It’s Not Too Early To Start Listening To The Rumors On Who’s Running For State GOP Chairman In 2013

September 18, 2012 9:17 am

by Nathan · 35 comments

We already know that there’s at least one person who is running for state Republican Party chairman in 2013. That man is former state senator Chip Pearson. Since current chairman Sue Everhart is term-limited, it will be an open seat and expect a number of folks will run for the open seat. In addition to Chip, there are two other names that are being floated around as considering making a run for the top Republican position in Georgia: BJ Van Gundy, current 2nd Vice Chairman of the State Party, and Shawn Hanley, former Fulton County Republican Party chairman and contender for state chairman in 2011.  Joe Dendy and Rob Doll are said to be considering a run. I’m sure other names will float around the political ether. No word on if Bert Guy is considering a run although I’m hearing he’s not planning on it at the moment, but it would be a natural progression for him since he is the current 1st Vice Chairman. Regardless, there will be a shift in Republican leadership next year. Fair warning: the convention process starts in February 2013, so expect to see announcements come out as soon as the General Election in the can.

2007 through 2013, the tenure of Sue Everhart, was a time of transition for the Republican Party. We were in the midst of a transition from a Democratically-ruled state government that started in 2002 and essentially ended in 2010. Now we leave the era of transition and enter an era of governing as a solid Republican majority.  The new state Republican chairman will be faced with maintaining the majorities in Georgia…which will be a task in and of itself. Our goal will need to be showing what we have done during our time in the majority, and what we will continue to do for Georgians if we continue to keep the majority.

I believe our state party should do two things going into the future: explore ways to get elected officials to better adhere to the platform and laying out a plan for Georgia. I have already covered the latter in a separate post, but I believe that the state party should look at ways of holding our elected officials accountable. I believe the party should be independent of the elected officials, but not vice versa. Our party lends the brand to these folks, and I don’t want them to tarnish it. Some, unfortunately, have, and I believe it’s time for folks in the Republican Party to say that enough is enough. If there is an elected official who conduct is not up to par, then I believe we have the responsibility, as representatives of our party, to call these people out on the rug and explain themselves. Unfortunately, I don’t believe an effective mechanism exists to where that can effectively be done.

For the gentlemen considering a run for the top spot Republican, our party can’t continue to solely focus on “winning elections”. We are now the governing party, and we need to make sure that our candidates and elected officials are held accountable to us, the grass root voters of Georgia. I believe that’s how we can continue to keep the trust of Georgia voters in the years to come.

NorthGAGOP September 18, 2012 at 9:39 am
Shawn Hanley 2 September 18, 2012 at 10:11 am

I want to make sure I quickly jump into this conversation. I think it’s entirely inappropriate, as well as a serious distraction, for any candidate for State GOP Chairman to be publically announcing their candidacy, sending out fliers about their candidacy or doing any serious campaigning while we’re trying to get rid of that disaster in the White House. For now, I’m focused on being a new Daddy, spending time with my family and helping Governor Romney anyway I can. I can certainly understand if potential candidates make a few phone calls, privately, while organizing behind the scenes, but that really should be the extent of any “campaigning.” For me, I’d really prefer that I’m not mentioned, or discussed, as a candidate for State GOP Chairman before we get our ticket elected. I’m good friends with BJ, Rob and Joe and I’m quite certain we share the same thoughts. On another note…..how bout them Dawgs!

Lawton Sack (Go Jackets!) September 18, 2012 at 12:00 pm

While he certainly has a right to change his mind, Bert Guy personally told me at the National Convention that he was not running. He has been involved with the GAGOP for many, many years and he felt like he wanted to focus more time with his family, as he has small children. Bert has been a tremendous asset to the GAGOP, but especially for those counties south of Macon. He was the face at most of the events held below the gnat line, and he did a wonderful job representing us on the Executive Committee. He has served with a humbleness that is refreshing in politics. To me, foregoing an excellent shot at becoming the State Chair to be with his family shows that his heart is truly in the right place.

BJ Van Gundy September 18, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Go Jackets indeed Lawton.

It is simply a distraction for anyone to be actively campaigning for Chairman at this time. It is unfortunate that this discussion had to even be started before November but with one candidate already flyering State Convention Delegates and holding organizational meetings, those of us who are planning on running have been forced to let our supporters know of our intentions.

Like I said. It is a distraction at this time.

Just as in football, any good coach tells his team not to be looking past next weekend’s game… it is not yet time for any of us to be looking past November. Let’s keep out eye on the goal.

