Morning Reads for Friday, August 31, 2012

Here:
Russ promoted to full-fledged UGA mascot. Damn Good Dog.
– Gee, folks, let’s just make everything that much worse: Potential longshoreman strike in Georgia ports.
– New Representative Charles Gregory (District 34) plans to shakes things up.
– Calls for Balfour’s Dethronement continue unabated.
– Expect horrible traffic this afternoon thanks to the collision of a holiday weekend, NASCAR and DragonCon. At least the GDOT has the sense to stay away.

There:
– Clint’s “talk” last night reminded me of conversations with my dad.
Texas Voter ID law shot down.
– Since PP has already done a fine job covering the RNC, here’s a preview of next week’s DNC speeches.
– Rain, rain, go away. Really. Please. Yes. Go away.

Random Everywhere:
Whhhhhaaat?
Andy Roddick to retire after U.S. Open.
– Here’s a new one for movie geeks: The Master.

• I Miss the 90s says:

Tell me about it! The Eastwood performance was worse than the Christie performance.

It leads me to suspect that both think Romney is wrong for the job.

• Jackster says:

Ugh. Look, Clint Eastwood I’m sure is a lovely man, who has a genuine message.

But I would have rather seen him in character from Gran Torino. Lots of racist remarks, lots of gruff, and a pistol to boot.

I’m sure the base is now properly motivated, but I have to tell you, the first one to ACTUALLY bring troops home and end the two wars gets my vote.

Obama can do this before election day. Romney can indicate it will happen end of January.

• Engineer says:

Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against Mr. Eastwood, but his speech just dragged on and he kept stumbling on his lines at times.

• SallyForth says:

Huh? Were we watching the same thing?? Eastwood was cool with his empty chair routine, did a lot of straight talk in his laid-back manner while throwing in some humor, straight into the camera, didn’t even look like he was using a prompter. I have friends who live in Carmel, and they are all up in that California casual thing too, loved him as their mayor.

• Engineer says:

Sorry to hear it, I always enjoyed listening to Project 96.1 when I was traveling through north Georgia. While I do enjoy country, I don’t like to listen to country 24/7 (at least half of the stations down here are country format, maybe 10% at best are rock, less than 5% when you look for modern rock). I keep getting tempted more and more to switch to satellite radio, but then I remember that I really don’t want to pay yet another monthly bill for something..

• Noway says:

Say it ain’t so TJ! I still long for Z93 and 96 Rock. I still have my Hot ‘Lanta Home Cookin’ album , circa 1979, featuring Billy Greer with ‘Cold Hearted Woman’!!! Just Damn!

• Three Jack says:

I’m with you Noway. Z93, 96Rock, those were great stations/formats. I had the dial set to 96.1 on the way home last night and kept hearing these weird noises (Katy Perry, Usher, etc. with Ryan freakin Seacrest as DJ) last night. Come to find out they did a program change…just damn! End of an era in the ATL.

• Three Jack says:

Absolutely! Even participated a couple of times. 250,000 of your closest friends on the river, beer and other mind altering stuff flowing, gals having fun on the back decks of their Riverbend apartments, what could possibly go wrong? It was a blast!

• SallyForth says:

The raft race was fun, but Z93 was a necessity of life for me – never could have made it to work each day without Gary McKee in the mornings.

• Noway says:

I remember Machine Gun Gary very well as well as the Aussie Craig Ashwood. Our high school won the Spirit Contest in 1975 by signing all of those petitions. We got a juke box for hour efforts!!

• saltycracker says:

That remark created some flashback memories…..good but mostly fuzzy !
              Didn’t the gals mean the raft was deflating when they were screaming “shrinkage !” ?

• Jackster says:

Didn’t they just hire two “shock” jocks, who ended up being flops?

i’m sad 96rock is gone, but I suppose the whole listener controlled radio didn’t work.

1. John Walraven says:

I don’t know what I’m going to do without DaveFM. Its been preset #1 in my car as long as its been on the air. I guess I better go satellite.

2. Joshua Morris says:

“Libertarian ideas are essentially the same ideas that are written for the conservative party. If you look at the principles of the Republican Party as written, they’re very libertarian. It’s just libertarians actually believe in following them.” – Charles Gregory

The poor kid is confused. Republican Party principles are not libertarian, they’re conservative. Most people who think they lean libertarian are just conservative, and they have no idea where libertarianism came from (i.e. Rothbard, Hospers, Rousseau, etc.).

3. Dave Bearse says:

The Senate Ethics Committee’s disposition of the Balfour complaints was a dissappointment. Don’t look for the Committee on Assignments (CoA) to do anything either. I quickly checked CoA) membership in response to the link about Unterman, and the entire nest, Bill Cowsert, Jeff Mullis, Chip Rogers, Shafer, Cecil Staton and Tommie Williams are running without any Democratic opposition. CoA membership can’t even be threatened with God forbid voting for a Dem (which as we’re seeing with Mittens is a hollow threat anyway).

My prediction is that Balfour is safe so long as he’s stays clear of the power struggles within the Senate. Georgia politicians well know that your average dumbbell Georgia voter will have long forgotten about Balfour come 2014, and that’s if if they were ever even aware of it 2012, so long a Balfour keeps out of the limelight ’til then.