Fourth of July Open Thread

Summer vacay.  This week I am celebrating my freedom by safely traveling abroad as an American citizen.  I arrived in Panama Sunday and will finish up the week in Costa Rica.

This isn’t intended to be a religious post, but I’d like to describe my own feelings of citizenship by noting Apostle Paul.  Paul was a Roman.  He had many different descriptors over his lifetime, but being a Roman saved his life multiple times.  Regardless of where his adventures took him or how badly others wanted to hurt him, finding out he was a Roman gave them pause.  The label and citizenship meant something to the entire known world.

I am an American.  That label means different things to different people, but no matter what – it means something to just about every person in the world.  Whether or not people agree with the actions of our government, the label of being an American citizen means you walk with certain rights and protection.  Many men have died to uphold our country’s reputation and to define our label.  Like Lee Greenwood, I’m very proud to be an American.

I hope all of you have a wonderful 4th of July with your families.  Let the label be a unifier today:  Hug a liberal.  Hold the door for a Pro-TSPLOSTer.  Refrain from sucker punching the guy who won’t take his hat off during the national anthem.

Since I will miss all the parades, speeches and BBQ, know that I’ll be celebrating with you guys in spirit.

I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the United States of America,
and to the republic, for which it stands,
one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
 Hugs and High Fives,
Bridg

1. The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

“I hope all of you have a wonderful 4th of July with your families.”

…Thank you. We wish you the same.

“Let the label be a unifier today: Hug a liberal. Hold the door for a Pro-TSPLOSTer. Refrain from sucker punching the guy who won’t take his hat off during the national anthem.”

…Okay…Even though those are very good words of advice, let’s not get too carried away.

• rosegarden82 says:

I have had freedom as an American. However I am saddened that not everyone here has this freedom. This is why I would change some of the pledge of allegiance. What I would change is the part about freedom liberty and justice for all. That sounds great but unfortunately it is not true.For example the unborn child has no rights not even the basic freedom to life because it is up to the unborn baby’s mom to decide weather he/ she is free to go on living.Back in the day all children were property of their parents. Parents were able to do what they wanted to their children. Now it seems unborn children are the property of their moms and once again moms can do what they want to these unborn human beings. There are also elder people and some disabled and some very sick people who do not have the basic freedom to life.The medical staff can decide for them if they want them to live or die and it is acceptable.They have been stripped of basic rights to life in some cases.So lets just say freedom liberty and justice for some.That is much more accurate. Americans have changed this country before for the better and I hope we can continue to change it for the better so there can be freedom liberty and justice for all instead of some.

• The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

My guess is that we will pay no subsidy for a trip from Atlanta to Chattanooga as these guys can’t even spell “high speed rail” in eight years, much less get it built in eight years in an economic and financial environment where the local, state and federal levels of government are hard-pressed to come up with money just to patch up potholes.

Let Mullis have his delusional out-on-a-limb, pie-in-the-sky high-speed rail and HOT Lanes fantasies because the way things are going it doesn’t seem like anything like that could get built in 80 years, much less 8 years.

• John Konop says:

Last Dem,

I respect your knowledge on this issue. Do you think if we expanded the port in Savannah, would a high speed rail connection with veins off the airport and savannah, spur economic growth?

• saltycracker says:

would the rail involve container cars ? The first several thousand miles & many days by 20mph ship and the last 200 miles in one hour ! Same price for each ?

We could just ask Maersk & Norfolk Southern to work it out…..

• John Konop says:

I am no expert on b to b rail transportation, but I have seen products on the market. And our two biggest transportation assets are the Savannah port and the airport in metro Atlanta. It would seem logical the more we leverage them together , we would get a bigger bang for our buck. And that would be a major economic plan, which would help all of Georgia. It seems from reading this blog LDG knows the subject very well.

2. saltycracker says:

Tips:
    Give us a progress report on how the canal expansion is going.
    Stock up on arabica coffee in Costa Rica.
    Assure us you are not traveling with the Valdosta investment advisor (& $40M) they are looking for.

• Calypso says:

I understand that the investment advisor perished in a freak scuba accident and Bridget has suddenly decided to visit a cousin of hers in the Marshall Islands. Coincidentally, the Marshall Islands is a non-extraditing country.

3. Noway says:

Good food, good family, good fireworks and tonight, my own Andy Griffith marathon in my living room. We have lost a legend.