Will The Ron Paulers Stick With The GOP?

It seems like once every four years the Ron Paul army organizes and tries to conquer the GOPs and squawk when they meet resistance from party regulars. I have no issue with people who believe in our cause and want to actively participate.  The rub is when a minority (some places have faced a majority, but seems like a small, vocal minority) quadrennial folks come out of the woodwork to voice their displeasure with the establishment, try to assert their will upon the conventions, and then go away after the nomination process.

Some stay and some go, but it just seems like the Ron Paul supporters tend to only participate during the presidential election conventions.  I’d offer the same advice that I offered the Tea Party folks:  it’s easier to work from the grassroots.  However, the caveat is that you should try to attend meetings, be involved with events, and generally get to know fellow Republicans.  We (the party folks) are not your enemies.  We may not agree on all things, but I believe we can work together if we see eye-to-eye on about 75% to 80% of issues.  Things may get heated or awkward, but that’s life in politics.  Heck, you might even make friends and find a way to get your ideas pushed forward.

We’re heading to the District and State Conventions over the next couple of months.  I’ve heard reports that there’s a coordinated effort by Ron Paulers to complain to county GOP chairmen across the state where Ron Paul did not win a majority of delegates, and I’ve also heard rumors of Ron Paulers and the Tea Party making a concerted effort to take over one of the District GOP Conventions.  Whether or not that rumor will become fact will be realized on April 14th.

My challenge to the Ron Paul supporters is this: stick with us.  We need energy and drive.  Most of you signed an oath saying that you believed in the principles of the Republican Party.  I’ll take you at your word for that.

1. Jamess says:

You don’t deserve our youthful energy and support after the way you treated us. Enjoy losing in November

2. liquidify says:

Answer… No and yes. We won’t vote for your candidate for president unless he represents real and substantive cuts to the government as a whole and does so based on a constitutional value structure. The only person offering those cuts is Paul and you were warned that we would settle for nothing less from the very beginning of this cycle. Yet you still pushed and pushed the big banker backed and big government candidates who will all perpetuate a globalist governmental model and a keynesian economic model.

The neoconservative agenda is not compatible with a true conservative agenda, and there is no way that we could see eye to eye on 80% of issues. It is probably more like 20 percent of issues that we align on, and even then, our motivation is completely different.

Example; you may fight for gun rights because you find it politically convenient, whereas we fight for gun rights because they give the public the ability to combat government tyranny and because they are constitutional.

The place where we will stick with you is in that we are taking over the Republican party. Our values, ideals, and emphasis on the constitution as the basis for our arguments are things that you cannot keep the public from gradually becoming more aware of. As this occurs, your stranglehold on both local government positions and party leadership positions will slip away, and thus; Your ability to control the structure and philosophy will disappear.

So, yes we will stick with you by undermining you, much like the neoconservatives infiltrated the party and undermined its values 20 to 30 years ago. You can join us, or you can disappear, but understand we do this because we believe in the vision the founders had. If you join us for power or for control, you will be found out and removed.

America can be great again when its leaders are willing to give up power and position for the good of society. In much the same way as George Washing turned down additional presidential terms, and in the same sense that he opposed the label of “king,” the leaders in this country will have to again remember that they exist to serve the republic. The public is a single element in this, as we are not a democracy in the pure sense. If the public is pushing toward reliance on government, then they must be stopped as this will negatively impact the strength of the republic. And if the government is pushing toward more control of markets, currency, and control over individual’s lives and information, then they also must be stopped.

This is what is happening now. Soon you will no longer be able to call yourself the establishment.

3. Ramblinwreck says:

“Most of you signed an oath saying that you believed in the principles of the Republican Party. I’ll take you at your word for that.”

There’s the rub. I think most of the RP supporters believe more strongly in the principles of the Republican Party than the members of the Republican party do today. What happened to the GOP that used to actually call for smaller government or does the GOP not believe in that any longer? From the voting records I see of the candidates they hold in highest esteem, they do not.

• Joseph says:

Please don’t confuse the grassroots folks with those that have succumb to the frills of big government. I think you will slowly see a move back to true Conservatisim as long as the grassroots folks stay active and effect change. For some, the change is too slow – which I understand can be frustrating, but it is the system we have.

I see what happened at the County Conventions from both sides…call me a party insider, I’m active at the Precinct, County, District, and State level, but I welcome all those that espouse Conservative values. If you are new to the Party or the process, please take the time to learn the rules and procedures used, if you are a longtime ingrained supporter/operative/etc, please take the time to learn the rules and procedures BUT you also have an additional -duty- to welcome and include those who are new and interested in our cause. In Columbus, we did not have the “problems” of the other counties, but we were able to include those who support Congressman Paul because our active base is smaller but we have a large number of delegates because of the size of the county.

