Morning Reads for Friday, April 27

Here in Georgia:

National Stories of Interest:

Links I like:

Buzz Brockway April 27, 2012 at 8:05 am

Quotes of the day courtesy of Rep. Earl Ehrhart:

This:

ALEC, he said, “operates completely transparently and upfront, spending non-taxpayer money — unlike the avowed crazies who are part of the groups that don’t like ALEC,” Ehrhart said. “We’re not communists. We have Jeffersonian principles. It’s in the mission statement. Individual liberty. Free markets. That’s the basic stated, four-decades-old mission of ALEC, and it’s basically a restatement of our founding fathers. I’ll put that up against communists and socialists and crazed Occupy bath-needing leftists. I think the majority of the people in this state will side with ALEC.”

And this:

“I’m not afraid of some Occupy pansy sitting in a tent without a bath, I’m sorry.”

Hat Tip: Todd Rehm

Scott65 April 30, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Oh…SB313 was all about the free market…lol…funny how protecting the telecom monopoly in much of Georgia is free market..oh, written by ALEC…passed in NC, but Chip Rogers couldn’t sneak it through here

Cassandra April 27, 2012 at 9:33 am

I would ~LOVE~ to see ALEC’s high-minded, Jeffersonian principles applied to healthcare and campaign finance reform. Or perhaps the ‘transparent and upfront’ ALEC could focus it’s ‘liberty lens’ on a few ideas to reduce crime, instead of championing Corrections Corporation of America:

“Our preliminary analysis indicates companies in ALEC’s leadership put about $330 million into state politics from 2001-10. …

… ALEC allows firms to play a direct role in writing and advancing legislation that enhances their bottom lines. For example, one member, the Corrections Corporation of America, was part of the drafting process for a “model” immigration law that makes it easier for state and local authorities to lock up suspected illegal immigrants; CCA would house many of those detainees at prisons it runs under contract with state governments. …” Cue collective wheeze: 3 … 2 … 1

http://www.commoncause.org/site/apps/nlnet/content2.aspx?c=dkLNK1MQIwG&b=810365&ct=10864351 Of course, those freakin’ Commies, right?

It is easy to point to #occupywhatever, label them, and make fun of them. These folks bring it on to themselves, yet we all know that marginalizing an ‘enemy’ is Pol 101. Nor would a prudent reader misconstrue that I sympathize with the tactics, methods of #occupy, as I do not.

My point is that another segment of the population is motivated enough to get off their duffs and SHOUT about their grievances, some of which, Heaven forbid, may actually have merit.

Beating the ‘bath-needing leftists’ with a hot soapy sponge is pol expedient in an elections year, that much I do know to be true.

Calypso April 27, 2012 at 9:50 am

““I think it was in the Rose Garden where I issued this brilliant statement: If I had a magic wand — but the president doesn’t have a magic wand. You just can’t say, ‘low gas.’” –George W. Bush, Washington D.C., July 15, 2008″

Agreed, but that didn’t stop you liberals from bashing Bush for just that issue. Now you want to issue Obama a pass because he’s your guy. I know, that’s how politics works, but you folks are so transparent in both your words and deeds it’s laughable.

peachstealth April 27, 2012 at 9:57 am
sunkawakan April 27, 2012 at 10:57 am

Ehrhart needs to get a grip, rather than playing high school games like name-calling. Doesn’t say much for the state of Georgia. Pansy, indeed.

Cassandra April 27, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Now then, I have postulated that POTUS will be tweeted into office and that the popular vote be durned, he’ll win it in the electoral college. POTUS is a Chicago pol, no tougher a match, he’s calculatin’, cajoling, using all the forces of Federal largesse, to win those 270 collegiate votes.

Univ of VA Larry Sabato has taken my worst fears and quantified them for those math-minded political wonk/ettes among you:

BTW, Sabato also predicts presidential hopeful, Mitt Romney’s faith will be an issue. I think he is wrong on that one, but I predict pol-ops will frame the choices along these lines:

“2012: YOUR CHOICE: No controversial president with unemployment over 8% could possibly be reelected. No Mormon candidate, especially one who lacks a common touch, could possibly be elected.”

Mike Hassinger April 27, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Gas price avg, 4/04: $1.86/gal
Gas price avg, 7/08: $4.12/gal
Gas price avg, 1/09: $1.61/gal
Gas price avg, 4/12: $3.87/gal

Cassandra April 27, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Yeah, we need Mitt, I agree.

Watch and see gas prices trickle down up til November.

Harry April 28, 2012 at 7:37 pm

No matter what you think of Ron Paul and the Fed – this is a good read

Comments on this entry are closed.