Handel Inks Book Deal, “Planned Bullyhood” To Hit Shelves In September.

Former Georgia SoS and candidate for Governor Karen Handel has reportedly signed a deal with Howard Books to write a book. The working title is “Planned Bullyhood” so I think it’s safe to assume the topic is her time at the Susan B. Komen Foundation.

Handel is a former senior vice president of public policy at Komen. She resigned in February amid a furious public debate over the breast cancer charity’s decision to cut off, then reinstate funding for Planned Parenthood.

Good for her. I look forward to reading it.

1. David C says:

Looks like someone’s auditioning to be Martyr of the Year….

And really, Planned Bullyhood is the best you can come up with? Really?

• Happy Face says:

I hear when they make it into a movie, it’s going to be a musical called “Planned Bollywood”. Sonny Perdue dusts off his acting credential to play the part of the Buddha.

2. ZazaPachulia says:

When you snatch defeat from the jaws of victory you get despondent. When you get despondent you use your bully pulpit to build yourself up. When you use your bully pulpit, you tick people off. When you tick people off you get fired. When you get fired, you pen a manifesto raging against the injustice of it all. When you rage against the injustice of it all, Howard Books signs you to a deal and you lose the last shred of credibility you had left. Don’t lose your last shred of credibility. Get rid of cable and upgrade to DirectTV.

3. George Dickel says:

I haven’t been around here long enough to know if “Good for her, I look forward to reading it,” was written with a straight face. A little help?

• South Fulton Guy says:

Err….let me break it down into “plain language” I am not refering to Komen “Happy Face” I am referring to Peach Pundit posters in this thread…

• ZazaPachulia says:

I just don’t understand how she lost. I still can’t figure it out… (I can’t figure out how Barnes lost, either, but at least he can blame the ‘D’ next to his name on the ballot. Handel did not have that convenient excuse)

And writing a book about how Planned Parenthood ganged up on her is a pretty terrible idea.

• Bob Loblaw says:

Seriously? You can’t figure out how Barnes lost? Which loss? When he got thrashed by Deal or when he got thrashed by the teachers/flaggers/everyone else sick of his bullying?

Deal won because he had the largest geographic base and they’d elected him for about two decades. Plus, Handel hammered everyone like she was holier-than-thou. She must have thought she was running for hall monitor. She was, as most pro-lifers are in GA, not “pro life enough” for Dan Becker. In a GOP runoff, that hurts. Especially when having to defend sending money to Planned Parenthood while running Fulton County. Even if the attack was unfair, being that those funds were directed for services other than abortion, it allowed Becker and Deal to say she freed up more funds for Abortion.

If anyone tried to inject gender into the campaign it was Handel with the aforementioned “big boy pants” b.s. Epic fail, there. Childish, even.

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

I always loved her campaign slogan “Bring it on!” So original, and a keeper. Loved the pants comment too. Loved how she jumped from elected position to election position before her term was completed…show’s ambition…..Haters will always hate on women….

4. CobbGOPer says:

I’m not hating on Karen, I’m just not interested in perpetuating the story. All it does is divide people, and keep alive a wedge issue. Like entitlement reform, it’s not something you want to talk about when you’re trying to win a campaign. Particularly when your numbers with women are awful.

• CobbGOPer says:

If she must write a book, at least wait until after the election.

– Free the Modify feature –

5. debbie0040 says:

I am glad to see Karen do well and it is clear from some of the comments that she stepped on quite a few toes going after the good ole by network. Good for her!!

I hope Karen stays engaged for some time to come. We need her..

6. debbie0040 says:

I agree with South Fulton. I think some of you have issues with strong women. It is clear from some of the comments…

• Lea Thrace says:

I am a woman and I wholeheartedly think her book is a stupid move.

What purpose is this book going to serve? What position is it going to reveal that we didnt already hear about exhaustively when the Komen thing first happened?

Let it go and move on. Sheesh.

• Happy Face says:

I see. Anyone who has a problem with a Republican who talks out of both sides of her mouth is sexist. Is this the new race cards?

She was for equal rights for gays until she got out of Fulton County, then she was against them. Or was she against them before she was for them?

She was for giving Planned Parenthood money for non-abortion related activities until she it cost her an election. Or was she against it before she was for it? Hard to tell with Karen.

Maybe people aren’t attacking her for being a woman and just are tired of the arrogance of politicians who think they can flip flop on any issue and pretend they didn’t. I don’t have a problem with a person changing their views. People change over time as the gain more and experience. I don’t like it when those changes always happen when it makes electoral sense.

I realize it is common for politicians to lie to the public. For many it’s as easy as breathing for them but I sure as heck am not going to give them a free pass just because they’re in the same party as me or someone throws out a lame charge of sexism each time they’re held accountable for their actions and words.

7. George Dickel says:

Having the platform to get a book published says “strong woman” to me. Naming that book “Planned Bullyhood” and presumably focusing it on the already well-known story of Handel’s short time with Komen most certainly does not. Social conservatives spend as much time playing the victim card as they do painting Democrats, moderates, and “RINO’s” with it.

• Happy Face says:

This will be the death of the party on the national stage. It’s not too late but I doubt the party can be taken back from the social conservatives. We made room for them under the tent and they decided to kick the rest of us out into the rain. We’re headed to becoming the new Dixiecrats because we as a party don’t care about anything more than we care about gays and abortion.

8. NorthGAGOP says:

The Handel haters are out in force.

Is there an advanced copy of the book out? Does anybody have a copy they would be willing to share?

I’m looking forward to reading the book, and seeing what she has to say.

9. jbgotcha says:

She knows her political career is pretty much toast, so she is doing what any god loving capitalist would do…make as much money as possible while she has the chance. There will obviously be no shortage of people to buy the book.