Balfour Being Investigated By GBI

We’re getting word from sources that Senator Don Balfour (R-SD9) is being investigated by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. Lori Geary of WSB is apparently doing a story at 6p. Stay tuned for further details.

1. debbie0040 says:

Wonder what the members of the Senate Committee on Assignments are thinking right now? Maybe “Oh, crap, we finally have to take action” or we will end up looking just as un-ethical as Sen. Balfour looks and the scrutiny will turn to us .”

When will the Committee on Assignments realize that Sen. Balfour is a pox on their house?

2. saltycracker says:

wsb-tv: “People need to realize the Senate ethics committee does not have subpoena power,” (Senator) McKoon said.

Anyone believe the Ethics Committee is stymied without subpoena power ?

3. jpmsouth says:

GOOD! WE need to either exonerate Balfour or put a stake through Balfour’s heart. There is a special tier in hell for betrayal of public trust. Glad the AG is doing the right thing to resolve the mess created by the r leadership.

4. Daddy Got A Gun says:

Hopefully, they investigate why the Audit Committee was never created. That string will lead bigger fish fudging their per-diems and represents an element of criminal conspiracy.

5. debbie0040 says:

Matt, you are way off base. When I first started this whole Balfour complaint deal, it was because someone named Michael Christian filed an ethics complaint and I began to look at it in order to file one of my own. I will say this ONE MORE TIME for the record. Sen. Shafer DID NOT ask me or hint at me to file a complaint. He NEVER, EVER made an initial contact with me on this.I did a search and read Walls excellent investigative piece on Balfour and because there was a recent article in the AJC about it and Sen. Balfour’s perceived lack of ethics. He made his arrogant statements regarding our ethics reform bill and the bill that stated if the state collects a fee for something, it should go to that something and not go in the general fund.. We started looking more closely because he was the 3rd most powerful Senator and was blocking ethics legislation.

David Shafer never contacted me. After the whole thing was underway, I reached out to Sen. Shafer to ask for advise on the proper procedure to follow.

It is really disappointing that some Republican employ the same tactics as the Democrats do – if you can not discredit the message, then try to discredit the messenger. It is not just disappointing, it is disgusting and I have had it with that mentality.

• Napoleon says:

Debbie Dooley illustrates perfectly the old saying that Reagan frequently quoted and had placed on a plaque on his desk, “There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesnโ€™t mind who gets the credit.”

• debbie0040 says:

Napoleon, I have more than a few people tell me that I need to realize that Sen. Shafer has an agenda and that I need to stop letting him push me to do this. That is total crap!!! No one put me up to file the complaints I filed. No one up the most courageous and best public servant in the State Senate (Josh McKoon)to push it even further than I could have ever dreamed of .

There are allies of Sen. Balfour that are actively trying to deflect from the un-ethical and possibly illegal deeds Sen Balfour did by claiming that is is just Senate politics.

6. seenbetrdayz says:

I hear that Balfour told one GBI investigator, “I’ve been doing it this way for 20 years and no one’s investigated me yet.”

7. Jackster says:

I’m sure the AG takes solice in the fact that there are 20 years worth of shenanigans, so when the GBI comes back with their evidence, it will lock up the charges.

In the mean time – Is it just me, or are most establishment types playing the “Run Silent, Run Deep” strategy? Also known as the “If you ignore it, it will go away”

• Dave Bearse says:

There’s the intense interest, long memory and high intelligence of Georgia voters on one hand (snark), and the fact that the establishment is two years away from the next election now that the primary is over.

It may not go away, but none of ’em are going to suffer any repercussions.

8. seekingtounderstand says:

Maybe its time for one of the big dogs to go to jail to appease the cry for ethics?
    See we do hold our own accountable,…………….is it time to throw one under the bus to save others?