Morning Reads for Thursday, July 19 – More Reads

July 19, 2012 7:35 am

by Bridget Cantrell · 36 comments

They’re going to go [here] once I get into the office and find them.  I had one thing I was responsible for this week.  One.  Yet here we are on a Thursday morning with nothing to read.  Is everyone ok??

Be a doll and post some articles in the comment section to discuss so that Charlie won’t have a conniption.

As I hop in the car to race to work, feel better knowing that they’re making it harder for women to legally be on the roads.  I think it’s part of the TSPLOST Band 1 List.

——————————

• Cagle wants Clark Howard for Transportation Panel.  Please note Clark Howard works for Cox Enterprises, who is a heavy supporter of TSPLOST.  I think this will hurt Clark Howard more than it will help TSPLOST.  Sorry you got caught up in Georgia politics, man.
  • We’re leaking the little water we have.
  • Westmoreland gets chewed out.

That’s all I got.  Mama’s gotta work.  I’ll try to redeem myself next Thursday.

Bridg

Andre July 19, 2012 at 8:12 am

I think we should lead off with Democrat Congressman Sanford Bishop peeing in a cup, and not for a drug test either:

Congressman Urinates in Cup on Plane (ABC News) [ http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=91549&page=1#.UAf5DLRDw86 ]

Buzz Brockway July 19, 2012 at 8:26 am

This story is from June 14, 2002. It’s funny but happened a long time ago.

Blake July 19, 2012 at 10:14 am

Yeah, what’s up with Drudge starting to recycle decade-old stories? This isn’t the first time.

David Staples July 19, 2012 at 8:23 am

Think money doesn’t influence the PSC? I’m sure this is just a coincidence, right?

Simeon Barsabae July 19, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Considering that almost a third of what you reported as contributions comes from the US EPA, it’s kind of the pot calling the kettle “black”.

With your logic: Because individuals from Troutman Sanders has contributed (and they are one of the many law firms that represent such named power company) your opponent must be in the pocket for them, you must be in the pocket of EPA.

David Staples July 19, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I have one contribution from one person that works as a scientist at the EPA – who also happens to be the chairman of the Libertarian Party of Georgia. He comments here – Daniel N. Adams. I’m also not in charge of regulating the EPA or clients of the EPA as Stan is. So it’s actually nothing like the pot calling the kettle black.

Simeon Barsabae July 19, 2012 at 3:58 pm

The small joke was that around a third of your contributions came from the same place.

The bigger joke was that a third of your contributions was $200.

David Staples July 19, 2012 at 4:07 pm

And that’s completely fair. It’s tough running a campaign for an office few people know anything about when you’re not in the pocket of utilities, their lobbyists, and their lawyers. I’d probably also have a much easier time running for office as a Republican or a Democrat. And I certainly align with both parties in certain ways. But like Charlie mentioned in the column he posted just a short bit ago… where does an independent like myself find a political home then? I have no problem admitting that I haven’t raised a whole lot of money, but that doesn’t mean I don’t have avenues to get my message out. It also doesn’t mean people won’t donate. Perhaps people are waiting until after the primary to donate to my campaign – when we know for sure whether it’ll be Stan or Pam who is the Republican candidate? I don’t know.

What I do know is that if elected, I won’t accept gifts from utilities or their lobbyists or attorneys – which Stan has done to the tune of almost $14,000 in just his current term. I also will continue to not accept campaign contributions from those groups. I find it a conflict of interest and while they’re certainly entitled to donate to whomever they want as part of their right to free speech, Stan is also entitled to return the contributions if he was so inclined.

Simeon Barsabae July 19, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Yeah, because not being in someone’s pockets is keeping you from raising money or getting your name out there.

Are you going to even be on the ballot? Have you raised the required amount? Isn’t it something like $3500?

David Staples July 19, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I never said it’s keeping me from raising money. While I can’t really go into detail publicly, I’m talking to a few different people about raising money. That’s something the LP has never been all that great at. And there are plenty of ways to get your name out there that don’t require deep pockets. There’s certainly a pretty decent chance I won’t win. But if I don’t try, we’ll never know, will we?

I will be on the ballot. Yes, it’s just shy of $3500.

David Staples July 19, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I guess in a way you could kind of look at my race as kind of being a David vs Goliath. ;-)

David Staples July 21, 2012 at 2:21 pm

There was an article in the paper this morning by Kristi E. Swartz. Apparently Chuck Eaton agrees that it’s difficult to raise money for PSC races outside of utilities, their lobbyists and their attorneys… “He said he has difficulty getting friends who contribute to other political campaigns to give him money because they don’t see the value in what the PSC does.”

David Staples July 19, 2012 at 4:00 pm

By the way, Simeon… the 3 donations larger than $100 that I’ve received this reporting period? All from people that are retired. I suppose when I file my next report you can say I’m in the pocket of retired people? I’m not sure what that gets them from the PSC, but I’m sure you’ll find something, right? ;-)

saltycracker July 19, 2012 at 5:18 pm

You showed that Stan Wise took contributions from GAPWR attorneys.

His opponent is lobbyist Pam Davidson and (according to a Wise flyer) who has IRS & State tax liens as well as multiple court judgements issued against her for failure to pay for services.

Not knowing Wise but really don’t understand ,if the above is true, how she could even be on the ballot or seriously considered by any voter ?

