New Documentary Likely To Cause A Stir

This past Monday a screening of a new documentary was held at AMC Barrett Commons in Kennesaw. Produced by local man Luke Livingston of Ground Floor Video, “Runaway Slave” features Rev. C.L. Bryant and other African-American conservatives. It opens this weekend in Philadelphia and at the AMC Barrett Commons in Kennesaw.

In RUNAWAY SLAVE, an intriguing new documentary that opens in theaters this summer, Rev. C.L. Bryant journeys across America to find answers. A one-time NAACP local chapter president, Rev. Bryant discovers that by buying into the entitlement mindset of “progressives,” the black community has traded one form of tyranny for another.

Using leading black conservatives as “conductors,” Rev. Bryant believes it is time for a new Underground Railroad to help liberate all Americans from the Government plantation that has left the black community dealing with a new form of slavery: entitlements.

“Why are we still thinking we are not free at last? What ideas are keeping us down?” Rev. Bryant asks. “For too long, we have been depending on other people for our success. We have to pursue our happiness; our happiness is not provided to us. If we are relying on someone else for our wellbeing, that in itself is a form of slavery.”

Here’s the trailer.

Video of reaction to the screening is here.

1. seenbetrdayz says:

Wow, I’d heard about this a few months ago and figured he must have not had the resources to finish it. Didn’t hear about it again for some time until now, and I’d be happy to see it.

2. Stefan says:

All countries with social safety nets should have movies like this instructing poor people who receive government benefits to break those chains. Hopefully next year we will be watching “Vas-y, Frenchy!”

3. seenbetrdayz says:

This is the longer trailer someone shared with me a while back; goes in to a bit more detail. It’s a bit more ‘in your face.’

Controversial? I’m sure it will be. Should it be? People will live and die in a welfare system that everyone knows doesn’t make sense if they think about it, but if someone says it doesn’t make sense, well, then we have an outrage.

4. Andre says:

As the resident black guy around these parts, I’ll just go ahead and say it.

LBJ’s Great Society programs decimated black society in America.

Before the Great Society, the black family unit was strong and cohesive. Now, black families are falling apart.

Government programs, like Section 8 housing assistance program, punishes black people for trying to work and improve themselves.

If a person on Section 8 gets a job and starts making money, the government says that person can now afford to pay a larger share of the rent; essentially putting the person on Section 8 right back where they started.

The ultimate result is that black folks receiving government assistance realize they get more by doing less. Then the Democrats run into the black community, during election season, and spew forth rhetoric like, “If the Republicans get in, they’re going to cut your check.”

It works, and it works every time because the Democratic Party, starting with Lyndon Baines Johnson, created a plantation where blacks are reliant on the Democrats for their own well-being.

• SallyForth says:

Andre, you make some good points re how, as my grandmother says, “The road to hell is paved with good intentions.”

But to fun topics: You are our main source of info (aka, juicy details) on shenanigans at the Democratic Party here in Georgia, and we’ve had a dry spell with no hair pulling reports lately. Do you have any idea of what those clowns are up to now? Things are just way-y-y too quiet.

5. John Konop says:

The biggest hit on the black community as well as poor white communities is the “War on Drugs”. We have two justice systems on this issue, poor people do time with a criminal record and wealthy people get rehabilitation and forgiveness ie Rush Limbaugh, Hollywood, rock stars, athletes……..

I saw an interview with an economist from Ohio State beyond the estimated 13 billion we through away on treating this health issue as a criminal issue, it also puts a scarlet letter on the person for life via job opportunities. According to her study this crazy policy is the number one factor of why poverty increased.

It cost 50 thousand dollars a year to house a prisonor, not including the police and court cost to arrest the person. Rehabilitation cost about 29 thousand a year and does not have nearly the length of time nor the repeate offender problem. What chance does a poor convict with a record of getting a good job after serving their time?

6. xdog says:

“Run from tyranny to liberty”

“Every Patriot must go and support Runaway Slave.”

“It’s time conservatives take on Liberal Hollywood.”

Alan West, Herman Cain, Glenn Beck and Alveda King loved it. The late Andrew Breitbart is in it. I’m sure it’s at least nearly as good as Atlas Shrugged. Just at a guess, based on some past exposure, I’d say this effort is more propaganda than art.

