Morning Reads for Thursday, May 31st

May 31, 2012 5:23 am

by Jason · 22 comments

Here in Georgia…
– Voters in Athens will have a couple of chances to hear candidates running for local office.
– Lance Lamberton, founder of the Cobb Taxpayers Association, recently answered some questions from the AJC about the TSPLOST.
– Rupert Grint and Alan Rickman will be doing a movie about CBGB (typo fixed, it was 5am, people), the famous NYC punk rock club, in Savannah.
– A local student was arrested after tweeting about a Columbine-style attack at his school.
– John Sugg really isn’t a fan of Neal Boortz.
– Attorney General Sam Olens is preparing to defend the TSPLOST project list.
– The Georgia Christian Coalition is calling on Chip Rogers to resign his leadership post.

National stories of interest…
– Some are saying that Ted Cruz, who is running for Senate in Texas, is the next Marco Rubio.
– The Sunlight Foundation has launched Politwoops, a collection of deleted tweets from politicians.
– Could Barack Obama’s lackluster record on civil liberties come back to haunt him?
– Spain’s economic problems are a continuing headache for Europe.
– Conor Friedersdorf says that the tactics being used to intimidate conservative bloggers are insane.
– Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell loves the idea of drones flying over the skies of America.
– Dan Rather reports that the end may be near for Hugo Chavez.
– Ron Paul’s Audit the Fed bill will get a vote in July.
– Former Rep. Artur Davis (D-AL) has joined the Republican Party.
– Rep. Thaddeus McCotter’s brief run for president last year has come back to haunt him.
– Jose Canseco is considering a career in politics. Hilarity will no doubt ensue.
– The stimulus bill cost as much at $4.1 million per job.
– Jacob Sullum blasts Obama’s rhetoric on private equity.

A few that I like…
Braves: 10, Cardinals: 7
– Tyler Pastornicky was sent down to the minors after last night’s game. Andrelton Simmons is being called up.
– How to cure a hangover.
– Todd Frazier, who plays for the Cincinnati Reds, recently saved a choking man’s life.
– Jack White is a brilliant man.

John Konop May 31, 2012 at 6:37 am

The problem with the stimulus is a lot of the money went to states that used it for helping to balance budgets over long term infrastructure. In the short term it did help with lay-offs, but did nothing to help long term growth. Btw both parties blew the cash on a local level, for short term gains and political pay-offs. This bill is the poster child of what is wrong with Washington and us. Way to many of us vote based on short term gains over the future ie Medicare, ss…………

xdog May 31, 2012 at 7:41 am

Tyler Pastornicky is sent down and Andrelton Simmons has been promoted from AA.

Ed May 31, 2012 at 8:50 am

First off–who names their child “Thaddeus” anymore?

Second off–Davis’ switch is about as genuine/non-opportunistic as Andre and Ashley Bell’s switches.

Third off–As someone who has conducted extensive field research in the Hangover Arts, the surest way to cure a hangover is time and sleep. Also, I hate all the pseudo-science surrounding drinking. But that’s a separate post.

Buzz Brockway May 31, 2012 at 9:16 am

Thaddeus may have screwed up his reelection chances but anyone who ends interviews with “rock on” can’t be all bad.

Andre May 31, 2012 at 9:50 am

It’s curious how someone could say that my switching to the Republican Party was both a disingenuous and opportunistic move.

After all, what have I gained from being a black Republican other than a clear conscience?

I’m not on the state Republican committee. I’m not a delegate to the Republican National Convention. I haven’t had a legislative map drawn in my favor to win an election.

What opportunities were there for me to switch? What have I gained?

It is much more difficult to be a black Republican than it is to be a black Democrat. It is much more difficult to go against the grain, knowing that people who look like I do will hurl insults like “Uncle Tom,” “Token,” and “Sell-out” in my direction.

So I ask again, by going against the flow; by swimming against the current, what have I gained? What opportunities do I have now that I didn’t have before?

benevolus May 31, 2012 at 12:29 pm

You’ll have a bigger field of players to annoy?

SmyrnaSAHM May 31, 2012 at 8:59 am

“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no fooling around. This ain’t no Mud Club, or CBGB, I ain’t got time for that now…”

Now that I think about it, those lyrics are about how I feel on any given day during my current SAHM gig.

I Miss the 90s May 31, 2012 at 9:39 am

I have two comments today. First, the statement that stimulus jobs cost $4.1million a piece is stupid and misleading. The stimulus act (the second of the two) was not a jobs bill. It was designed to update/repair infrastructure that had been ignored by states for years and to prevent a worsening of the recession. Mission Accomplished.

