No Recount For McKillip

Rep. Doug McKillip has decided against seeking a recount in HD117. Challenger Regina Quick defeated McKillip 50.44% to 49.56%, a mere 64 votes.

In fact, McKillip said, he sent a congratulatory e-mail to the winner of the Republican primary, Athens attorney Regina Quick, on Wednesday
“I enjoyed my time in public service and I hope she does, too,” McKillip said.

Now that his legislative term is winding down, McKillip said he’s looking forward to spending more time with his family.

Having worked with Doug for the past two years I know his conversion to Christianity was genuine. It’s tough to explain that in a political campaign. I wish Doug and his family the best and congratulate Regina Quick on her victory.

1. Toxic Avenger says:

With all due respect, Buzz, I am not sure what Christianity has to do with anything. I know hundreds of devout and religious Christians of all denominations that are Democrats. It truly aggravates me when anyone equates one’s religious affiliation with their political beliefs.

The issue here is slightly more complex. One week, McKillip was a liberal Democrat, selected by his colleagues to serve as the leader of the caucus. The very next, he was magically a conservative Republican. No religious or political conversion occurs that abruptly.

I do not doubt that McKillip and his family are devoutly and genuinely Christian. Who am I to doubt another’s religious beliefs? But this ain’t about religion.

• Charlie says:

I’ll let Buzz correct if I’m mistaken, but I believe he’s referring to McKillip’s switch on the pro-life issue. As such, it’s plausable for that public policy switch.

• Toxic Avenger says:

Perhaps. But I also note that to equate being a Christian to being pro-life is also disingenuous. I reiterate that I know many pro-choice Christians as well.

But, just to be clear, I too know (knew?) Doug McKillip, and I knew him as a liberal, uber pro-choice Democrat. That switch was still rather abrupt.

• Still I know plenty of people who go to church every week who aren’t crazy on abortion. As much as I don’t like Mike Jacobs, he (and the rural Democrats who switched) did it right – I’ve still got pretty much the same positions but I’m just calling myself an R now because they run the state. Whenever someone like McKillip does it in such a flamboyant way it makes me think that he doth protest a little too much about his new/old positions.

• With all due respect, I didn’t equate religious views with political ones, you’re putting words into my post. Doug had said his change from Democrat to Republican was precipitated by his conversion to Christianity. I believe him.

• Toxic Avenger says:

ricstewart, below, best sums up why I must respectfully disagree with Doug McKillip’s version of the events:

“What I do question is why he waited from 2009 – when he became a “saved Christian” – to December 2010, after winning re-election, to change his party affiliation.
        Why didn’t he switch parties after his conversion in 2009? Why didn’t he switch parties during qualifying in May 2010? After his change of heart, why did he still run for chairman of the House Democratic Caucus in November of 2010?”

So, in short, no, I do not believe for a damn second that his change to the GOP had anything to do with any sort of religious conversion. And I do apologize for implying things that may not have been there, but you can’t blame me given the context of the post itself.

2. My I just add to Mr. Bo Mabry – looks like you aren’t as good at drawing maps as you thought you were.

And to the many Democratic consultants who brought Doug McKillip into the political world in 2000 and 2006 who helped to usher him out this week – congrats friends, well done.

3. ryanhawk says:

Doug did a great job of explaining his conversion — both to Christianity and to the Republican party. Quick’s win was driven by payback from Democrats, and they did just enough to win.

4. CobbGOPer says:

Forgive me if I have no problem with a former Democrat who switched parties being drummed out. There’s another one in the Governor’s mansion that could use the same treatment. I’ve already photoshopped a great mail piece with a nice big picture of Deal and KR from Monday: “Working together to raise your taxes!” in bold across the top.

5. Blog Goliard says:

I didn’t dismiss McKillip’s conversion story and sincerity out of hand. But three things, more than anything else, convinced me that I could not vote for him under any circumstances:

1) If you’ve been elected as a member of a particular party and with a particular platform, that defines the general boundaries of your mandate from the voters. If you repudiate both in the middle of your term–even if that repudiation takes you much closer to my own views, as it did here–the only honorable course is to resign and seek re-election under your new colors. Otherwise, you’re disrespecting the intent of the voters: who cares what they thought your principles were and what you were proposing to do; the only important thing is that you, the most important person in the universe, not have to give up your office.

2) In 2006, McKillip (D) ran against Quick (R) for the same seat. Neither were particularly unconventional representatives of their respective parties. In 2012, McKillip (R) faced Quick (R) in a rematch. Again, neither were particularly unconventional representatives of their party (now singular).

I simply can’t fathom how much chutzpah, or how little self-awareness, or how much contempt for the electorate–or some mixture of all three–it required for McKillip to make the cornerstone of his campaign the claim that he was a trusty true-blue conservative Republican and his opponent wasn’t. So she’s voted in Democratic primaries before, and given money to Democrats. So have I…but in general elections, I’ve given more to and cast more votes for Libertarians than for Democrats. (Bet McKillip can’t say that.)

And really, the stupidity of trying to make a Republican primary for the state House into a referendum on Obama–whether or not you backed him in 2008, though of course that makes it much, much worse–is so immense that it has its own gravitational field.

3) The sheer volume of shrill mailings and irritating robocalls and nails-on-blackboard “lady fibber” radio ads had me primed, by Primary Day, to vote for Kim Jong-un if necessary, if that’s what it would take to make McKillip go away. More is not always more, folks…especially when every single scrap of it insults the intelligence of even your average low-information voter. Did his campaign team have so little regard for his constituents that they thought bludgeoning them into submission was the best strategy? Is McKillip such a megalomaniacal narcissist that spending-happy consultants were able to persuade him that his constituents would be disappointed if they didn’t hear from him three times a day?

Reflect on how horrible your campaign was, Mr. McKillip, and on what unflattering inferences regarding your character that your constituents might have reasonably drawn from it. Learn from it. Temper your worst qualities, and augment your best. Seek to understand the difference between honest hard-working ambition and a vain lust for advancement at all costs.

Then come back and try again. I sincerely hope you’ll be a candidate I can support next time around.

(But please don’t call my house more than once a fortnight. Otherwise, I’ll be forced to send a sawbuck to the Kim Jong-un For Georgia House campaign.)

6. The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

I just love to see when a backstabbing turncoat finally gets what’s coming to them.

• SallyForth says:

LOL! Thanks, for the tid-bit, Chris. So much for a black “Young Dem Poo-Bah” flipping party shortly after the national convention, huh?
      Republicans seem to have done some housecleaning on party switchers yesterday, as Charlie pointed out in another post.

7. ricstewart says:

I have no reason to question McKillip’s religious conversion.