BJ Van Gundy September 18, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Nice. Made it all the way to the last 5 words… and typo’d…..

drjay September 18, 2012 at 2:22 pm

if only there were some sort of edit or modify feature for the comments…

jackson September 18, 2012 at 3:03 pm

If only he wasn’t worried about he speck in his opponents eye.

rrrrr September 18, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Maybe it’s best to see what transpires with BJ’s good friend Charles Bannister of Gwinnett BoC fame first before advancing the “Rah Rahs” just yet…

jackson September 18, 2012 at 2:27 pm

The best part about this whole discussion with Mr. Van Gundy and Mr. Hanley is that they are already attacking their likely opponent (albeit indirectly) under the guise that a candidate for Chair shouldn’t be distracted from helping Romney. Isn’t that like kind of campaigning yourselves, but not getting in trouble for it? Its farcical.

Profit! September 18, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Good work gentlemen…let’s campaign by saying we are not campaigning. Not too early for Van Gundy to post a campaign page on facebook or for Hanley to make phone calls, as I have heard he’s doing.

None of this seems forced or self serving.

Dave Bearse September 18, 2012 at 8:33 pm

“2007 through 2013, the tenure of Sue Everhart, was a time of transition for the Republican Party. We were in the midst of a transition from a Democratically-ruled state government that started in 2002 and essentially ended in 2010.”

The transition was over before the end of 2006. Perdue was in his second term in 2007, five of the seven other constitutional offices were in GOP hands, and it was the third and second terms of solid GOP majorities in the Senate and House respectively.

Calling 2007 through 201o transitional is an excuse for the GOP having accomplished nothing of merit during those years, while logging SB31 (Plant Vogtle) and T-SPLOST legislation failures.

Harry September 18, 2012 at 8:44 pm

I didn’t realize that SB31 was a “failure”.

seenbetrdayz September 19, 2012 at 1:24 pm

It wasn’t a failure for GA Power.

Jane September 19, 2012 at 8:21 am

I think Alec Johnson wants to run. We need new blood, we need someone who has experience working to elect people in other parties.

Nathan September 19, 2012 at 8:52 am

“we need someone who has experience working to elect people in other parties”

Which begs the question of how many Republicans he has worked to get elected.

seenbetrdayz September 20, 2012 at 8:35 am

Nathan, didn’t you read Nathan’s article?

Nathan September 20, 2012 at 9:59 am

As a matter of fact, I did….and if you continue on….

Winning elections are obviously important to maintaining our majority, but I believe that we should at least evaluate how to keep the folks that run as Republicans accountable to our platform. They are ultimately accountable to the voters, but I’d like to explore options within the party. It doesn’t hurt to discuss these things.

I don’t want to have a state chairman who’s claim to fame is that he has experience in working to get people elected in other parties. By other parties, did he help a Democrat, Libertarian, Green, or Pirate running for public office? Was it something where he helped a friend of his in another state was vying for an office in that state’s Republican Party? I believe those are legitimate questions for someone who wants to take the top spot for Republicans in the state of Georgia.

seenbetrdayz September 20, 2012 at 10:22 am

Well, how many GA republicans are former democrats? Apparently, Nathan Deal (D 1992, R 2012) is good enough to be governor, but not good enough to be the state GOP chairman, by those standards.

The GOP voter base is shrinking. The Grand [keyword>*Old*</keyword] Party largely consists of old, white people, and the demographics are changing. To grow your party, you may have to look at possibilities that are or have been outside the realm of the Republican base. If they don't come from Ds, Ls, or maybe even a few pirates, lol, where are they going to come from?

As I said before, it appears that the GOP's strategy is to have its current members live forever, or else start registering dead people to vote. The former is not possibile, the latter is not legal. Let's pay close attention to voter break-down this November, especially the 18-29 age bracket and figure out if the status quo is a viable future for the GOP.

I do agree with you on accountability, though. If the GOP 'mans up' and starts holding its own accountable, that might inspire newcomers to look into the party. Otherwise, it just looks like a bunch of red-team, blue-team cheerleading and not too many independents get enthusiastic about that when there are real issues at hand.

Ken September 21, 2012 at 1:14 am

seen,

Nathan Deal would not be elected Georgia GOP Chairman. Seriously. It’s two different things.

Politicians act in their own best interests. The GAGOP’s best interests often do not align with the best interests of individual politicians. The party needs to be independent of any elected official – and people who intend to become elected officials.

Calypso September 21, 2012 at 5:55 am

Case in point, Sue Everhart v. Tricia Pridemore and their respective supporters.

atlantakiwi September 19, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Do you mean Alex Johnson in DeKalb County? And we would elect one of the biggest
Ron Paulers in Georgia as State GOP Chairman because…………?

seenbetrdayz September 20, 2012 at 8:15 am

Because all the cool states are doing it?

Well, let’s just go back and reread Charlie’s post on demographics. Whether or not Alex helped anyone get elected so far, is one thing.

