Rubio Visits Lawrenceville

Florida Senator Marco Rubio visited Lawrenceville yesterday promoting his new book “An American Son.” Lawrenceville Patch was there:

At about 12:45pm, Rubio’s bus emblazoned with his image and book cover pulled up to a side door at the bookstore. The line of people erupted in cheers as the Senator walked by and greeted the crowd. Many captured the moment in photos and videos on their smartphones. From there, Rubio sat down at a small table and began shaking hands and signing books, smiling the whole time.

Brandon Cable made the trip to Lawrenceville from Marietta just to have a moment to say hello to the Senator and get a couple of books signed. “I fully believe he’s one of the few good guys up in Washington that is helping us right now,” said Cable.

1. Calypso says:

Will someone please remind me why this junior senator who has served a whopping 18 MONTHS has been annointed star status?

Weren’t the Republicans all up in arms about the lack of time Obama served in the US Senate, which was approximately TWICE as long as Rubio has been there?

• Charlie says:

I won’t claim to be the most diligent follower of Rubio, but from my DC peeps I hear this:

He came into power as the symbol of the TEA Party in the US Senate, after defeating Charlie Crist who was backed by the Senate Republican’s campaign committee. He quickly gained the confidence of his fellow Senators (the establisment) without repelling his TEA Party base.

As such, he’s a young telegenic guy who is a leader of the folks that represent the outsiders/spirit of the party that also understands how to work with the establishment to get things done.

That’s not an easy line to walk.

• Calypso says:

Rubio had so much of a lead in the polls that it forced Crist to abandon the primary and run as an independent. That strategy failed.

Charlie, you are factually correct in your statements about Rubio, but I still fail to see why folks are tripping over their (private parts) for him as it relates to his achievements, successes, and accomplishments. Other than being a cheerleader and tossing out the red-meat, what exactly is his claim to fame? Outside of his Latino heritage, to me he seems like not much more than the male version of Sarah Palin.

• Napoleon says:

Go back and check out his 100 ideas for Florida campaign when he was Speaker of the House. Here’s a guy who traveled his state as Speaker, listening to people for the best ideas to make government work better. He later claimed that he was able to push 57 of these ideas through the House during his brief (FL has term limits) time as Speaker (PoliFact rated the claim as half true…see below).

Here’s some more reading/viewing

• Lawton Sack says:

John McCain’s campaign was dead before Sarah Palin. I had two McCain signs that were given to me by the State Party. Nobody wanted a McCain sign, though. I could not give but one away until Palin came on board. Then, everybody wanted a “Palin” sign and we went through a 1,000. I still have that McCain sign in my garage and I look at it from time to time. I still cannot figure out how he became the nominee.

Anyway, my point is that sometimes you need a rock star to bring people out.

• Calypso says:

“Anyway, my point is that sometimes you need a rock star to bring people out.”

I acknowledge that sentiment and agree for the most part. But my question is, “Why were either of these two folks afforded the title of ‘rock star’?”

That’s the part I don’t get.

• Lawton Sack says:

I don’t know if that can be fully answered. I will try, being truthful from my personal perspective:

1. Looks: Palin was a good looking woman. I would assume women do not find Rubio ugly. I don’t know how many people swooned over Bill Clinton and voted for him because he was handsome. Let’s be real, looks do matter, even in politics.

2. People are looking for the next Reagan. Palin and Rubio are in the line of Gov. Christie in that they freely speak their minds, like Reagan did, even against the “establishment.” Allen West is there also. They produce sound bites that can be recycled. Rebels, so to speak.

3. The minority issue is a factor, also. Palin is a woman. Rubio is Hispanic. People would be telling fibs if they did not recognize this as part of it.

4. There is a newness factor to it also. Just like the new girl/guy at school gets extra attention, it happens in politics. I here it all the time: “We need need blood.”

Again, my perspective.

• John Konop says:

You make valid points, but I am sure the Romney campaign does not want another not ready for prime time candidate like Palin. She was great with the base, but with swing voters it was a disaster. That is why Romney will make a safe pick like a Pawlenty, Christy, Hutchinson………….It is all about the swing vote now. BTW President Reagan picked Bush when he won the nomination not a flame thrower.

…. Two-thirds of Republicans want Palin, the party’s vice presidential nominee in 2008, to be “a major national political figure” in the future. Three-fourths of Democrats hope she won’t be.
                Independents by 55%-34% would prefer she leave the national stage……..

• Lawton Sack says:

I agree that Romney will most likely not pick someone like that. Regardless, many will tout these political rock stars as VP candidates.

I was one of those that wanted Huckabee and Palin to not throw their hats in this time around, as they seem to have more influence (as the numbers you shared indicate) on the outside than actually running.

• Napoleon says:

Unlike Palin, Rubio as a U.S. Senator has been doing the Sunday morning circuit for several years now. I think he will be ready for prime time.

