Georgia State Enters the Big Time

April 9, 2012 14:37 pm

by Ed · 8 comments

Rawr

Georgia State University will become a member of Div I-A Football the Football Bowl Subdivision in 2013 as part of the Sun Belt conference.

The move comes following the stunning success of 2011  and the inaugural season where we nearly beat ‘Bama in Tuscaloosa.

We will be joining such gridiron titans as Troy, Florida International (and Florida Atlantic!), North Texas and University of Louisiana-Monroe.

My takeaway from the press conference (info here from The AJC) is that UGA needs to schedule a home/home with GSU starting in 2013. I have no doubt that Mark Richt, Mike Adams and the rest of that lot fear GSU too much to make it happen, however.

Fear the Panthers, here us roar.

ETA: This will also happen as GSU celebrates its centenary.

Andre April 9, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Remember this comment?

How about this one?

I called it. 5 years, and Georgia State University is competing for bids to the bowls, baby.

So the question is, brother, whatcha gonna do?

Joshua Morris April 9, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I’ve not heard where the other GSU sports will compete. Will they compete in the Sun Belt as well?

The Last Democrat in Georgia April 9, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Yeah, they will as the membership to the Sunbelt is pretty much for all sports.

But nobody really cares about those other sports as football is the ONLY sport that matters around these parts.

CobbGOPer April 9, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Don’t get too comfortable. My alma mater, KSU, will be starting our program in the next couple of years. Go Owls!

Demonbeck April 9, 2012 at 4:08 pm

So when will GSU face the REAL GSU (it’s in Statesboro) on the gridiron?

dgh April 9, 2012 at 11:44 pm

real university system members play Mercer.

dgh April 9, 2012 at 11:45 pm

but I must say, I am awful proud of the Terry College of Business, Atlanta Extension. Y’all don’t torment NATS too bad, now you hear?

Love,

Franklin College

Rick Day April 10, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I may become a fan. Talk about a ‘ground floor opportunity’!

Comments on this entry are closed.