What’s A City Of Atlanta Re-Zoning Vote Without An Extraneous Claim Of Racism?

David Pendered brings news via The Saporta Report that The Atlanta City Council has sent re-zoning plans for a Buckhead Wal-Mart back to negotiations with the developer.  The city’s planning department had recommended approval.

But this is the City of Atlanta, which likes to have a pro-business image but the reality of the political process is often – less than that.  After all, why approve a fairly routine re-zoning when you can link the rezoning to the state’s charter school amendment and then link the applicant to the Klan?  Would seem challenging to some, but Councilman C.T. Martin delivered it with ease:

“It just stands to reason, these entities, if they want our money, they ought to support our kinds of programs we are happy about, rather than taking our money and supporting projects that aren’t in the best interests of the community,” Martin said before the council voted 11-1 for his resolution (Councilwoman Yolanda Adrean, of Buckhead, cast the lone negative vote).

“This is almost like giving people with white sheets the money to buy white sheets,” Martin said. “There are two sides to that, and I understand.” (emphasis added, as if it isn’t blatant enough)

I can’t wait for the next time Councilman Martin is grandstanding on why businesses continue to prefer to locate in Atlanta’s suburbs instead of investing in the inner city.  I’ll be sure to rush to that press conference so I can hold up a mirror.

1. greencracker says:

This is that Wal-Mart proposed for the same block with Target, right? The same block that replaced the old K-Mart?

I mean, I’d be ill about the additional traffic if I lived there … but … I don’t see how Wal-Mart is different from Target.

2. Bob Loblaw says:

White sheets? C’mon. Haven’t you seen the KKK these days up in Blairsville? No white sheets, just white trash wanting to pick up trash.

3. Andre says:

I’m thinking it is past time for a Godwin’s Law that relates to the use of race, racism, and racial insensitivity in discussions and debates.

Given enough time, in any discussion involving metro Atlanta politics or Barack Obama, someone will inevitably accuse another individual of being racist or racially insensitive.

• greencracker says:

I think the thing is to not drop our monocles every time somebody gets racial. It’s not, like, surprising. I’ve heard ignorant racial jabs from black and white politicians both. Unless it is a seriously disturbing or dangerous threat, drawing too much attention to it, IMHO, risks making racial insults a powerful political tool.

I’m not going to give pointless insults space in my mind or writing. If you can’t say something constructive or amusing, meh, I’m not interested.

• Stefan says:

Agreed. The idea of Godwin’s law was that it is always wrong to compare any modern point of view to that of the Nazis. To ignore the racial element completely in conversations about Metro Atlanta politics would be silly, but to accept it as if the speaker who brings it up first has won (sort of a reverse Godwin’s law) or lost is what we most need to avoid.

4. saltycracker says:

Councilman Martin is going to be real popular telling the line of 1,000 job applicants that everyone should leave but the white folks.