Morning Reads for Friday, July 27, 2012

PSA: Georgia early voting ends Friday, 7/27. Good grief, make up your mind already.

Here:
-What Chick-fil-a CEO Dan Cathy really said
-The Gulch project is about to be fast-tracked with Federal money. What could go wrong?
– Love her or hate her, Paula Deen is worth a dump truck full of money.
– Georgia is the worst place drought-wise in the U.S.
Clayton County is its own realty show.

There:
– Regardless of what the media said Dan Cathy said, The President gets to operate under a different set of rules.
– Boston chickens out. Where’s the freedom on the Freedom Trail? Oops.
– Chicago’s hard-boiled. But isn’t this group, which is welcomed with open arms, the most anti-gay-everything bunch of folks on planet Earth? Confused, I am.
– Did you know your dog could vote in Virginia?
– There will be three Presidential Debates. You can start on your drinking game rules now.

Random Everywhere:
– Who needs those icky, sticky fly strips when you have one of these?
– USDA urges Meatless Mondays.
– Higher Education Bubble… Wait…What?
US Women beat France in Olympic soccer opener.
Santa on Vacation asked to leave Disney World. No word on whether he was eating a tasty chicken sandwich.

1. xdog says:

Dan Cathy raises an interesting point. If corporations are in fact people, as SCOTUS assures us, then doesn’t Jesus love corporations just as he loves the least of us? In truth, since he’s Jesus and doesn’t base his morality on legal decisions, hasn’t he loved corporations all the time, if they are in fact like you and me?

Drought is bad over here in Oconee too although we aren’t the agricultural powerhouse that is SW Georgia. Let’s hope all the talk about pumping water across watersheds is gone as that would really goof things up. Here’s a good online drought monitor: http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/DM_southeast.htm

• wicker says:

@xdog:

First off, read this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_personhood
      Yes, it was the SCOTUS who decided that corporations are people, but the decision was way back in 1819. If it weren’t for the ability to incorporate a business that would shield its owners and employees from financial and legal liability in most cases, our economy – and society as a result – would still be the way that it was in the 1800s. All the current SCOTUS did was state that the legal standing of corporations established by that precedent nearly 200 years ago applied to political speech. Basically, that if a corporation can “represent” its owners and employees in legal and financial matters, it can do so on political matters also, especially since political decisions affect the legal and financial matters that its owners and employees have to operate in. While you are perfectly free to disagree with it, Citizens United isn’t anywhere near as out of left field (or right field) as the detractors of that decision claim it to be, and the folks who bash and mock the SCOTUS over it are doing it for their own ideological and political reasons. I learned that “companies are people” in my public middle school long before Citizens United, and so did all the people that are feigning outrage now.

Second, you well know that the SCOTUS decision makes corporations people in a legal sense, not a theological one. And even if the SCOTUS decision did apply in the theological realm somehow, i.e. if there was no separation of church and state, then individual religious people as well as religious bodies that are not associated with the state are perfectly within their rights to disagree. With that being the case, what was the purpose of “If corporations are in fact people, as SCOTUS assures us, then doesn’t Jesus love corporations just as he loves the least of us? In truth, since he’s Jesus and doesn’t base his morality on legal decisions, hasn’t he loved corporations all the time, if they are in fact like you and me?” other than mocking religious people and their faith? In what way is that tolerance, diversity, and respect for others and their ideas?

2. xdog says:

Hey wicker, I’m not a lawyer so I’ll leave the parsing of the SCOTUS thought to you.

When you say “individual religious people . . . are perfectly within their rights to disagree” you’ll get no argument from me. Why then does my disagreement with Cathy’s statement upset you so? And why should I be expected to be tolerant and respectful of ideas I disagree with? Close your shop on Sunday, fine. Have an invocation at the bowl game you run, OK with me. Expect agreement on pronouncements regarding gay marriage, or views on evolution, or scripture-based abortion ban, no way.

Finally, I don’t like the implication of the linked article that only today were the words of Cathy revealed. I read his comments in full the day they were reported. So did most people I know. There’s still a link to them on the AJC page.

• I hope you’re not saying corporate leaders who express views you don’t like should have their companies run out of town? That’s what the Mayors of Boston and Chicago are saying.

If we shut down all the big corporations whose leaders express views I don’t like there wouldn’t many left. Is that what America has come to?

• wicker says:

@xdog:

Your disagreement with Cathy’s statement does not upset me. But your doing so by using a mocking, belittling style designed at cutting down the belief system itself and the people who adhere to it instead of honest, reasoned debate over the issue at hand is what I objected to. You knew perfectly well what Cathy was speaking of when he said that Jesus didn’t die for corporations, he died for people. You just pretended otherwise for the purpose of personally attacking Cathy and what he believes. In doing so, you reveal yourself to be a worse person than Cathy. Cathy states that while he personally disagrees with their lifestyle choice, he and his business nonetheless treats them with the very dignity and respect that you refuse to show to him.

“And why should I be expected to be tolerant and respectful of ideas I disagree with?”

Because you demand it of others. If people aren’t tolerant and respectful of ideas that you agree with, you call them bigots, among other things. There should either be tolerance for everyone or tolerance for no one. Otherwise you are a hypocrite, because you want to deny others the same notions of civil discourse and respectable, rational behavior that you want for yourself. If I had responded to your post by mocking same sex couples after the very same manner that you mocked Cathy’s beliefs, you would have been the first to call me a bigot, even though I would have been no more intolerant and disrespectful of same sex couples as you were of Cathy’s beliefs. That is why you are a hypocrite, and why the left in general is hypocritical the whole tolerance issue.

