Boortz Retiring; Cain Back Behind the Mic

June 4, 2012 8:30 am

by Charlie · 26 comments

Neil Boortz will announce on his program this morning that he will be retiring in January.  He will pass his seat over to longtime friend Herman Cain who thinks “they” think you’re stupid.

WSB appears to have accidentally released the announcment on their website, where a cached version of the announcement says it is set to post at 10:07 am this morning. Of Boortz’s news, it says:

Today national radio talk show host Neal Boortz announced live on his program that he’s retiring from his daily show and passing the torch to his friend and colleague, Herman Cain.   His last day hosting The Neal Boortz Show, which premiered on News/Talk WSB in 1993 and now airs on more than 200 radio stations with six million weekly listeners, will be January 18, 2013.

“It’s time for me and my wife, Donna, to hit the road and travel in ways that we have not been able to through most of our 42 years together,” said Boortz – also known as “The Talkmaster” and “The High Priest of the Church of the Painful Truth.”

And of Cain:

Herman Cain, former News/Talk WSB evening host and former Republican Presidential Candidate, returns to radio full time inauguration day – January 21, 2013 at 9:00 a.m. Until then, Cain continues to join Boortz for their Monday and Friday 10:35am ET segments and to deliver commentary at 8:45 a.m. and 6:45 p.m. daily.

Cain said, “Neal has spent his career as a bold, vocal advocate of what is right in this world and condemning that which is not.  I promise the torch Boortz is handing off to me will blaze as bright, as bold, and as loud as ever.”

Not only will Cain inherit Neal’s microphone, he’ll also inherit the Boortz syndicated radio audience.

Jane June 4, 2012 at 8:39 am

I do not alwaye like Neal, but always enjoy him. I hope he does not retire totally. I hope he comes back every once and a while and acts as a valued fill in. He has a perspective that other local hosts cannot file, not totally anyway. Good luck to you.

you June 4, 2012 at 8:45 am

Charlie – Neal began his career in radio in 1969! You and I both know that makes him older than dirt. :)

Charlie June 4, 2012 at 8:55 am

It makes his career as old as me.

I’ll be nice and not say that makes it just as tired. :)

xdog June 4, 2012 at 9:12 am

Charlie, is that a photo of you with your post? If so, you’re a ringer for the late Ross Thomas. You probably smile more.

Just asking.

Charlie June 4, 2012 at 9:13 am

That photo is the only time I have ever attempted to smile.

Jackster June 4, 2012 at 9:19 am

Well I must say this is a good move for WSB. I haven’t been tuning in to Boortz much recently, because I feel it’s the same opinions and topics over and over again. You can tell he really doesn’t have the gusto to get into it any more.

As for Cain, i think that’s a mistake. When he was on in the evenings, I remember grimmacing as I was being yelled at over the radio, and then waiting for the point of a long thought. I mean how long does it take to get to the point? It’s like he’s reading Bill Richardson’s strategies on how to run out the clock in debate.

Personally, I’m enjoying Erick’s nightly show, but I think he should stay there, because the format and glib responses are a great break from WSB’s new strategy of regurgitation.

martha zoller June 4, 2012 at 9:19 am

Congrats to both. My dear friend, Herman Cain, and the Talkmaster!

ZazaPachulia June 4, 2012 at 9:38 am

Good to see WSB inject some fresh young blood with The Hermanator (age 66) replacing Old Man Boortz (age 67).

I will continue to tune into the goons on 680 and 790 (but not 790′s awful morning show), complain about my lousy radio choices and be too much of a cheapskate to buy satellite radio.

John Vestal June 4, 2012 at 9:45 am

Have always enjoyed listening to Neal…..and not just because being a listener made me $15K richer a bit over 15 years ago (story for another day….and most of it went into mutual funds for the boys…as far as they know).

Certainly didn’t listen to Herman’s previous show as much as I have Neal’s, but looking forward to his return.

Progressive Dem June 4, 2012 at 10:03 am

I hope it was John Sugg’s piece in Creative Loafing that pushed him over the cliff.

Calypso June 4, 2012 at 11:11 am

Suggs is often an ignorant, clueless ass. This article was one of those times.

Jackster June 4, 2012 at 11:29 am

I got that impression from his headshot before delving into his column.