Second, with all the fuss I have seen on PeachPundit about ALEC in the past couple of months I am surprised this did not the morning read: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/31/us-walmart-alec-idUSBRE84U05N20120531

Walmart is ending its 19 year long membership with ALEC (following a slew of other major corporations) because of how ridiculously right-wing the group has become over social-policy.

Come to think of, and perhaps some of you will know the answer (please share it if you do because I am curious), was Wal-Mart ALEC’s wealthiest member before this?

Baker May 31, 2012 at 12:19 pm

“It was designed to update/repair infrastructure that had been ignored by states for years and to prevent a worsening of the recession. Mission Accomplished.”

Whaat? (head spinning around in Shaggy from Scooby-Doo fashion) That stimulus bill was a once in two-generation opportunity to make dramatic changes a la the WPA/ CCC. Instead, it was a slush fund for states who used it to shore up budgets that otherwise would’ve had major shortfalls and governors would have had to make very hard decisions.

Refer to Konop at the top.

Jason June 3, 2012 at 1:45 am

That is absolutely not true. Go back and read what was said during the debate over the bill.

Mrs. Adam Kornstein May 31, 2012 at 10:26 am

I attended the East Cobb Civic Associations Candidate forum last evening. The featured candidates were all running for Cobb Commission Chair.
Highlights:
The room was packed-easily 90 people, little A/C working at that point.
Median age 62.
With exception of Chair Tim Lee no one had any love for the TSPLOST.
Former Chair Bill Byrne, still a cranky old man…maybe crankier if that’s possible.
Larry Savage slightly less nutty than a year and a half ago.
Seems the the Cobb GOP has quite the schism on it’s hands. Almost no one looked happy to be there and the folks running against Lee took no end of glee in attacking him.

Why was it necessary to have two police officers on hand? What the heck were they expecting at the ParkAire library, this isn’t the 5th Congressional DNC caucus after all.

Bridget May 31, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I was there last night also. I am not in any way endorsing a candidate, but I thought Mike Boyce did well. His name ID is a concern, but he comes across well when speaking.

John Konop May 31, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I know him well, a very bright guy, who would do a great job!

Bridget May 31, 2012 at 10:56 am

I’m a maybe on my support for TSPLOST. Definitely give me more details on the gameplan to pass the TIA ;)

The Last Democrat in Georgia May 31, 2012 at 11:37 am

“Definitely give me more details on the gameplan to pass the TIA”

Okay. You want more details on the “gameplan” to pass the TIA? Here is a perfect metaphor:

Imagine as a taxpayer that you work for a pizza company that discourages their drivers from carrying firearms.

Let’s say that you are out on a run making a delivery to a house in a very questionable neighborhood and you get out of your car to take the pizza up to the front door.

Let’s say you get about 10-15 away from your car and seemingly out of nowhere comes about four hoodlums from four different directions each with really big guns drawn and they stick their really big guns to your head and proceed to rob you of all your money and all your personal belongings that you have on you (any and all jewelry, necklaces, earrings, finger rings, etc).

The armed robbers also take your pizza and your car and the shoes that you are wearing.

The armed robbers even take your baseball cap and the jacket you’re wearing each with the pizza company’s logo on it (may come in handy for future stick-ups and home invasions).

…That pretty much sums up the gameplan to pass the TIA/T-SPLOST.

benevolus May 31, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I saw that Chavez story on Newsmax. thought that was pretty funny- Newsmax quoting Dan Rather for a news story.

SallyForth May 31, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Now we have it – John Edwards not guilty on one count and mistrial on all the rest. He was a lousy husband but did not break any campaign laws – which was obvious from the start if you looked at it carefully. This was a monstrous waste of taxpayers’ money by the Obama administration’s DOJ to mount such a shaky prosecution, smacked of some kind of political vendetta to me.

He deserved to permanently live in the dog house, but not in the big house.

John Konop June 1, 2012 at 9:38 am

I agree!

elfiii May 31, 2012 at 5:18 pm

The really good news is Chavez ia about to die. I hope it is a painful death. I never cared much for tyrants and dictators. May he be miserable in Hell.

benevolus May 31, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Aww, he called an assembly to revise the constitution to try to control corruption, and he partly nationalized the oil companies so that the people would benefit from that natural resource instead of foreign corporations.
Bad dude.

Baker May 31, 2012 at 7:51 pm

If by “try to control corruption” you mean “make himself dictator for life”.

Chavez’ unbelievable mismanagement of oil production has led to consistently dropping production levels for near a decade. Directing all the money that should be reinvested into infrastructure into buying votes will eventually lead to problems.

benevolus May 31, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Ah, but prices are up, aren’t they? What’s good for Venezuela isn’t the same as what’s good for YOU.
And fighting the big corporations politically ain’t cheap.
If that’s the worst you got against Chavez, there are 50 worse guys out there more deserving of scorn.

Comments on this entry are closed.