Know When to Fold ‘Em

Everyone’s favorite frivolous law suit has been dropped…

Rashad Richey, DPG political director, dropped the defamation, libel and slander lawsuit against Andre, Melanie of Blog for Democracy and Jane B.

I’m guessing it is because he realized he didn’t have a case against the triumvirate for merely posting public record that was truthful but hey, stupider cases have been filed for stupider reasons… So at least his legal team has that going for them…

1. Calypso says:

I believe Richey filed this suit to make a point. I don’t think the point he intended to make was that it was stupid to file this suit. However, that’s the only point which he made abundantly clear.

So, Rashad, if you’re reading this, take heart. Your suit was not entirely pointless!

I hope Andre et al., hadn’t yet expended money for an attorney.

2. analogkid says:

Looks like it was dismissed without prejudice. Doesn’t that mean he can refile the suit?

• Scarlett says:

Dismissed without prejudice against Walker, with prejudice against the others. Given the bill for attorney’s fees, chances are they won’t be coming after Walker again either.

• Mrs. Adam Kornstein says:

@Analogkid

Andre’s was dismissed without prejudice, so in theory yes, Ali Rashad could bring another suit of some kind. However, his lawyers sent a letter telling him to drop that as well.

The other two folks named were never served and represented by different attorney’s. Their portion of the suit was dismissed with prejudice, so in theory they are done.

While I’m sure some folks enjoyed this, it was nothing more than a ridiculous waste of everyone’s time and money. Although Andre’s attorneys did provide some of the best legal smack downs I’ve ever read. After that it was just embarrassing for team Richie.

I hope whoever thought this was a good idea at the time has put down the crack pipe and decided to produce the next Tom Cruise movie instead.

• analogkid says:

Thanks, Mrs. Kornstein.

Are Andre’s attorneys’ pleadings available online? I would enjoy reading a good legal smackdown. Also want to verify that he got his $17k worth. 🙂

• JTSparks says:

Mrs. Kornstein: As Mr. Walker’s lawyer, I want to thank you for your kind words. Analogkid: Mr. Walker’s Answer to the Complaint, my May 14th letter, and my letter of today are on Georgia Politics Unfiltered. We had noticed the video deposition of Richey for today, but he dismissed just before that could take place.

3. bucky says:

Excellent work. I hope you go all-out for those attorney fees. Otherwise, we’ll just see more and more of these sorts of SLAPP tactics against bloggers. Taking depositions from certain Democratic Party officials to determine their potential involvement in encouraging or facilitating this suit wouldnt be a bad idea, either.