The last quote above is from Beck. Sounds like he doesn’t believe in the power of the marketplace.

7. View from Brookhaven says:

Is this supposed to be a movie or some kind of movement?

Because, as mentioned, if you’re launching this in lily-white Kennesaw, then it’s fairly clear who the intended audience is.

8. Self_Made says:

If Andre is the resident black guy, I must be trespassing.

I appreciate your comments John Konop. Bad medicine my be making the situation worse, but it’s not what sent folks to the doctor in the first place. These so called “black conservatives” have to leave that out of their narrative to make their argument seem legitimate. I detest and am insulted by this “plantation” imagery…it stigmatizes an entire group of hardworking people in the eyes of the mainstream. As evidenced by the “AMC Stonecrest” comment.

No…it’s got the right audience. Tea Partiers love these guys. Black folks who get up and go to work everyday know it’s not “entitlement programs” that make our live harder.

9. analogkid says:

No…it’s got the right audience. Tea Partiers love these guys.

That was actually my point…. I was suggesting a profit motive. Sorry that wasn’t clear.

10. Unfortunately for Republicans, they have a bit of a Chic-Fil-A problem when it comes to attractive black conservatives. Actions speak louder than words.

11. William R says:

Just saw Runaway Slave tonight. Good film but will surely be considered propaganda. Without question, the film makes some valid points regarding racism in this country. The question asked by the film is is racism still prevalent today and does it effectively stop African Americans from achievement in American society. The film tries to make the argument that the programs of the Great Society (and of course the programs of the modern Democratic Party) have kept African Americans purposely at an economic disadvantage not unlike slaves on a “government” plantation. I find this thesis compelling and surely a subject for debate among African Americans. Unfortunately, there were only two African Americans in the packed AMC Kennesaw theater when I saw it. So, good luck with that debate. Interestingly enough, the white conservatives in the theater applauded loudly once the film was over. You can interpret that as you wish. In a nutshell, I believe everyone should vote and vote according to where they stand on the issues. The film doesn’t try to make this case. Instead the film tries to make the case that more African Americans should vote Republican instead of Democrat, and they should do this because Republicans stand for freedom and they embrace capitalism not socialism. Democrats hate captialism and embrace socialism because they hate freedom. Really? Obviously, I’m not African American but it appears to me that it would be hard to ignore the fact that the unemployment rate for African Americans is a lot higher than it is for white Americans. Furthermore, I might find it hard to understand the daily diatribe from conservatives both white and black that the reason for my unemployment or underemployment is I didn’t get the “right” education or I made the “wrong” choices. Why should anyone vote conservative, white or black, when you’re constantly told that my unemployment is my fault especially when I’ve worked hard to earn a degree. Talk about class warfare. It seems to me if conservatives want to lure more conservative voters, white or black, they would work harder to create jobs on their own instead of whining about the government not doing away with regulations or not cutting enough taxes. Seriously how often do we all hear from the wealthy, “give me a tax break, and I’ll create a thousand jobs.” Okay. But isn’t this a form of welfare? “Welfare? No. I prefer to call it government ‘investment'”. Okay. Seriously what ails this country is not the issue of racism though we still have racists among us. The more prevalent problem is simple economics. Without question capitalism is the best economic system. We just need more capitalists to act like capitalists instead of waiting for the government to guarantee a market. We need more capitalists to understand that an employed consumer is better for business than an unemployed one. Finally, we need more capitalists to understand that it is pure hypocrisy to decry the evils of socialism on the one hand and do business with the communist Chinese on the other hand. I suspect that many African Americans understand this and some whites as well which is why they vote Democrat. Of course, I suspect some African Americans vote Democrat for other reasons.

12. saltycracker says:

“We just need more capitalists to act like capitalists instead of waiting for the government to guarantee a market.”

The government is our economic system as they control the gates with selective enforcement/distribution of taxes, regulations and money.

Economic success today is influencing, advantaging and running thru the complex gates.

Republicans and Democrats today are not interested in having a fairly regulated, clean, free flowing capitalist river but how to get the water going their way – winners and loosers.