Georgia Democrats Elect A Republican; Want $3

Georgia Democrats have just issued a rather unique fundraising appeal.  They proudly boast of working to elect Regina Quick in yesterday’s Athens area GOP primary, and would like you to donate $3 to celebrate. Or something.

Due to smart planning, good organizing and a hefty dose of help from the Georgia Democratic House Caucus, over 1,000 loyal Democrats picked a GOP ballot yesterday with a single goal… to vote out Rep. McKillip in the Republican primary.

If your best success you can triumph is electing a Republican, then I stand by my assertion in today’s column that attempting to fix the Republican party from within by calling out bad actors and failed leadership doesn’t help the Democrats.  After all, they’re apparently spending their time with “smart planning” and “good organizing” to help…us.

• SallyForth says:

Agreed. The winner now faces no opposition in November – the Democrats ensured a Republican still holds that House seat. If they had actually put any effort into that district, seems it would have been rounding up a Democrat to run.

Plus they sat by and let 20-year incumbent Keith Heard (D) get beat, have a newbie now facing a Republican opponent in November. With no (I) by either name, the outcome of that head-to-head election will now be what speaks volumes, instead of today’s phony victory lap by the Democratic Party’s state chair claiming to have gotten a Republican elected. Pitiful.

• SallyForth says:

Meant to point out that Heard is also in Athens, and the Democratic chair conveniently overlooked that loss in the same town.

• SallyForth says:

That being said, maybe it was a calculated risk to just let it go with no (I) for the general election. Whichever way it went, the Republicans positioned themselves to give opposition in November. I guess we’ll see how that works out Nov. 6th.

• cheapseats says:

Late chiming in but it should be pointed out that this particular House seat had been redistricted so blatantly and brutally that no Democrat had any chance at all in this race. The Dem Team was smart not to waste any resources on this race that they could not possibly win in November.

As I’ve been saying for a long time – the Republicans better get used to the new reality of having most of the Dems voting in their Primaries because they’ve been left with no other options.

The Republicans did the same thing the Dems used to do – arrogantly gerrymandering districts to effectively freeze out the other party and, look where that got them. Super-majorities; total control….Be careful what you pray for….

1. SallyForth says:

I have to say it is good to see Mr. “I know more than medical scientists” McKillip get the boot, but what I’d like to know is how does the Democratic Party come up with a number of “over 1,000” Dem voters they claim picked up Republican ballots yesterday? Sounds like fuzzy math bullshishta to me.

• Calypso says:

I don’t know about that, SallyForth. There were some figures floated around that showed past election quantities of D v. R primary ballots and these numbers sound like they could be real.

• SallyForth says:

Well, I’d just like to know how the Dems can know it was Democratic voters, and not just highly motivated Republicans who wanted to boot a party switcher out of their legislative seat.

• I think if you look at the difference in percentage of what Quick got in Athens compared to the other counties in the district – those were Democratic crossover votes. I have seen the polling for that primary and Democrats (and Independents) were overwhelmingly against McKillip, Republicans were for him.

2. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Short memory on here today. The Republicrats did the same thing to Cynthia McKinny a few years back…and declared it a party victory as well.

• Scarlett says:

The difference here is that the DPG had nothing to do with this. To quote Bill Clinton, it’s like a rooster taking credit for the dawn.