I will concur with Lawton…McCain’s campaign needed a big shot in the arm by time he brought Palin on. Even nearing election days she would draw bigger crowds alone than he would alone.

The truth is, Obama was going to be elected, regardless of who McCain picked.

• Lawton Sack says:

The U.S. Senate is going to be extremely important over the next few years. I think that he would better serve as a U.S. Senator for now.

• Calypso says:

Lawton, I agree with the ‘why’ of all four of your points, though they are merely aesthetic, and not substantive.

I will read over Napoleon’s links and perhaps look to see if, in fact, there is more substance to Rubio than meets my eye. Speaking of meeting my eye, Sarah is definitely aesthetic, but alas, certainly not substantive. Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing the matter with aesthetics. I could look at Sarah’s aesthetics all day long.

• John Konop says:

The truth is the GOP is in trouble with the immigration issue and the changing demographics in America as well younger voters on a macro (under 40) being agnostic to “culture-war” issues . If the GOP had made the issue about economics over culture it would not of been an issue. Now because immigration is about a so-called “culture-war” with Latinos, they have now alienated them as well as swing voters on this issue. The GOP is hoping by embracing Rubio this will somehow magically make the old white man “culture-war” politics go away over dealing with the issue. GOP needs to stick with economics not “culture-war” politics in my opinion.

• John Konop says:

Let’s be honest most people in the GOP are thinking what I am saying, but for tribal reasons they will not say it in public. I respect how you say what you think without concern for tribal bs…………….

• Three Jack says:

John,

The GOP under ‘President Jorge Bush’ as you used to call him attempted significant immigration reform. You along with many other immigration extremists called it ‘amnesty’ and worked to kill the bill. Had that legislation been given a fair debate without all the BS rhetoric, the media would have more difficulty pinning the anti-immigrant label on the GOP. It’s good to see you have mellowed w/regard to this issue.

• John Konop says:

The problem with Bush bill was economics. I talked with Congressmen Gingrey in an open meeting and told him I would support a bill if it met certain conditions.

The following:

1) That all immigrants must have proper insurance coverage.
              2) That at least one parent must be a legal citizen for birth rights of citizenship.
              3) That the visa system for temporary workers be fixed
              4) That the immigration citizenship be based on the best and brightest not first serve
              5) That all immigrants be paid on credit card payroll system to make sure that they are paying taxes as well proper insurance if not covered by employer.

I have went as far as backing the Dream Act publically even on this web site if the above conditions are met. If Bush had the following protections added to his bill I was very clear I would of supported it. If you do not have the above protection than his bill would have been more of the same………….

• Three Jack says:

John, The folks including yourself who opposed the bill gave it no chance for any reasonable debate. That was/is the problem…too many zealots on the right who ignore reality with the ‘build a fence, send em all home now’ attitudes instead of having an intelligent discussion.

• Napoleon says:

John, I disagree on one respect. I think if one or both parents are permanent resident aliens, then their children should be citizens at birth, as long as that child is born here.

• John Konop says:

I would agree with you. I was referring to the temporary visa issue or illegal immigrants. Unless they have permanent status it creates to many issues of what happens when the parents leave our country.

2. AMB says:

He’s Hispanic but not one of those you know Messicans so the GOP will embrace him as diversity.

3. saltycracker says:

Marco Rubio is a conservative Republican, a first generation American of successful, educated Cuban immigrants fleeing communism. He has been in the light for some time now allowing for vetting and a lot of public recognition. And importantly, he is a popular Floridian, a swing state.

4. SallyForth says:

I’m back home from vacation and glad to find all you guys in here slogging it out! John, Calypso, Charlie, salty, Buzz, et.al. – good to be trading thoughts with you.
    Re Rubio, he’s a good looking dude, expresses himself intelligently, etc. – but his tea bagging creds sorta turn me off. ‘just sayin…..

• saltycracker says:

Welcome back – Rubio may be sensitive to the conservatives, libertarians, tea partiers and Romneyites but each of them has had some issue with him – I see him as a good reflection of the old freedom loving Cuban capitalist, anti-communist positions they came to Florida with.

I suspect each of the groups above is hitching to his wagon & he is sensitive to the support.
      For the most part an opinion of self-thinker or waffling panderer is usually a subjective one which can only be substantiated by the test of adversity and time…..leadership….

We have to have some hope that sooner or later we vote in a real leader…..

As Wayne Allyn Root said:
      It is for sure Obama hasn’t delivered for the independents, Roman Catholics, Jews, young people, small business owners, blue collar working class whites, blacks, hispanics, suburban moms or military vets that will give him a much lower percentage this time around. And not one McCain voter has been won over by Obama.

Romney’s pick for V.P. is critical and we don’t need one that evokes: “WTF ?”
      Common sense just might prevail this time, but Romney’s choices are limited.