Happy Tax Day! (or something)
Here in Georgia…
- Rep. John Barrow has $1 million sitting in the bank.
- Are Atlanta police officers worried that the new Citizens Review Board director will be too transparent?
- Gov. Deal has signed off on the legislation requiring drug testing for benefits.
- A new survey from the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta shows that businesses in the Southeast are worried about inflation.
- Joanie Scott wonders why Henry County spent $500,000 on an empty bank building while at the same time threatening to layoff public safety workers.
National stories of interest…
- Gallup’s latest tracking poll shows Romney with a 2 point lead over Barack Obama.
- Romney’s team has started the search for a running mate.
- The Senate shot down the so-called “Buffett Rule” last night.
- Jonathan Hoenig explains that, despite Facebook’s recent purchase of Instagram, we will not see another tech bubble.
- Here’s a look at the top paid lobbyists in Washington.
- There is a “bagel tax” in New York?
- January 1, 2013 has been dubbed “Taxmageddon” due to the number of tax hikes set to take effect.
- Here’s the most recent list of congressional retirements.
- Obama’s numbers for April are down to Gerald Ford territory.
- Where do your tax dollars go?
- The Wall Street Journal says that North Korea’s fail missile launch may be a laughing matter, but our failed foreign policy towards the country isn’t.
- Tim Cavanaugh notes that the “profit” from TARP keeps getting smaller.
- $200k in stimulus money was spent to move a shrub out of the path of a highway project.
- Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT) is “doggone offended” by libertarians.
- The Atlantic shows how we pay taxes in 11 charts.
- Activists are starting to speak out against CISPA, which they are dubbing to be next SOPA.
- Herman Cain’s rally on Capitol Hill yesterday was a bust.
- Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA) says he urged Obama not to pursue health care reform.
- Roger Clemens is set to be prosecuted for lying to Congress about steroid usage.
- Matt Welch gives five news reasons why the IRS is screwing over Americans.
A few that I like…
- Mets: 6, Braves: 1
- The Braves will retire John Smoltz’s #29 and induct him into the team’s Hall of Fame on June 8th.
- Tupac is back! Well, sort of.
- Best Buy will close two stores in Georgia.
- A lost boy found his mother by using Google Earth.