Chick-Fil-A Statement: Leaving Policy Debate To Gvt & Political Arena

From Chick-fil-A:

The Chick-fil-A culture and service tradition in our restaurants is to treat every person with honor, dignity and respect – regardless of their belief, race, creed, sexual orientation or gender. We will continue this tradition in the over 1,600 Restaurants run by independent Owner/Operators.  Going forward, our intent is to leave the policy debate over same-sex marriage to the government and political arena.

Chick-fil-A is a family-owned and family-led company serving the communities in which it operates. From the day Truett Cathy started the company, he began applying biblically-based principles to managing his business. For example, we believe that closing on Sundays, operating debt-free and devoting a percentage of our profits back to our communities are what make us a stronger company and Chick-fil-A family.

Our mission is simple: to serve great food, provide genuine hospitality and have a positive influence on all who come in contact with Chick-fil-A.

1. NoTeabagging says:

They out any mention of dropping donations to organizations such as Focus on the Family and the Marriage & Family Foundation, which fight against gay marriage

2. John Konop says:

One of my best freinds has a gay daughter. I told him I would go to her wedding and support their relationship like his straight kids end of story.

3. dorian says:

If you’re the type of person who ponders the political implications of eating a delicious chicken sandwich, I’m pretty sure I will enjoy eating mine all the more without you at the table next to me. Also, I think you’re a hypocrite when some 10 year old Taiwanese boy working in a sweatshop 15 hours a day for .50 cents a month likely made your patent leather shoes . People off themselves at Foxconn plants all the time because the conditions there are so miserable and they hate their lives so much and no one boycotts Apple, but my god CHIK-FIL-A DONATES TO FOCUS ON THE FAMILY OH NO!!! I dunno, seems a little dichotomous. So, you wear your little leather shoes and talk on your little iphones and I’ll EAT MY DAMN DELICIOUS SPICY CHICKEN SANDICH’ in peace without having to listen to the blather of a bunch of hypocrites.

• John Konop says:

In fairness the combination of poorly designed global trade deals, which has created falling wages since 1973 for the middle class, leaves people very little choice. I do agree, that it is rather bizzare the silence over slave type labor making our goods verse this issue.

• Baker says:

“which has created falling wages since 1973”

Thanks Nixon. Partnering with a corrupt, murderous, communist dictatorship so that we can have cheaper toys is not what we should aim for.

4. dorian says:

Then, of course, we have Iran and other peace loving Islamic countries who summarily execute people for being gay. They don’t just refuse to extend benefits to same sex couples. They refuse to allow homosexuals to exist. Maybe it’s just me, but that seems a lot worse. Who wants to volunteer to boycot foreign oil?

5. NoTeabagging says:

It is nice when a company has anti-discrimination policies and expects their franchisees to bide by them. In America we are also free to support causes near and dear to our political, religious, moral or ethical beliefs. This applies to corporations and individuals,. Individual consumers can support or boycott businesses that do/do not similar beliefs held by the consumer.
    Al this is fair with full disclosure. Chic-fil-a donations are known to promote traditional marriage and the organizations they support oppose and lobby against gay marriage. However, when an entity claims to the are not promoting certain causes, such as anti-gay intolerance and bigotry, then there is a major PR problem when their donations go to groups that are perceived to promote total intolerance and hatred. The corporation should give full disclosure on the issues they support. Be honest. The consumers will respect that.

• Bob Loblaw says:

I know a person who was interviewing to be an owner/operator who says they were asked if he engaged in premarital sex during an interview after telling the interviewer that they were unmarried.

• Calypso says:

Why would anyone engage in premarital sex during an interview? Doesn’t sound like they really wanted the job.

6. Bill Dawers says:

I love Chick-fil-A’s food and in the past have occasionally stopped at one on Savannah’s Southside even though I knew I didn’t agree with the politics of the corporate owners. Fast service, nice people, good food — those things for me always easily trumped any political issues.

But last week Dan Cathy stepped right into the gay marriage debate in his interview with the Baptist Press. The restaurant’s foundation’s donations to groups that oppose gay marriage have been well established over the years.

To now say that the company is leaving the issue of marriage equality to the political arena seems almost ridiculous. Cathy was specifically asked about “the company’s position” when he made those remarks last week.

And to address a few obvious rebuttals in advance:
    Pretty much all Americans make some tough choices in terms of their consumption habits — animal welfare? child labor in the 2nd and 3rd world? oil profits for oppressive regimes? But those are complex multinational issues — those issues are so deeply embedded into our economy that there’s no easy extrication.

This one’s easy. If I get a fast food craving, I’ll bypass Chick-fil-A and just go to one of the stores nearby. I’ll do that until the company changes its position.

7. saltycracker says:

Don’t care what my restaurant/bar thinks or George Clooney thinks if they deliver what I came to see them for and don’t invade my space.