“Here, Hold My Beer And Watch This”

Ah, that’s the general “famous last words” of folks around these parts.  Hopefully that won’t be the last words uttered by people patronizing a new gun range in Powder Springs:

Kristina Brown and her husband own Lakeside Guns Shop in Acworth, but they are in the process of building a $3.5 million gun range called The Governor’s Club in Powder Springs.

It’s being built near a new subdivision, and some folks in the neighborhood don’t believe adult beverages and firearms necessarily make for a great cocktail.  However, the owner has said that patrons will not be able to check back into the gun range once they have bought an alcoholic drink:

Brown sent Huddleston a statement that said, “Customers will have to order a drink with their identification card and once the card is accepted, and flagged, they cannot be checked back into the range that day.” The statement went on to say, “Georgia Law allows persons with gun permits to bring their weapon into a restaurant that serves alcohol, we are taking it even a step further.”

It’s 5 o’clock somewhere…with guns!

• SallyForth says:

I suspect folks in Powder Springs have been combining the two for a while. Let me go clean my Ruger and think about it….

• Daddy Got A Gun says:

Nothing.

This is the same falsehoods stated when Georgia repealed its prohibition on carrying in restaurants that serve alcohol in 2010. What happened? Nothing, except property owners could decide for themselves whether to allow guns on their property or not.

GeorgiaCarry.Org just had their annual convention at the Waverly Hotel. People drank alcohol and were carrying guns. What happened? Nothing.

Why not? Because to carry or posses a gun, legally, one has to have a clean criminal history. Those type of law abiding people, don’t flip into gang-banging thugs when they leave the house with their GLOCKS.

• seenbetrdayz says:

True, but there’s some sort of stipulation that the restaurant can’t earn more than 20% (I think) of its income from selling alcohol. So, no all-night bars or taverns. It was intended to allow CC in places like O’Charleys or Red Lobster.

• mountainpass says:

Well in 2008 carry was allowed in restaurants that serve alcohol, not in bars. The definition then just used what the law uses to differentiate between restaurant and bar. Well in 2010 bars that gave permission were added, but the change was made to define bars differently. 16-11-127 defines bar:
            “(1) “Bar” means an establishment that is devoted to the serving of alcoholic beverages for consumption by guests on the premises and in which the serving of food is only incidental to the consumption of those beverages, including, but not limited to, taverns, nightclubs, cocktail lounges, and cabarets.”

• seenbetrdayz says:

Ok. That explains my confusion, then. I didn’t know the law was changed again in 2010. I was just happy that they got rid of the ‘public-gatherings’ clause in 2008.

• benevolus says:

” What happened? Nothing, ”

Anything to back this up? There are plenty of shootings in restaurants. Are there more now than then? Less? Do any of them involve permit carrying shooters? If nothing has changed, why did we change the law?

• benevolus says:

Yeah, I don’t know either. Just looking for some evidence to back up the statement that “nothing” has happened. I don’t think anybody expected there to be a rash of duels in the parking lot, but if someone is going to say definitively that nothing has happened, they should support that. For all I know there has been a 10% increase in shootings at bars involving permit holders.

• Daddy Got A Gun says:

There were predictions of shoot outs …. the classic claim was that there would be a shootouts over dropped chicken wings. I believe that one came from the CEO of Taco Mac who opposed both gun bills in their entirety. Taco Mac is anti-gun.

I’m sure there are shooting by licensees. There are 600K of them in Georgia so you’ll have a couple odd-balls in the set. BUT, there hasn’t been a big trend or even measurable trend of licensees breaking out their blasters.

Here’s the good new, since Georgians were allowed to carry in more places, the combined Aggravated Assault and Robbery have decreased by 11%. Clearly the criminals are getting the message that they to chose a safer crime than trying to rob us.

• benevolus says:

OK, where does that stat come from? Those gang bangers you referred to don’t seem to give a dang if anyone around them is carrying or not if watching the news is any indication, so I question that statistic. A decrease may have occurred, but attributing it to this law might be sketchy.

• benevolus says:

I just found a chart from the FBI that says that nationwide violent crime has gone down 14% over the last 5 years. And I believe Atlanta has 300-400 more cops than it did in 2008.

• Daddy Got A Gun says:

I ain’t hatin’ GLOCKs! They are what I carry and compete with. I recommend them to new gun owners as well.