Balfour Expected To Draw 2 Primary Challengers

It appears that former State Representative Clay Cox has chosen against opposing Don Balfour and his $750,000 and rising campaign warchest for his Gwinnett County Senate Seat.  Instead, two other candidates are now expected to qualify tomorrow.

Debbie Dooley, Co-Founder of the Atlanta Tea Party and Steve Ramey of the Founding Fathers chapter of the Tea Party Patriots are both said to be filing papers at the State Capitol tomorrow.

Further, additional information is expected to be added to one of the pending ethics complaints against Balfour regarding his conflict of interest as being the sole auditor of expense reports from Senators including himself, contradicting Georgia code.  Earlier complaints focused on Balfour’s multiple claims for mileage to and from his Snellville home and the Capitol on days when he was out of state, as well as days when he was staying in his Atlanta condominum which he keeps courtesy of his campaign account.

1. CobbGOPer says:

Clay Cox, honestly, would not have been much better than Balfour. Cox is all tied up with Ronnie Chance and the Jay Morgan mafia of current and former lobbyists.

2. Nixonstheone says:

So the “ethics complaints” filed by the ATP was just campaign maneuvering by Debbie; thanks for making that clear.

• Charlie says:

For those new to our comments section, Nixonstheone is well postioned to win this campaign cycle’s “Tariq Aziz” award.

Please keep up the good work and finish strong Nix.

• CobbGOPer says:

I thought the only reason Debbie is running is because they couldn’t find someone else, though now that Steve Ramey is running I don’t know why she’s persisting.

But good luck to her and Steve, either one of them would be infinitely better than Balfour.

• debbie0040 says:

Nixon, I found out I was in Balfour’s district when I received a mailpiece from him the other day. I checked the map and realized I was. We had recruited others to run, not knowing I was in his district. I thought I was in Renee’s district. I knew the person we recruited would face heavy pressure not to run against an incumbent Senator so we had a back up plan. Having two opponents increases the odds of defeating him..

If I had planned on running, I would have had someone else file the complaint/

• Scott65 says:

I for one dont find that to be a conflict…in fact it would be a better reason to run!

• KD_fiscal conservative says:

“Having two opponents increases the odds of defeating him”

Uh….no, just no. I hope you came up with that little gem of info yourself , and not a high paid consultants who love to encourage candidates they know can raise money to run. I don’t know if could be any clearer, but * you are going to split the antiestablishment vote and money with Steve.* If your plan was to “tag team” the incombent, only one of you should have run, with the other works to get grassroots support against Balfour.

With that said, good luck in taking on Balfour, I support you over him anyday. I think it’s great your taking on GOP leadership and not just touting the GOP line like so many others in the party.

• Jimmie says:

I think it’s great your taking on GOP leadership and not just touting the GOP line like so many others in the party………………Guess you weren’t at the State Convention. lol

• troutbum70 says:

Yeah, having a 3 way Primary isn’t necessarily a good thing in trying to defeat an incumbent. It would only increase the odds if it were a general election race. My suggestion would be to talk to Steve and see which one remains an ardent Tea Party leader and who gets to take on Balfour.

• Calypso says:

I disagree with both KD and Troutbum. Having three in the primary increases the likelihood that no one will get a majority and it goes to a run-off. The run-off is when the second (Debbie) and third (Steve) place folks team-up to defeat the top vote-getter (Balfour).

I’m not predicting Balfour will not be in the general, but Debbie is correct in her strategy.

• Calypso says:

Yes. I was involved in a race with three against an incumbent and my guy (challenger) was #1 vote-getter with 37% in the primary and defeated the #2 vote-getter in the run-off. It was a walk-over for him in a heavy R general.

3. Mrs. Adam Kornstein says:

If one is not a party insider, how are we to know who is Tea Party and who is not? Will they endorse candidates in some fashion? Or do people assume all incumbents are main line GOP and challengers are Tea Party?

• Calypso says:

All the Tea Party candidates will have yellow T & P sewn onto the lapel of their coat. I believe the mainline GOP incumbents have a white I on theirs.

Are those not this year’s regulations, Charlie?

4. Scott65 says:

I posted this in another thread but its much more relevant here:

I feel like I need to say this…its very rare in politics and in ones political thought to make a 180 degree change about the opinion you have of someone you read about (but have never met). Although there are several things that I strongly disagree with this person on, as far as the issues are concerned, its very rare to see a person who dives into the political arena and truly walks the walk and talks the talk. A person who is not afraid to stand arm in arm with union leaders when they have common cause, a person who doesn’t tow the republican party line when they disagree, a person who thinks ethics is more than just lip service, but REAL actions. The more I see and read about Debbie Dooley…the more I hope she does run against Balfour. We need people who are not afraid to follow their convictions even when its not all that popular with those in power.

• Jimmie says:

A person who is not afraid to stand arm in arm with union leaders when they have common cause, a person who doesn’t tow the republican party line when they disagree, a person who thinks ethics is more than just lip service, but REAL actions. …………Another one that missed the State Convention! 😉

5. The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

The electorate truly is brain-dead if this guy gets re-elected yet again after all of the negative publicity he’s received.

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Let’s face it, the typical voter has no clue who their State Rep or State Senator is. Go ask your friends who are not involved in or have an interest in State politics/policy. Most people just assume that the Governor runs everything.

Sadly, Balfour will be back…

• KD_fiscal conservative says:

So true, your average joe doesn’t know or care about what or who a state legislator is or does.

6. Balfour’s existing district was quickly trending Democratic, which means there would have been two opportunities for voters to boot him (primary and General). Since he was allowed to redraw his own district, that is no longer the case.

7. debbie0040 says:

Mrs. Adam Kornstein,

Local tea parties will send out emails and so will Atlanta Tea Party. There are some incumbents that are tea party .