• Bill Dawers says:

I’ll just jump in here to say that the link is hardly what Cathy “really said.” You have to go all the way into the comments to find the actual quote from the radio program that kicked off the latest controversy:

“I think we are inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say, ‘We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,’” Cathy said. “I pray God’s mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about.”

In the subsequent interview with the Baptist Press, he was asked about the “company’s position”, so he wasn’t just speaking as an individual; he was speaking for the corporation.

• xdog says:

With respect, you’ve gone off the deep end, wicker.

If I attended a Dan Cathy meeting and booed and heckled him so he couldn’t speak, that would be bigotted and intolerant. Making a little fun of his stone-age ideas in a online political forum is not. I think most people can see the difference.

You want to protect Cathy and I suppose other Christians making arguments you agree with from any censure whatsoever, but certainly there’s a line that we’d all agree to cross. Would you be so respectful about Daniel Wildmon, good Methodist minister? How about those right-wing Christians in league with Israeli Jews to extend the occupation and bring on end times? How about professional Christians like Billy Graham or John Hagee?

Many people, left and right, can make and express judgements about them and others who try to use a belief system to inoculate their words without worrying about being called a hypocrite. Many people manage to make solid life decisions without the benefit of moral guidance from the likes of Cathy, or for that matter, you. It certainly doesn’t hurt my feelings that you believe failure to give Cathy’s views a sincerely respectful hearing at all times and in all places makes me a bigot, but it shows me how far some of the right will go to assume a victim’s posture.

• xdog says:

wicker — On reflection I can see how my first post yesterday could be viewed as ‘mocking’ and ‘belittling’. I apologize to you and others who were offended by what I wrote. It was not my intent to offend.

3. Rambler1414 says:

If the Fedreal Government approves an EIS for the Gulch in 18 months,
    that will be about 4-6 times quicker than standard pace.

It’s good news, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

4. bgsmallz says:

I know this is really local news, but after filing an open records request in June, the pro Brookhaven groups finally received the emails from DeKalb County showing that they have been coordinating a political campaign (on their own and with the no city group) using tax payer dollars.

That’s an email from Davis Fox, a county employee that works for Commissioner Gannon, outlining the tax payer funded campaign to arm the ‘anti-city’ group.

Anyway, if you want to put DeKalb Co. government in a nutshell, here it is…
    We have a problem in the north end of the county.
    We’ve know about it for years.
    Now that there is political gain for the CEO, let’s fix it and then brag about it.

“Murphey Candler shoreline erosion is horrible. We’re in violation of State regs. Problem
    has existed for years. Engineering has requested a permit form DNR. Start the work
    now. The CEO would get major points if he toured the shoreline and park with the
    neighborhood.”

• mountainpass says:

07/25/2012 5:55 AM Armed Robbery on Williams St. at Eighth St. near Tech Square

The time is not included in the Clery alert.

5. Max Power says:

If Republicans are going to hang their entire 2012 Presidential campaign on out of context snippets, they’re in sadder shape than I thought.

In other news after 42 years of living in and around Atlanta, after having been born at Georgia Baptist, and spent many a Saturday at the old I-85 Twin North Drive in flea market, I’m done. After just two weeks of looking for a job in Greenville, I found one. I’m going to miss this city and this state, but I think there’s little doubt that our best days are behind us at least for the foreseeable future. The flawed but still necessary TSPLOST will fail. We’ll continue to have the government we deserve that doles out favors to big contributors while sticking it to the taxpayer. Ethics will continue to be a running joke. Greenville probably won’t be my last stop but it’s the first small step.

What makes me sad because it didn’t have to be this way. Most of Georgia’s problems are of her own making. We have no one to blame but ourselves. Sadly too many people seem content with the status quo. I’m not and I’m just too tired to keep fighting. So goodbye PP, maybe we’ll meet again one day.

• SallyForth says:

Best wishes, Max. I was born a few streets over, at Crawford Long, and know how sad I’d be to leave Georgia. But like GW Bush said, you have to “put food on your family” and gotta have a job. Don’t be a stranger – you can still howdy with us on PP in net land from time to time. 🙂

6. chamblee54 says:

1- The Get Religion article does not give any quotes from the
    radio interview that upset Miss Piggy so. Mr. Cathy said ” “I think we are inviting G-d’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say, ‘We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,’ I pray G-d’s mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about.”

2- Hopefully, this is the last Chamblee54 post about the City of Brookhaven before the election.

chamblee54

• Calypso says:

If you say out loud, or type in full, the nick-name of the Flying Spaghetti Monster you are destined to burn forever in the fires of he-double-hockey-sticks.

Either that or chamblee54’s finger slipped off the ‘o’ and he typo’ed the ‘-‘ instead.

• SallyForth says:

Yeah, but he did it twice – which indicates intentional… I’m thinking Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Where the heck are we on our PP hostage situation, so if our fingers slip and we need to straighten stuff out?

• Calypso says:

chamblee54 was quoting Cathy, so I imagine it was Cathy’s use of the hyphenated mythical figure and not c54’s.

I thought we don’t negotiate with hostage takers.

7. Baker says:

I guess this is my nearest Open Thread: I’d just like to throw in a plug for the story from Fox 5 GM Bill Schneider on the Falcons stadium.

Add Mr. Schneider to the still short list of Atlanta media willing to stand up to Arthur Blank.

I realize I’m about 30 years late to the party on this insight, but man, what a stark example of the advantage of a two newspaper town.

• Baker says:

…and by that I mean the AJC may have trouble saying boo about the stadium because half the time you go to their website during football season the background is a Falcon’s advertisement.