2012 Georgia General Primary

Polls are now open. If you’ve voted in absentia (by mail or in person during early voting/advance voting), good job.  If you’re waiting until today, you have until 7p to cast your ballot in the Georgia General Primary election.  Do your civic duty.  Get out there and vote.  You can find out where you vote, as well as a sample ballot, over at the Secretary of State’s My Voter Page.

1. Joseph says:

For those of us in the nether-regions of the state without decent local political coverage, can someone recommend a site with good up-to-the-minute coverage for the goings-on around the state?

Thanks y’all!
    Joseph

• Calypso says:

Joseph, I thought you folks out in the sticks just rang-up Sarah. As the telephone operator she knows all the latest goings-on. 😉

2. View from Brookhaven says:

Do I pull an R ballot and vote in those fun PSC races? Or do I pull a D ballot and vote for someone who might be slightly less terrible than Burrell Ellis?

Decisions, decisions.

I may just pull out my multiple IDs and go commit VOTER FRAUD!!1!!!!1!!!

3. bowersville says:

Sarah has been too busy this year. She was perfect for that busy body, know it all, gossipy, annoying, irritating chalk board scratching voice for those McKillip radio ads.

4. Baker says:

Jumping off of Nathan’s first sentence there: Anyone else think this push towards early voting is not necessarily a good thing?

Seems like it’s yet another thing that can favor an incumbent. New guys have even less chance to get their message out.

Also, as news cycles come and go, what happens if your guy advocates cannibalism the day before the election? Or let’s say you voted for John Edwards that time, and then, oops, he’s a total scumbag. I know those could just as easily happen after but that’s why you should wait until the last minute in my opin.

• mpierce says:

“Anyone else think this push towards early voting is not necessarily a good thing?”

I have more of a problem with the push to vote in general. The push should be to educate yourself about the candidates/issues instead. There is nothing wrong in not voting in a race where you can’t make an informed choice.

As far as early voting, I think it is more likely that you suddenly have to put out “fires” at work, have a family emergency, or get stuck in traffic behind a wreck on voting day than have a candidate advocated cannibalism. So I don’t have a problem with early voting. But I do have a problem with the absentee ballot; there should be an ID requirement.

• you says:

I never vote early. I want to give every candidate the opportunity to screw up and that always happens in the last week. 🙂

5. Jackster says:

Out of curiosity, the R’s wouldn’t push a closed primary question unless there was an upcoming race that they felt could benefit from closed primaries. Which primary coming up has the R’s worried about cross over voters? Senate? President (in 2016)? Gov?

Seriously, if anyone has an insight into the strategy here, it would be good to know what actually motivated this question.

• We, the GAGOP Executive Committee, were not told why the question was submitted or who submitted it. From the conversations that I have had, though, it appears it has more to do with the Republican Convention process than anything else. As it stands now, any person can be involved in the Republican Convention process, but by requiring people to register by Party, it could allow for only registered Republicans to participate. Once again, we were not told the who or why, though.

6. Jackster says:

I didn’t realize that how I vote as a primary has anything to do with the convention process, since that seems to be way deeper than I am able to dive at the moment.

7. greencracker says:

I learned today you can take a nonpartisan primary ballot.

…. If you write in “NP” on that little card you fill out before you vote. Gee, the way that card is printed, you’d think you only have choices of D and R.

8. shayitp says:

There’s a mess in Reynoldstown. With redistricting, a lot of people who were in Georgia House District 58 are now in 59. However, we were sent voter registration cards that said 58 and given BALLOTS for 58. As I understand, those ballots will be invalid and not count at all for any other question on it (T-SPLOST!).

Heads up for those in the area. This is a huge problem at Lang-Carson. Haven’t seen media coverage yet.

(registered just to share this info)