Poll In The Field…For 2014?

A friend passed along that there’s a poll being conducted over the past few days, asking if the participant has a favorable or unfavorable opinion of the following:

Nathan Deal

Casey Cagle

David Ralston

Sam Olens

Brian Kemp

Karen Handel

Feel free to speculate and/or draw you on conclusions below as to who might be conducting such a poll, and for what purpose.

1. TheEiger says:

Obviously someone wanting to run for Governor. More than likely it is just Deal testing his favorable – unfavorable numbers right now. I wouldn’t put much thought into it.

In related news, this quote was in the Around Town section of the Marietta Daily Journal this weekend. I agree with the politico that said good luck with that.

THE JULY 31 primary isn’t here yet, but state Sen. Judson Hill (R-east Cobb), who’s running unopposed, is already looking ahead. He told supporters at two recent Cobb GOP events that he plans to mount a primary challenge against U.S. Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R-Moultrie) in 2014. And should he be unsuccessful, he then plans to run in 2016 against U.S. Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-east Cobb), he said.

“Good luck with that,” cracked a local politico after hearing of Hill’s plans.

2. Baker says:

Since so much anti-incumbency seems to be mere bluster (I’m thinking Ga-9 specifically but everything broadly), I predict no problems for Brother Nathan regardless of these poll results.

3. CobbGOPer says:

My question is why are they still including Karen Handel in these polls? I love Karen, voted for her twice, but unless Saxby or Isakson retire soon (and I mean within the next couple years) I just don’t see her getting back into politics in Georgia. We seem kind of harsh in that sense here. But it’s been a LONG time since we’ve seen a Talmadge-style comeback in Georgia, and I just don’t know that Karen would be the one to do it…

I could be wrong.

• TheEiger says:

One of the frequent pollsters will be able to explain this a little better, but it really doesn’t have to do with the likelihood of Karen running again. It has everything to do with name ID. Whoever commissioned the poll wants to see what their name ID is compared to other well known folks or wants to compare their favorable – unfavorable numbers numbers with those same people. My bet is this was probably done by the governor just seeing how he has done over the past two years.

• CobbGOPer says:

Could be that, though I’ve been informed through other channels that it was about something else unrelated to the Governor, i.e. this poll wasn’t Deal’s people, it was someone else.

• NorthGAGOP says:

I don’t think anybody knows what Handel is going to do. You may not heve been around long enough to remember this.

Zell Miller lost a primary for US Senate 10 years before he became Governor. Roy Barnes lost a primary for Governor 8 years before he became Governor. Johnny Isakson lost both a general for Governor (14 years) and a primary for US Senate 8 years before he became US Senator. David Ralston lost a general for Attorney General 12 years before he became Speaker of the House.

4. I got one of the calls and the first question was about Chuck Eaton… another of the favorable/unfavorables was Phil Kent. It wasn’t just current or former politicians.

5. Harry says:

Nathan Deal will not seek a second term. In 2010 when Deal announced his candidacy he promised members of the GOP legislative caucus that he would only seek and serve one term. I take him at his word.