Morning Reads for Friday, June 8, 2012

June 8, 2012 7:45 am

by Obi's Sister · 10 comments

Here:
- What is Boom Town Pilot Cities and why you should care.
- Young Augustan Jackie Jeschke headed to Olympic swim trials.
- Do as I say, not as I do…
- About that promise about no tax increases there, Governor
- Rep. John Barrow listed as Underdog by Roll Call. Does that come with a cape and a sidekick?
- Can debt be used to bar candidates from running for public office?

There:
- Read about Rep. Paul Brouns Broun’s motion, H.R. 4348, that requires fiscal year 2013 highway expenditures to be limited to the amount of revenue generated by the gas tax.
- Is Bubba a GOP double-agent?
- Only in Cali-forn-i-a can you binge on foie-gras one last time. Wonder if that comes with a Big Gulp…
- American Airlines reduces number of July flights, but not for the reason you’d think.
- Senator Saxby Chambliss has been busy. He has requested investigation into attacks on conservative bloggers and along with other senators, has called for a special investigation of security leaks ‘at the highest levels’ of the White House
- “Flurry” has a different meaning up in DC.
- Remember when top secret meant something?
- Rep. Nancy Pelosi on Obamacare.

Random Everywhere:
- Can Haz Peachz…Giant peach cobbler at Georgia Peach Fair.
- Emory professor and Pulitzer-Prize winner Natasha Trethewey will be the nation’s next Poet Laureate.
- Texas A&M and Missouri officially welcomed to the SEC.
- Priorities. The Georgia-Florida game will air at 3:30 on Saturday, October 27. No jorts allowed.

Ed June 8, 2012 at 7:57 am

A few of your links don’t work.

I will not tell you which ones as I was going to post about the new Poet Laureate. Pettiness, ftw.

The time will come when I shall become the Poet Laureate. This is the start of my campaign.

To become buff,
Lift weights. And stuff.

Ed June 8, 2012 at 7:59 am

Also, “Jeschke” is a good Central European name… we’re taking over I tell you!

saltycracker June 8, 2012 at 8:47 am

Let’s not slip by DeKalb daily news:

“DeKalb County has spent nearly $100,000 clearing land for a pet project of the chief executive, even though commissioners haven’t signed off on the work.”

Chaos, death after DeKalb funeral: ‘Oh God, they’re shooting’

But close by, the Piedmont Driving Club is not to be outdone on outrageous behavior, probably by rowdy guests at the member/guest outing – the Housewives of Atlanta would be proud:

Watering the greens, ball drops, impressing the lady caddy and mooning over wedding receptions have a different meaning at the club now:

Baker June 8, 2012 at 12:25 pm

For the record: I think a soapbox derby track would be awesome, but I’m pretty sure there are some higher priorities in DeKalb County.

DeKalb Co: corrupt
Gwinnnett Co: corrupt
who else wants to sign up? Maybe some officials involved at Hartsfield?
Cobb Co’s EMC whole board was changed over because the whole thing was going to pot and in court everyday, but I think the commission escaped a lot of that trouble.

What’s Clayton Co doing? They’re missing the fun.

Calypso June 8, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I believe Clayton County is the sponsoring organization for the ‘How-To’ seminars.

ricstewart June 8, 2012 at 10:26 am

Re: Can a candidate be barred because of his debts?
Here’s a similar story in Montgomery County: http://www.southeastgeorgiatoday.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8656&Itemid=117

saltycracker June 8, 2012 at 10:49 am

It should be but in Georgia failure to pay taxes or liens, convictions or “settlements” are called experience in government activities.
He’d be in line for an oversight committee on his subject, too.

Obi's Sister June 8, 2012 at 11:15 am

ricstewart June 8, 2012 at 11:24 am

Case in point: Jack Murphy.

SallyForth June 8, 2012 at 3:33 pm

You had me at the world’s largest peach cobbler. Going to Fort Valley for some of that lip-smacking goodness is uniquely Georgia. The last time I was there for it, the local fire department had this giant fresh cobbler that stretched waaaayyyy across the green. They even had homemade ice cream to plop on top if you wanted. I highly recommend for anybody who can shake loose and go tomorrow for some rural Georgia fun.

Comments on this entry are closed.