I stopped reading a few paragraphs in…

ZazaPachulia June 4, 2012 at 11:30 am

Suggs has been “reporting” on Boortz for ages. Maybe the two can retire together in Florida. The biggest scoop on Boortz he ever got was the draft-dodging stuff. Boortz has never been able to refute that. It’s never a good idea to lie about your draft status.

saltycracker June 4, 2012 at 10:31 am

The common denominator for the popularity of the politically incorrect “Dirty Harrys” and “Nasty Neals” is incompetent leadership.

AMB June 4, 2012 at 10:33 am

Herman Cain? Herman Cain? Were they desperate? Does he have negatives of top people and goats?
Why would anyone listen to that putrid lying buffoon?

Self_Made June 4, 2012 at 10:55 am

I appreciate Neal for introducing libertarian philosophy to my train of thought and making me a regular listener of talk radio back in the early-90′s. I was a fan when he was with the Ex-Wife and was a regular listener well into his run with WSB, when he was the rational adult and Hannity was the whiny, tantrum throwing child. Then he became a middle-finger puppet like the rest and I had to stop listening. Still…can’t knock his game. Best wishes, Neal.

gcp June 4, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I quit listening years ago. The contradictions and hypocrisy were too much. He criticized public schools but sent his child to a public school. Loves military intervention but somehow managed to avoid the draft during Viet Nam. Used to refer to WSB as “were so boring” but then went to work there. Many other contradictions with this guy. And to WSB, surely you can find someone more knowledgeable than Herman Cain for this time slot.

Stefan June 4, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Neal Boortz was maddening much of the time, but he still attracted attention. His legal arguments were facile and even the most tipsy dinner party guest wouldn’t have trouble reciting them. My only refuge at those times was eggnog (or other seasonally appropriate libation), so I suppose my waistline and sobriety are glad for his impending departure. Somehow the rest of me is not.

The Last Democrat in Georgia June 4, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Neal Boortz retiring, well, that sucks.

I don’t always agree with Boortz and I take much of what he says with a grain of salt, but I do always find him to be wildly entertaining.

I do know that things have not been the same for him ever since his sidekick, Royal Marshall, died.

I don’t know if that played apart in his decision, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it at least played a small part in it.

Chuck Shiflett June 4, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I’ve listened to Boortz off & on since the mid-70′s (yes I was a teenagers back then). He has his schtick down pat, but has consistently been one of the most entertaining talkers during his career. Have to admit I’ve listened to Beck more than Boortz in recent years.

WSB and the national syndicator are making a huge mistake with Herman Cain. He’s a great guy… I voted for him against Isakson (2004?) in the GOP Senate Primary. However Cain is not quick enough and doesn’t have the wit needed for a successful national show. Whenever Cain subbed for Neal I ALWAYS turned the dial.

So long Neal… we’ll all miss you. And for WSB… just so long.

SallyForth June 4, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Good to see the Boortzster will be retiring in the lap of luxury – some feat for a guy who started his career driving a car for Lester Maddox. Goes to show that anybody can contort themselves to pretty much any philosophy for the almighty dollar.

I’m with LDIG about the death of Royal Marshall having quite an effect on Boortz. And I’m also with all the people questioning the insertion of Herman Cain into Boortz’s time slot!! He’s like nails on a chalkboard on the radio – WSB management needs to rethink that one.

Three Jack June 4, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Herman? Really WSB? I could barely stand his ignorant blather at night, he will destroy the morning ratings.

Over / Under on length of Cain’s tenure as morning BSer? I say 3 months, by September WSB will be searching the world for somebody who has a clue.

joe June 4, 2012 at 5:03 pm

@ Three Jack

“His last day hosting The Neal Boortz Show, which premiered on News/Talk WSB in 1993 and now airs on more than 200 radio stations with six million weekly listeners, will be January 18, 2013.”

January + 3 months is April, not September. If you can’t count the months any better, you probably ought to stay away from over/under bets.

Calypso June 4, 2012 at 5:07 pm

He was figuring in daylight savings time.

CobbGOPer June 4, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Having listened to both Cain and Erick Erickson, I honestly would prefer to listen to Erickson. I think he has better insight, and I feel like I learn more when I listen to him. Herman throws a lot of facts around, but he still always comes off as more of a party mouthpiece to me (I know, I know, Erickson is heavily involved in GOP politics as well, but I feel like he’s more willing to stand up to the party establishment when necessary).

Is that racist?

saltycracker June 4, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Boortz would serve well as a retired sage coming back into the picture from time to time to spread wisdom to the masses. If you stay at it long enough even good sex turns to friction.

Comments on this entry are closed.