Hank Johnson At FairTax Rally?

First, full disclosure: Hank Johnson was my client for a minute or two, because I live in DeKalb County and he was not Cynthia McKinney. Those are probably the only two things Representative Johnson and I have in common -or so I thought, until I saw this picture of him at a FairTax Rally:

Hank Johnson, FairTax supporter? Not quite.

I know what you’re thinking -you’re thinking “Guam!” because everyone always thinks that when they see Hank, but a little research reveals what he actually said:

The audio is a kind of sketchy, but Hank says that while he does NOT endorse the FairTax, he does see the need for “fundamental tax reform in this country,” and that he’s willing “to listen.”

Kudos to Hank Johnson for being willing to admit that America’s tax system punishes prosperity and for having an open mind.

1. Calypso says:

I believe Hank was there because he thought enacting the FairTax could be a new governmental revenue source by enacting a levy on the Ferris Wheel, Tilt-a-Whirl, cotton-candy sales and the Milk Bottle Toss.

2. Jackster says:

I give kudos to my congressman, Woodall, to getting Hank out to the rally. I’m sure that was not easy.

3. Max Power says:

Listen carefully Mike. Johnson doesn’t say that America’s tax system punishes prosperity, what he said is if we don’t have fundamental tax reform it will hurt prosperity. Two different things.

• “I think that if we don’t change our tax system, uhh… soon, then it’s going to continue to hurt prosperity for this nation.”
      Note the use of the word “continue,” which you can do if you “listen carefully,” Max.

• Max Power says:

Still that’s different from your allegation that the acknowledged that the tax system punishes prosperity. Johnson may very well believe that higher rates will add to prosperity overall.

• Baker says:

The gist of it is that everyone knows the tax system is so convoluted everyone knows it needs to be fixed. We can argue over rates, but everyone should agree serious reform/ simplification is necessary.

If we were really serious, we’d all accept that the tax code is one of the key ways we don’t have a free market and instead have a directed economy these days.

4. Bulldog1 says:

While I support Fair Tax, I have to be taken back by the support of Hank Johnson. This from the Congressman who, not only thought, but spoke in a Congressional Hearing that the Island of Guam would capsize due to too many military people being stationed on the island!

• Jackster says:

I’m not shocked at all by this. Hank’s district borders woodall’s in gwinnett. I’m just glad wo. odall had him out there.

5. saltycracker says:

Washinton does not want to pass a rational tax code preferring to add pages and winners and loosers. The democrats believe the fix is thousands of new IRS agents.

If fair or flat tax got serious center stage the debate would be exclusions and exemptions. The last thing a connected or millionaire US senator would want to really see is tax reform.

• saltycracker says:

Registered (R) yes, but neither party is behaving responsibly as you’ve seen in my rants.
        If they both fight to a stalemate it is ok with me as long as they do not blow up the financial system. And they both almost got ‘er done in 2008.

“…..the Feds zero-interest-rate policy penalizes prudent savers to favor imprudent borrowers and idiotic lenders.”
        Allan Sloan
        Fortune

• saltycracker says:

Allan Sloan
        Fortune

• saltycracker says:

Details !
            Georgia homestead, Registered voter, Republican, delegate, Florida native & property owner (family migrated there from Georgia in 1860’s – trouble here – & some returned),
            we’re Seminoles, Gators, Bulldogs & Eagles…..Go ‘Noles

6. John Konop says:

Fair Tax is a classic example of talking point politics. Any rational person would not support this idea who truly understood it. But the people who sell this concept, fire people up with an anti IRS sales pitch, while fooling hem withe math and facts. So many issues like this are sold like 30 second commercials over a real reflection and debate.

• Cassandra says:

As previously discussed on PP, FairTax will not eliminate the IRS, nor does it tax as fairly as advertised.

Rep. Johnson gets hammered a lot around here, yet his District is relatively moderate Dem. His office is extremely professional and he has made a serious efforts to educate the public about health care issues. Not that sound public policy is important in a political blog.

But, he is in the cross-hairs, so, please, do go on.

7. VernonHuffman says:

Since the only thing backing the US dollar is faith in the US government and it is, for now, the default global exchange currency, Congress could, without taxing or borrowing, simply create the funds they need for their programs. It would be more sensible than allowing the banks to create funds through fractional reserve lending. If Congress had the wisdom to create programs that enhanced faith in the government, the effect would be to stabilize the dollar. All that’s lacking is the political will.

Don’t expect to hear any members of the two mainstream parties endorsing this idea.