And I would’ve got away with it too had it not been for those meddling kids!

This post from  The Perspicacious Conservative appeared in the PP inbox.  I couldn’t find a name on the blog, so we’ll call her Miss PC.  (Truth – I had to Google the definition of perspicacious.)

According to Miss PC’s Gold Dome Power Players vs. Local Bloggers post:

Back in May, I published a post detailing John Albers’ redistricting shenanigans in regards to Brandon Beach and the primary race in Senate District 21. I expressed my support for Brandon Beach in the district based on my personal interactions with him and his plans for Fulton and Cherokee counties.

Now, there are a few things to understand. It’s been two years since I worked on the Albers Senate campaign and I sealed the bad memories solely on the fact that I have had no issue succeeding since I left Mr. Albers and figured he would self-destruct on his own. Even though I did not sign a confidentiality agreement, I originally planned to just “let it go”.

Spoiler alert: she has not let it go.

From here, some of the comments get gossipy and catty, but here’s the thing – what’s gonna happen when all the young blonde interns collectively start putting their information together and find their voice?

Are bloggers and social media savvy interns the next best thing to true Ethics Reform?

1. CCFRG says:

Albers or “Senator Know it All” is a fraud. Too bad he didn’t have a real opponent this year.

• Harry says:

Why a fraud? I like his proposal to require drug testing in order to receive TANF benefits. The critics say the costs would be greater than the benefits, but I don’t think so.

2. I Miss the 90s says:

The idea of a perspicacious conservative is an oxymoron. Reactionary ideologies inherently do not look forward, nor do they really try.

• 5MinuteMan says:

Also had to double-check perspicacious to make sure I had the right meaning (MWD: Having a ready insight into and understanding of things.) If anything, perspicacious liberal is an oxymoron as the progressive vision for America is not grounded in reality. Conservatives tend to view things as they are.

As for Perspicacious Conservative, why the sour grapes? The link is nothing more than a rant detailing her past history with Senator Albers, but few facts to back up her argument. Some of his bills weren’t perfect, but the drug testing bill and the Medicaid ID verification are both legitimate proposals for combating real problems.

• Stefan says:

The drug testing bill was excellent politics, but makes for poor governmental policy. The endless pursuit of government waste is wasteful in itself, from a cost benefit analysis. It is exactly the type of bill someone should write to inspire a limited base and force a veto or a stoppage, because it plays well publicly and has a short, difficult to combat argument in favor.

But I didn’t see the post as really about Senator Albers, but about the necessity for leaving on good terms with your campaign staff. Political jobs are short in nature, but high in stress and hours. Those young workers will either be inspired or drained. Much of the way they view politicians and government will spring from the experience. It’s a heavy burden for the candidate to carry, in addition to, you know, actually trying to get elected.

• I Miss the 90s says:

All right 300second man, I will play the word game with you.

The progressive vision is grounded in reality, at least more so than the conservative vision. The conservative understanding of the progressive vision is mistaken. Conservatives do not view things the way they are. Stop flattering yourself. They have nostalgic feelings for a romanticized version of the past that they wish to bring back to the present. Progressives are satisfied with neither the past nor the present, so they work to create a future they believe to be better. That being said, you are only concerned about what little bit of a far-left the US has and guess what, they are just as wrong as the conservatives. That is the thing about ideology: it is not reality. Ideologies do not open up minds or give sight; they blind. Because of this ideologues tend to get stuff wrong.

On a more important note, having and ideology does not make one correct or incorrect. Being a conservative does not make one smart…same with being a progressive. I have been telling people for weeks that if the T-SPLOST fails Wall Street will notice and not be happy about it. On political insider a bunch of conservative morons said I was wrong. Guess what Moody’s did? They let the investment world know that Georgia is not a good place to invest, giving us a ‘credit-negative.’ I was telling people the same bit when the debt-ceiling debacle occurred and the tea party got the US credit rating downgraded. But, again, the right-wing said I was just some stupid liberal.

Guess what? I am a liberal, a progressive, whatever you want to call it (provided you do not use pejoratives). I was correct, the right-wing was, in aggregate, incorrect. I was not correct because I am a progressive though; I will add that conservatism was probably part of the cause of conservatives getting it wrong: they were blinded. Any smart college student can see that the T-SPLOST failure or the debt-ceiling not being raised would cause economic problems. These are political issues though, and for some reason when politics comes to the fore people get stupid.

Despite the fact that they were called Democrats before the early 2000s, GA has been run by conservatives since…forever. Guess what? It isn’t working! GA is still at the bottom of the rankings on nearly every measure of aggregate state performance. Banking, education, housing, poverty, unemployment, political and social equality, etc. This is nothing new and has been recognized by politicos and economists for decades.

I can go on, but it is probably futile. The bottom-line is simple: the Southern states have experimented with conservatism for decades and it hasn’t worked. Some ‘conservatives’ are beginning to see this and are turning, hopelessly, to the libertarian ideology…but even they are only one or two more recessions away from abandoning conservatism wholesale. Liberals get stuff wrong too…but they at least believe in having a safety net available to prevent their mistakes from totally gutting society.

3. Nature abhors a vacuum. In a state where the former ethics committee has been left gutted and toothless, and where too many small-town papers value advertisers over telling readers the hard truth, we have a huge vacuum where bloggers like myself are finding room to work. We’re criticized for not being professional by those who no longer even try to do this at all, and attacked (in our case literally threatened) by leaders who have grown complacent and used to operating in the dark.

— LU

• CobbGOPer says:

If someone threatened me their name would be all over my blog, if I had one. Willing to name names? No pressure, but if a politician is threatening you because you want to hold them to an ethical standard, that’s wrong, and they should be publicly shamed.

4. We’ve been naming his name. It’s defeated Walker County Chief Magistrate Judge candidate Burce Coker, a deputy with the county Sheriff’s Department. One of our contributors did an open records request on an unaccountable charity he runs within the SO, and after he delayed responding for five weeks we ran the rumor and said what the request was asking for. He posted the name, address, phone number, and e-mail of our contributor on his Facebook and made a threat against him in comments on our blog. He also has been harassing the contributor’s former employer.

He finally complied with the open records request on election day, we got some of the material requested, and whatwe got verifies that he has been misusing funds from the charity he runs. Those documents go online tonight, but he’s still a potential threat. Meanwhile his boss, our soon-to-have-five-terms sheriff, won’t do anything to stop him.

— LU