But the part about the GOP needing ‘new blood’ is exactly right. Unless your plan is to live forever and vote eternally, something is going to have to get young people into your party (and I don’t mean a few college republicans here and there; I’m not knocking them but there just aren’t that many compared to college democrats). You could elect a 25 year old as one of the youngest GOP chairmen in the country and perhaps win over some cool points, for an otherwise boring party that listened to Little Richard’s “(You make me wanna) Shout” when the nominee was announced at RNC Convention. (For comparison: The DNC had Foo Fighters, lol)

Nathan September 20, 2012 at 8:31 am

“for an otherwise boring party that listened to Little Richard’s “(You make me wanna) Shout” when the nominee was announced at RNC Convention. (For comparison: The DNC had Foo Fighters, lol)”

I vote for AC/DC or Def Leppard.

seenbetrdayz September 20, 2012 at 8:36 am

Getting warmer.

Joshua Morris September 19, 2012 at 11:06 am

As counterintuitive as it may seem to some, I want a GAGOP chairperson who promotes primary challenges for all candidates. Incumbent protection by state and local parties is a large part of the reason that we have state legislators, congressmen, and senators who stay in office for decades and stray from their stated principles with no consequences. Parties directly and indirectly help incumbents build war chests that are nearly impossible to challenge, and this is why we hear discussions about term limits. The chairperson should never, ever talk about re-electing any incumbent between a general election and the following primary. I believe promoting primary challenges is the only chance we have to elect candidates who represent the People and not just party leaders and big donors.

Charlie September 19, 2012 at 11:08 am

So I can bump this comment up to the front with a headline reading “Gainesville’s Josh Morris calls for primary opponent for Governor Deal”? :)

Joshua Morris September 19, 2012 at 12:15 pm

and LG Cagle, and Sen Chambliss, and Sen Isakson…

Robin Wheeler September 20, 2012 at 11:00 am

YES! FINALLY! A candidate!!

Calypso September 19, 2012 at 11:52 am

Josh, I’m confused my what you’re saying.

First it’s, “I want a GAGOP chairperson who promotes primary challenges for all candidates.”

Then you say, “The chairperson should never, ever talk about re-electing any incumbent between a general election and the following primary.”

So the chairperson should never support a GOP incumbent and always promote a primary challenger?

If I’m reading that right, that’s just plain goofy.

Joshua Morris September 19, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I’m not saying the chair should support the challenger, just that he or she should support having a challenger in each primary.

seenbetrdayz September 20, 2012 at 8:27 am

I like options. Who doesn’t like options?

(Incidentally, if I ask that question, am I giving people an option on the matter? See what I did there?)

David Staples September 19, 2012 at 12:17 pm

“I believe that the state party should look at ways of holding our elected officials accountable. I believe the party should be independent of the elected officials, but not vice versa. Our party lends the brand to these folks, and I don’t want them to tarnish it. Some, unfortunately, have, and I believe it’s time for folks in the Republican Party to say that enough is enough. If there is an elected official who conduct is not up to par, then I believe we have the responsibility, as representatives of our party, to call these people out on the rug and explain themselves. Unfortunately, I don’t believe an effective mechanism exists to where that can effectively be done.”

At least in one race this year there is a way to hold one person accountable. That’s the district 5 seat of the PSC. I’m running as a Libertarian in a two-way statewide race against an 18 year incumbent. Without being repetitive and talking about the number of ethical issues he has in detail, I’ll leave it at this. The PSC should probably be a nonpartisan race. Ethics is a nonpartisan issue and social conservatives won’t really find their particular issues being an issue at all in front of the PSC. However, anyone who wants a fiscal conservative and is against cronyism should closely take a look at this race and consider voting Libertarian. There is no Democrat in this race. Hold Stan accountable. Send the message that “enough is enough”.

SallyForth September 19, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Since we’re talking about the GA state party here, could somebody also tell us what’s going on with the GA Democratic Party? Having a functional opposing party is one way to keep our GA Republicans from going totally overboard (maybe!).
I’ve heard all sorts of rumors about the Dem’s continued infighting, one report saying things are so bad that the DNC refused to seat the GA members at Charlotte. Does anybody on here know what’s up with the loyal opposition?

seenbetrdayz September 19, 2012 at 1:26 pm

The future of the democratic party in GA will likely be determined by how many republicans stay home this November.

SallyForth September 19, 2012 at 3:09 pm

seen, with so few D’s on the ballot around the state, I don’t think even turn-out can make any difference at the Legislature. Looks like their state party did not even recruit candidates this year. If it goes like ’08 did, most Democrats will go vote for Obama and not even vote down ticket.

Comments on this entry are closed.