David Staples July 19, 2012 at 5:30 pm

You know, I don’t know… that’s a good question for Pam. I haven’t really taken much time to study her tax situation. I do know that whether Stan or Pam wins the primary, I believe I’m still the best choice for the district 5 seat. :-)

David Staples July 19, 2012 at 9:01 am

“Japan’s Fukushima nuclear crisis was a preventable disaster resulting from “collusion” among the government, regulators and the plant operator, an expert panel said on Thursday, wrapping up an inquiry into the worst nuclear accident in 25 years.”

Gee, why does that sound so familiar?

Baker July 19, 2012 at 9:15 am

I’m sure there’s somewhere readers could go and find some Ga news stories.

Baker July 19, 2012 at 9:16 am

Seriously though, Westmoreland needs to take off the tin hat. I do think Islamic influence around the world is something to be aware of, but someone who has worked with Hillary Clinton for 20 years? That’s a pretty long con.

CobbGOPer July 19, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Particularly since this supposed ‘radical islamist’ he’s worried about is married to… wait for it… a Jew (former Congressman Anthony “Look at my package” Weiner).

Baker July 19, 2012 at 9:34 am

Bridg: If we pass…when we pass…TSPLOST maybe you could leave for work at 8:00 instead of 7:35? ;)

Bridget July 19, 2012 at 10:01 am

Funny, Baker. TSPLOST is the fat chick at the prom – it just ain’t gonna happen unless voters are drunk.

Baker July 19, 2012 at 10:12 am

Rather be dancing with a fat chick than sitting at home.

GTKay July 19, 2012 at 11:35 am

Yeah, the skinny, shallow, easy girls are more popular, but they usually don’t amount to much in the long run.

Harry July 19, 2012 at 11:46 am

You just have to know how to deal with the fatties.

Simeon Barsabae July 19, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Fat chics need love too… they just have to pay.

Baker July 19, 2012 at 10:38 am

Boortz also works for Cox and he certainly isn’t supporting TSPLOST.

Calypso July 19, 2012 at 11:26 am

“rules have been especially confusing for women”

Well, it *does* relate to driving. j/k, J/K

John Konop July 19, 2012 at 12:56 pm

The attacks by Bachmann hurt us worldwide and as well as here. The nation building strategy is not working especially when it is anti-Muslim. We cannot contain the situation with worldwide terrorism with the goal of working with Christians only. We must respect the culture of people not force Christianity down their throat. One of the biggest mistake we made in our strategy during the Vietnam war was we did not have Americans from that part of the war helping to form strategy ie lack of understanding the culture. Since then it has been a cornerstone part of US foreign policy not to let this happen again.

……….WASHINGTON — Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) vigorously defended top State Department official Huma Abedin, who is Muslim-American, against allegations by Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) and other conservatives that she is part of a Muslim Brotherhood conspiracy to infiltrate the U.S. government.

“These allegations about Huma and the report from which they are drawn are nothing less than an unwarranted and unfounded attack on an honorable woman, a dedicated American and a loyal public servant,” McCain said in a speech on the Senate floor on Wednesday morning……

Baker July 19, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Good post John:

I would add (as I attempted above but not forcefully enough)
…our own Lynn Westmoreland was one of the five who along with Bachmann raised this issue. Be proud.

Three Jack July 19, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Bachman long ago proved to be a wackjob. Why give her more publicity?

We should be outraged by a very real position taken by Obama when he declared that small business owners “didn’t build” their business — http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/07/did-obama-say-if-youve-got-a-business-you-didnt-build-that/

Now that’s far more un-American than anything Weiner’s wife ever did.

Harry July 19, 2012 at 5:42 pm

More than anything you have to feel sorry for Weiner’s wife.

xdog July 19, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Context matters, Three Jack, despite the views of the Heritage Foundation or Fox News. You can look at every business builder as a Galtian action figure I guess, but I sure don’t see room for outrage in what Barry said, much less for a charge of un-Americanism, whatever that is.

“If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business. you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.”

John Konop July 19, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Three jack,

In all due respect all the businesses I was part off the success was a team effort.

Baker July 19, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I couldn’t agree more with President Obama on the paragraph xdog excerpted….except for that one sentence…

“If you’ve got a business. you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.”

That’s a bridge, crossing the island, and the next bridge after that too far. Somebody else didn’t make the company I work for happen. Their are plenty of great team players but one person began the thing with the idea. That’s the way it’s been everywhere I’ve worked.

They are all team efforts, but in the beginning, one person thought of it, started the hiring, put together the business plan etc etc…

Just because there is some great context to what he said doesn’t mean that that part of it isn’t unbelievably wrong.

John Konop July 19, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Baker,

This is another bs issue in my opinion taken out on context that both sides use. First Obama was talking about infastructure being part of how businesses grow like the Internet, electric grid………. Secondly I have been part numerous businesses as an executive. And if if you talk with everyone envolverd it was a team effort. That is why when we raise money one of the first questions is about the executive team. Finally we have many issues, and this election now has been nothing more than bs at ths point. fostering this bs only keeps the game going…………

AMB July 19, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Bashing Obama and his no man is an island speech while demanding money for port dredging. Got to love the cognitive dissonance of the GA GOP.

Comments on this entry are closed.