Douglasville Mayor Vetoes Sunday Sales Bill Passed By City Council

According to CBS Atlanta, voters in Douglasville won’t be able to decide on whether or not they can purchase alcohol on Sundays.  The city council passed a ballot measure that city voters would vote upon during the November general election, but measure was vetoed by Mayor Harvey Persons.  Mayor Persons also vetoed a measure that would have allowed bars to serve alcohol until 2a on Sunday morning.

The Douglasville Patch has a letter from the Mayor explaining why he vetoed both measures:

“The Douglasville Mayor has the authority to veto any action of the City Council,” reads the statement. “These two vetoes will be reported officially to the City Council during its Tuesday, May 15, legislative work session. The City Council during its regular meeting on Monday, May 21, can override each of the Mayor’s vetoes should five members vote to do so.”

As stated, the City Council has the option to override one or both of the Mayor’s vetoes if they feel so inclined.

1. bullFrog says:

Mayor Persons is representative of what is wrong in government. Hopefully, the rest of the Council will override his I-know-better-than-you vetoes, and that he will soon be removed from office.

2. James says:

I love his reasoning that “well, I think that most voters will vote against Sunday sales, so no need to vote at all.” Ah, democracy in action. Also, anyone who uses the term “spirituous liquor” needs to be put out to pasture.

• Calypso says:

“well, I think that most voters will vote FOR Sunday sales, so I won’t allow them the opportunity to vote at all.”

Fixed that for His Dishonor, as I’m sure that’s what he meant, though he said the opposite. What a putz.

3. CobbGOPer says:

I have a feeling that a challenger would have a very good chance against Mayor Persons this fall. If he’s up for re-election, that is…

• The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

If Persons is not up for re-election this fall, the longer he takes this stance, the worse it will be for him if he does have to come up for re-election.

Persons should be well-aware that no politician should ever stand between a thirsty voter and their liquor…It never turns out very well for the politician these days…

4. Rick Day says:

What a Good Christian Grandpa he is! Using his Old School political power to do our moral thinking for us. What oh what would we ever do without these morally supreme Temperance Knights making the tough decisions so we do not have to?

5. The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

““I opposed this change in the City’s current ordinance because I believe it negatively would impact the public safety of the City and would result in our streets and roads becoming more dangerous,” Persons said of extending pouring hours till 2 a.m. on Sunday.”

“Regarding letting voters have the chance to vote on a Nov. 6 Sunday sales referendum, the Mayor said, “I am opposed to this, and I feel there already is sufficient time during the week when people can make purchases of packaged beer, wine, and spirituous liquor.””

(Loud negative buzzer sound)…..WRONG answer, Mayor Persons!!!!!!!

Would you like to make that double-or-nothing?

6. Three Jack says:

Seems the honorable mayor has a two-sided mouth like so many of our current officeholders:

From 10/24/2011 Douglasville Patch in response to a question about Sunday Sales — Harvey Persons: “I personally do not favor Sunday package sales of alcohol, but feel that there is substantial public opinion to allow it to be placed on the ballot and allow the citizens to decide. The facts for both sides need to be presented and the citizens need to decide this issue.”

Full Q&A here amongst the mayoral candidates, Persons won — http://douglasville.patch.com/articles/the-candidates-respond

So he lied to get elected and has a full term in which to prevent Douglasville residents from ‘deciding the issue’. He must be a Republican.

• The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

I think that the good mayor might have been misquoted in his response.

It appears that what the good mayor meant to say was:

“The facts for both sides need to be presented and the citizens need to decide this issue….As long as they agree with me.”

There, I’m glad that we’ve got that all cleared up.

7. Harry says:

If I were mayor I’d also veto alcohol sales. If his constituents don’t like it they can vote him out. Did he lie to get elected? Well, most politicians lie with impunity. That’s no headline.

8. NoTeabagging says:

If the people want Sunday sales, they’ll eventually have it. If you have a system of govmt that allows veto, then let the man have his say. He can be at peace with his personal beliefs and the voters can elect someone else next time. In the meantime, is it too much to ask folks to plan ahead, stock up, pace yourself, or just sober up for a day?

• CobbGOPer says:

OMG, how many times do we have to tell you people who keep saying “why don’t you just manage your time better or stock up before Sunday, jeez…”?

This issue is not about DRINKING.

This issue is about FREEDOM.

• Three Jack says:

I’m with you Cobb…it is beyond ridiculous that we must get authorization to purchase an alcoholic beverage on a given day from some old fart like this guy who lied about the issue to get elected. He should be recalled and sent packing.

• benevolus says:

It’s especially ridiculous when you think that we can go somewhere and purchase a drink and drink it, but we can’t purchase a drink and take it home and drink it.
        I don’t really get the “fear”. Is it that parishioners are afraid they won’t be able to keep themselves from stopping off at the liquor store on the way home from church?

• CobbGOPer says:

The ‘fear’ is this: They’re afraid of Sunday becoming ‘just another day.’ Which it already is for those of us who do not lead our lives based on trying to please an imaginary being…

And for others who may in fact worship an imaginary being, just not on Sundays.

• Three Jack says:

Right again Cobb. Sunday is just another day for the majority of Americans and it is way past time to get over antiquated beliefs about a ‘sabbath’ that somehow involves not being able to purchase beer from a store.

We really need to explore a real church/state separation whereby religion no longer drives so many government actions. Whether it is marriage, alcholol purchases or any other issue, we need a lot more common sense with much less ‘spiritual’ influence forced into a discussion.

• NoTeabagging says:

CobbGOPer. I agree with you about freedom, and I believe this will be repealed to meet the will of the local community. It wont turn the entire city into a bunch of drunk slackers lolling about every Sunday any more than any other day.

I believe freedom comes with responsibility toward your fellow citizens. Respect other people’s freedom, especially in public. (end public service announcement, cue music)

9. jiminga says:

Big Brother is watching. The mayor knows what’s best. We don’t need no stinkin’ vote!

10. John Vestal says:

I would trust that….. considering all the media attention… the City Council is getting plenty of feedback from residents. Assuming they all show up at Monday’s meeting and vote the same way they originally did on both the Sunday Sales and extended pouring hours ordinances, all of this rigamarole will be moot.

11. Andre says:

The Mayor of Douglasville will soon learn that the most popular people appearing on the ballot are Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, and Evan Williams.