Atlanta TEA Party/Peach Pundit T-SPLOST Text Poll Results

Tuesday through Friday of last week we asked readers to text their opinions on the upcoming regional T-SPLOSTs.  Our final results are in, and are as follows:

No – 51.40%

Yes – 46.36%

Und – 2.24%

Make of the results what you will in the comments section below.

1. debbie0040 says:

Participation in this poll was not just by PP readers. Activists on both sides encouraged people to participate. About 25 – 30% of tea party activists do not have text messaging or they have Androids. For some reason people using Androids had problems participating..

• Engineer says:

I would liked to have participated, but I don’t use text messaging for anything outside of family and very close friends.

2. leslieg says:

When will people wake up and stop voting TO TAX THEMSELVES? Most people complain that taxes are too high, government is too big yet when the question is put on a ballot for voters to raise their own taxes, often it passes. Why is this? I wish that people would demand goverment officials find ways to cut spending in order to fund these projects. If T-SPLOST passes whatever your current county sales tax is will go up 1 PERCENT. So in my county, it will take us from 7% to 8%- why would anyone vote for that? I just don’t get it.

3. debbie0040 says:

This poll was highly successful. Many more people particpated than I thought would. We are extremely pleased.. We only had 4 activists report issues using their Android and they thought the culprit was Google Voice..

We are going to have to use social media and technology like text polls and text messaging as one of the tools to defeat Obama. He used text messaging and social media to his advantage in 2008, now it is time conservatives use it to our advantage as well….Most people will read a text message within 5 minutes of receiving it. Constrast that with email where it sometimes take people 48 hours to read emails. We need to educate activists on the benefits of social media and text messaging.

I think another poll closer to July to see if there is any change would be great…

4. gchidi says:

I sat in on a discussion the other day at Creative Loafing’s offices, where major proponents and opponents of the T-SPLOST debated the merits of the penny sales tax referendum slated for next month.

Jeff Dickerson, a friend and AJC alum, was one of the speakers supporting the measure — his communications firm is leading the messaging around the T-SPLOST advocacy. I walked in undecided, but with a positive bias toward the measure. I walked out undecided, with a negative bias. Here’s why.

Something he said during the forum has been rolling around in my mind for the last few days. He mentioned a Texas Transportation Institute study estimating that time stuck in traffic costs the average metro Atlanta commuter $924 a year in wasted fuel and lost time.

I’ve been doing back of the envelope math to work out the cost-benefit analysis around that figure, relative to passing or not passing the T-SPLOST. A typical commuter spends, what, $25,000 in income subject to this tax? That’s $250 for the T-SPLOST — less, actually, since one can assume a decrease in marginal consumption. The city of Atlanta has about 425,000 residents and collected about $100 million in MOST sales taxes in FY 2011. That’s $235 a pop. A bit more per commuter, actually, when you factor in that about 20 percent of the city is under 18 and doesn’t exactly commute. I can only assume the revenue figure is higher for folks living outside of the city limits, who may be more affluent.

I bring this up because I’m thinking about what my $250 a year is going to buy. How much of that “congestion tax” will this expenditure reduce? And what is the value of the other ancillary benefits to economic development?

Jeff, where’s the other side of this equation?

I can only imagine that the folks pressing for passage of the T-SPLOST must have considered the math here when thinking about how to present this for public consideration. I almost have to assume that some wonkish firm — perhaps the Texas Transportation Institute itself — was engaged early in a study of this very question. And I would have figured that if a defensible estimate of the financial benefit emerged from that analysis, it would have been presented front and center as argument number one for passage. Here’s the net present value of this investment, relative to the plausible alternatives. Enjoy.

But that’s not what I’m hearing. That silence troubles me. Why do I get the feeling that this is going to lose more money than folks anticipate?

5. InAtl says:

Why would you want to beat Obama? He got Osama. His foreign policy decisions have been successful and saved us billions and billions over what his predecessors policies would have dictated. He stood up to shortsighted opposition and saved the Auto Industry which is now driving our economic recovery. And after 16 years of failure by Clinton and Bush he finally got some kind of Health Reform passed that will help to dramatically reduce the budget deficit and got some bank reforms passed. Hopefully in a second term he can’t get further necessary reforms to our financial system – we need to bring back something along the lines of Glass-Steagall and reform a tax system that sees the top 1% paying historically the lowest tax rates while accumulating a record amount of the nations wealth – because capitalism depends on a healthy middle class, the 20 year squeeze must be alleviated, unabated trickle down has not worked . Also his proposals to reduce corporate taxes rates while eliminating loopholes so that instead of having the highest rates with many avoiding it we have a sane rate that all pay.

I’m sorry but Mitt is not the vehicle to continue the repairs that the past 3+ years has brought about.