 2, 2012 at 9:04 am

+1 Four strikers (all on the pitch at the end), no quality central mids. Perhaps we could extend the metaphor and see strikes and keepers as extremists and the lack of moderates holding (or holding moderates) them back?

View from Brookhaven October 2, 2012 at 9:12 am

Well, their starting formation was heavily shifted to the right. Nani wide to that side with Giggs opposite but staying more central.

After the primary half, though, he realized his error and tried for more balance. Came up just short in the final result.

Stefan October 2, 2012 at 9:16 am

attacking Bale/Vertonghen instead of Lennon/Walker was probably a bad call. The Valencia injury is proving more difficult to overcome than I had imagined. Can Kagawa play on the left as cutting in Eden Hazard type? Otherwise, they are going to be challenged to find a formation that works. The real problem is in team construction, the pick 2 of Rooney, Van Persie, Kagawa, Wellbeck, and Chicharito was a very bad idea.

View from Brookhaven October 2, 2012 at 9:39 am

Would have needed a left sided player (Ashley Young) to attack that side. Kagawa is a #10, he can drift to wide positions from there, but he’s wasted out there.

The team construction is poor. Some complain about the Glazers not providing funds, but it has been SAF wasting them on excess strikers and wide players while neglecting to purchase talent for the center of the pitch.

Stefan October 2, 2012 at 10:01 am

I forgot about Young, he would have been very helpful. They will get by Cluj in the Champs league and Stoke this weekend, but that game against Chelsea at the end of the month will be a wake-up call for the Red Devils.

Calypso October 2, 2012 at 10:08 am

Another language you pair speak.

Stefan October 2, 2012 at 10:42 am

perhaps your knowledge of the game is weak,
for your vessel of meaning seems to leak,
but its not too late for it to peak,
there are sites for you to wet your beak,
if it is indeed information that you seek,
and not simply our noses you wish to tweak.

Calypso October 2, 2012 at 10:46 am

Not one to be labeled meek,
it’s not your game I wish to critique,
rather your ire I wish to pique.
Though the prospect seems rather bleak,
I can’t stop now, I’m on a streak,
but please spare us and do not shreek,
for havoc I wish not to wreak.

Ed October 2, 2012 at 11:08 am

I’m a good poet,
don’t you know it.
Hope I don’t blow it.

Stefan October 2, 2012 at 11:39 am

A point neither obtuse nor oblique,
I can provide that which you seek,
though it’s not the sport of Dominique,
or of the one they called “The Freak”,
come down to Brewhouse on Saturday to catch a peek,
oh, and Ed, don’t sweat the technique.

Charlie October 2, 2012 at 11:47 am

I fear the day there’s a top story out of Nantucket.

Ed October 2, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Knowing Stefan’s tendency to duck it,
When the rhyming challenge gets tough,
(Even though he’s intellectually buff),
On that day he’d probably say

Calypso October 2, 2012 at 11:57 am

Though the invitation is very nice,
I shan’t seek your sporting advice.
Not because you’re not precise,
But American football shall suffice.
I’ve said it once, and now twice,
Please don’t make me say it thrice.
I find that using this literary device,
Makes one’s verbosity rather concise.

View from Brookhaven October 2, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Well now you guys have lost me with all the rhyming…

Calypso October 2, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Is it the meter, or the timing?

Stefan October 2, 2012 at 2:50 pm

He’s only interested in soccer opining.

Calypso October 2, 2012 at 3:00 pm

To the untrained ear, it sounds like whining.

Lea Thrace October 2, 2012 at 5:28 pm

All you poets: Will you marry me?

*swoons* :-D

Calypso October 2, 2012 at 6:02 pm

All you poets: Will you marry me?

Yes my dear: Betrothed to thee.

*swoons*

over the moons

SallyForth October 2, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Come on guys – what about the man from Nantucket? Or maybe the guy from Morass?

Stefan October 3, 2012 at 3:57 pm
David Staples October 2, 2012 at 9:29 am

Here’s my op-ed this week via Patch:

Scott65 October 2, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Keep Kosher and Ham wont be a problem…shortage or not

SallyForth October 2, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Hey! This is something seriously serious: I saw on “60 Minutes” Sunday evening that US taxpayers have now given over $600 billion in Afghanistan (not to mention the 2,000 and counting American lives we have sacrificed there). That country presently has 30 million people, 3 mil of whom are presently residing in Pakistan. If we count all 30 million, that means we have already spent $200,000 per person over there.

