Paul Broun Debates GOP Challeger Simpson On Athens Radio

Republican Congressman Paul Broun and his GOP Challenger Stephen Simpson debated each other on Athens Radio WGAU this morning.  Moderated by Tim Bryant, the entire debate can be heard here.

The highlight of the debate appears to be a lengthy exchange over the outlawing of “crush videos”.  Broun ealier voted against a federal law which would outlaw them, citing constitutional grounds.  Blake Aued, now of Athens’ Flagpole, reports as follows:

I think the people who produce (crush videos) ought to be in jail, and the people who watch them ought to be in treatment,” Broun said.

But all 50 states already ban crush videos, so it’s not the federal government’s role, the Athens Republican said.

Simpson, a retired Army lieutenant colonel from Milledgeville, said Broun is out of touch with voters on the issue. The federal government, not states, should prosecute crush video makers because they’re engaging in interstate commerce, he said.

“The whole idea was to prevent it from being sold on the Internet,” he said. “Only the federal government can do that.”

Broun cast his crush video vote as part of a larger effort to drastically shrink the U.S. Department of Justice. Originally, the U.S. only had three federal crimes, he said: treason, piracy and counterfeiting

Broun agreed to two debates with his challenger, including one last Saturday in Macon.

1. Jackster says:

If I were having a debate with anyone, and the central argument my challenger had was over a video of squishing bugs, I would immediately enter into my closing remarks and tack up a W.

2. seenbetrdayz says:

Okay, Simpson. Even the voters are “out of touch with voters” on this one:

WTF is a crush video?

3. SaveMyFuture says:

Broun’s true objective as a congressman: Promoting extremist legislation that makes him appear pious to his gullible constituents, who actually believe that what he says carries any weight in Washington.

4. stillaskeptic says:

Yeah, Stephen! Talk about the crush videos! That’ll get ’em. That’s what the people need to hear!

5. Bloodhound says:

While I understand and agree with Rep. Broun on crush videos being an issue that should and apparently is being handled by the states, I am leaning towards his opponent.

He seems to be well versed in the workings of the House through his work in the Pentagon, appears to have a great work ethic and good character.

It is almost a coin toss with Dr. Broun’s persona losing my vote ate the finish line.

6. georgiadawg6644 says:

I heard this Stephen Simpson character is anti-gun, is this true? Congressman Broun has stood for jobs, limited government, and has been a strong advocate for Second Amendment rights.

Is it true that Simpson doesn’t live in the district, or just moved to the district so he could run? As far as I’m concerned, he’s a fly on Broun’s windshield and needs to quit being a distraction and give up.