Morning Reads for Wednesday, August 29

Pardon me if this is squirrely; I’m having to type this on the WP iPad app rather than my laptop (1st world problems). Also, I’m not including much from last night — this crowd has already been there, done that.

Here in Georgia:

Governor Deal announced the state will reject the expansion of Medicaid under the ACA
Fulton County is seeking a lobbyist, presumably to fight the creation of Milton County
Gwinnett Chamber, Georgia PTA receiving pushback on charter school amendment
Mayor Kasim Reed’s remarks to Ted Cruz on Meet the Press are being widely circulated

National / International Stories of Interest:

Ann Romney: “trust Mitt”
Condi’s back on the national scene with a prime time slot tonight
Freshman U.S. Rep. Ben Quayle (R-AZ) lost last night’s primary
Assad claims Syrian troops are gaining ground, declares talk of buffer zones are off the table
SEAL book discloses more “facts” on bin Laden raid, mentions members of SEAL team were not fans of POTUS or Veep

Links I Like:

What a Romney presidency means for his super donors
Apple wants injunction against 8 Samsung phones
Google’s swanky digs at the GOP convention

1. Jackster says:

@bullfrog – Ain’t it funny how the first words you learn in a foreign language are usually curse words?

On another note, yesterday, I called for Senator Renee Unterman to call for a meeting of the Committee on Assignments to have Balfour removed. I tagged her on facebook, so that she would see it.

Well, when i went to go praise her for soliciting feedback on the failed t-splost in another post, I found she had de-friended me, and removed herself from the FB post asking her to disassociate the leadership from Balfour.

I can’t tell if this is tone deaf or poor Facebook etiquette; I’m pretty sure it’s tone deafness, since they were knee jerk reactions to constituent concerns.

Then again, I do see a running theme here with republican state leadership: Run silent, run deep, and the problem will go away. (From Deal’s playbook)

• Bob Loblaw says:

Exactly how she should treat someone nagging her to whip out her bat and beat the dead horse along with you. Go Renee! Move on!

• Jackster says:

yeah, i don’t think it’s a dead horse yet. Also, she could post a response with some sort of position to spin her to look amazing.

Bob, I’m sorry I didn’t immediately make a campaign donation with the comment “Please use this to remove don balfour”. Maybe that would have been a better approach.

So at this point, you think Balfour should stay in the leadership? Doesn’t that only solidify the senate’s perception as corrupt and rigged?

• Jackster says:

Bob – I’d welcome a private exchange on the matter, since obviously you have a different paradigm than I do. the email is: jack . mcclure @ gmail dot com

2. xdog says:

Ben Quayle found out that what happens in the Sea of Galilee doesn’t stay in the Sea of Galilee. Losing a crafted seat to Congress after one term shows he’s fully as smart as his dad.

• saltycracker says:

Hmmmm
      Cost of camera
      Cost of installation
      Cost of monitoring
      Cost of response
      Cost of arrest for smoking a joint
      Cost of processing
      Cost of public defender
      Cost of judge
      Cost of trial
      Cost of jail time
      Cost of meals & health care

One more dangerous criminal off the street – priceless
      Can’t wait to pay my taxes for this activity………not