We could have just given every person $200,000 each, kept our military home to guard our own country (particularly the Mexican border), and saved those 2,000 American lives. Or better still, if there was an overwhelming urge to spend, we could have just cut checks for half that, $100,000 each to 60 million Americans and made things a whole lot better here – especially for the long-term unemployed with families.

And Obama is going to keep our troops there until 2014 (being killed by the very Afghan soldiers they are training), keep pouring out billions of taxpayer dollars (borrowed from China so we have to pay debt servicing and interest) plus more American lives??! Give me a break.

Stefan October 2, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Do you have a link to that data?

SallyForth October 2, 2012 at 11:09 pm

The “60 Minutes” segment started my brain churning on the Afghanistan situation and I did some digging the last day or so. Among other sources, I found info re Afghan population at: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/af.html

U.S. deaths in Afghanistan to date: http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/u-s-deaths-in-afghanistan-hit-2000/

The “60 Minutes” reporter 9/30/12 gave the $600 billion number, which may be a little low. There are lots of sources re the money we’re spending there, but this one gives detailed numbers to extrapolate: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/18/afghanistan-war-cost_n_850293.html In part it states the following, which would put us more like $1200 billion by now. :-\

The United States is spending more than $100 billion a year in Afghanistan, amounting to about $2 billion a week.

I must admit that seeing the PBS documentary on Bacha Bazi (“boy dancing” sexual abuse and prostitution of ages 8 and younger up to 17) by Afghan wealthy men and government officials made rich by American money made me sick, compelled me to do this post.

Harry October 2, 2012 at 11:52 pm

This is crazy. Why are we still there? What makes us think we can be the first to make any meaningful improvements to that tribal land?

Stefan October 3, 2012 at 12:00 am

Maybe we should have just let them grow opium.

Harry October 3, 2012 at 12:12 am

Maybe we should just stop the wind and the tides.

Stefan October 3, 2012 at 12:32 am

Or that. What a mess.

bowersville October 3, 2012 at 6:32 am

Sally, this is terrible. Somehow we are letting the Presidential debate bypass this. At first the neo-cons around Gov. Romney seemed to be getting their way (more military strength, military action, the most powerful military, ect.) while focusing on apology tour, foreign policy weakness, ect. While these neo-con issues are being pursued instead of focusing on Afghanistan Gov. Romney gives the President a pass on Afghanistan.

Why is our military still there? Why is Gov. Romney giving President Obama a free pass?

SallyForth October 3, 2012 at 2:15 pm

bowersville, Harry, Stefan – I’m with you guys. Thanks for chiming in and letting me know somebody else cares about the lunacy that is going on over there.

Does anybody know if there is any way we peons can get this put into the hat for discussion at one of the upcoming debates? Obama needs to be pressed to bring our troops home now (not keep spending $2 bil a week until 2014 as he is doing), before any more can be killed by the very Afghan troops they are training! It was heart wrenching to see our military commander over there talking about it Sunday night. We need to get our guys out of there. Romney should be asked if he will take action sooner than Obama’s 2014.

Making us spend over $200,000 per every man, woman and child in Afghanistan has been more than enough. Enough Americans have been killed there. We need our taxpayer money here in our own country, and military families need their loved ones.

Stefan October 3, 2012 at 3:07 pm

When is the FP debate? This one will be domestic, I’m sure.

bowersville October 3, 2012 at 3:45 pm

VP foreign and domestic policy, October 11

Presidential Foreign Policy, October 22, 2012

One of many polls, this one’s a little dated. The newest was on Huffpo.

69% favor ending the war.

saltycracker October 3, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Toss into the discussion the foreign aid financial trainwreck.

SallyForth October 3, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Maybe if we all contact both campaigns and request they address this problem on 10/22, then ask our friends to do likewise?

Does anybody know who the moderator for that one will be for that debate? It might not be a bad idea to contact them too.

Stefan October 3, 2012 at 7:55 pm

afghanistan? they’ll address afghanistan. I wouldn’t be overly concerned.

benevolus October 3, 2012 at 8:24 pm

A Dem can’t do this because many Repubs will pounce on them for being weak on foriegn policy. A Repub will have to do it, and that is unlikely.

More political parties are needed.

saltycracker October 3, 2012 at 4:32 pm

15 minutes of media fame are going to the obese TV anchor blasting back at “bullies” critical of her obesity being a bad example. She took issue with being called a bad example, not being obese (a thyroid problem was said to make it difficult to loose weight).

Her choices or medical issues may be private matters, however why wouldn’t all (some do) group health plans, private or public, have significantly increased premiums for those opting out of medical advice on obesity, smoking, drugs and other health issues ?

Comments on this entry are closed.