Now I do challenge those who support the values of Representative Paul to stick around and be engaged after the Conventions and the general election to help us make the change I think all of us would like. Will everyone agree with you all the time? No, and compromise can be had and not necessarily make someone a RINO as alluded to above. And, do I think people who have been involved a long time deserve a chance to lead / be a delegate / etc ahead of those that are new or not involved… Yes and No. To me, there should not be a defined “tenure” before you are “allowed” to participate at a higher level, you must earn that slot through demonstrating genuine leadership in your respective group. You “pay your dues” by being a good leader and a good follower – time involved does not equal dues but time can be an indicator of commitment.

I would also remind everyone we are a land and a party of rules and EVERYONE (insiders and newcomers alike) must follow those rules…if you don’t like the rules, there are venues to change them – use them! I am still an optimist that, in time with enough hard work, all things can be changed for the better.

4. The Big Kahuna says:

Ron Paulers? Hell, I vored for Newt andI’m not sticking with the Republican Party. I will not support or ever vote for that fraud of a Republican Mitt Romney.

• CobbGOPer says:

Right there with you. Though I didn’t vote for Newt. I didn’t vote for anyone in the primary, actually. I only voted so I could approve Sunday Sales in Cobb. And even then I’m going to have to go back to vote again, since they (intentionally?) screwed up the county vote. But it’s ok, since then I’ll get to vote against T-SPLOST out of anger for them making me come back to approve Sunday sales twice.

5. seenbetrdayz says:

I went to my first county GOP meeting this week. The folks there seemed like good folks, but not very engaging. I didn’t see a single person there under 40 (and that’s estimating on the low end, I didn’t actually go around asking people their age), and, well, the aura that meeting gave off seemed to be one of an ‘inside club.’ Just walking in, you get the feeling that you don’t really belong, and the worst part is, I don’t think the people there even realized that’s the vibe they’re giving off. It’s almost as if they forgot how to react when someone new walks in. Fortunately, two members there approached me after the meeting concluded, and struck up a conversation on socialism, and said they were glad to have me. Well, they were the only folks who that kept me from leaving the meeting feeling like I was just a fly on the wall. Yes, Nathan, the GOP needs energy, by the truckloads.

Both parties are shrinking and they know it. Sure, every now and then someone with a new face walks in, but we’ve reached a point in this country where the party that wins isn’t the one which draws more supporters; the party which wins is the one that just happens to lose fewer supporters between elections. Maybe I’m wrong, but no one who has been involved in politics (by involved, I mean, dedicated their entire lives to licking stamps and attending stump speeches) seems to be noticing, unless they’ve stepped back to look at the big picture.

I don’t mind helping out with local campaigns. I don’t even mind helping out with state campaigns, as long as they’re interested in pushing primary challengers (not a day goes by when PP front page posters aren’t posting something about ethics and the Gold Dome). Dump the wagon over and start over if that’s what it takes, and keep starting over until you get folks in there who don’t embarass the state.

You’ll probably lose us on the national level, though. I don’t have an ounce of interest in keeping Saxby or Johnny. I’ll do what I can to boot Sanford Bishop—even though most of the party leaders have given up on that one, it’s still important to those of us in D-2. As for the presidency, most of you know my stance on foreign policy. ~$500 billion x 4 more years = ~another $2 trillion and not a soul can answer where the money will come from or what we’re getting for it, other than apparently pissing off more people than we’ve ‘helped.’ Maybe this is that 20-25% that we don’t agree on. Keep supporting it if that’s what you’re sold on, but don’t expect us to.

• Joseph says:

sbd – where are you in the newly expanded 2nd CD, if I might ask… Even if you aren’t a delegate, I hope you will come to the District Convention in Americus on the 14th and participate – I know we can make you feel welcome there even if you received a lack-luster welcome in your county!

• seenbetrdayz says:

Peach. Like I said, the folks there were nice folks, but just didn’t seem to know how to react to newcomers. The county party has been growing rather slowly (more like stagnant) and I suppose it’s probably been a while since a stranger walked through the door. County convention went smoothly on the 10th, though, and the chairman was fair about things, in my opinion. I plan to go again to the next meeting; maybe they were just waiting to see if I would show up again.

• CobbGOPer says:

“…we’ve reached a point in this country where the party that wins isn’t the one which draws more supporters; the party which wins is the one that just happens to lose fewer supporters between elections.”

Actually, nowadays it’s more like the party that wins is the party that spends the most money. #’s of grassroots supporters makes no difference anymore when you spend $1 billion to get elected.

• seenbetrdayz says:

That’s true as well. They’re spending more money on a smaller proportion of voters. I imagine that one day, the last few people to remain in the parties will bear witness to the most fantastic, extravagant, and expensive circus they’ve ever seen.

6. joe says:

Aren’t you starting a little early with the “Support my guy cause he is not near as bad as their guy.” routine? Just yesterday you got Charlie to say “I frankly didn’t feel like being surrounded by fellow Republicans after yesterday.” about the Georgia Legislature.

I am probably stuck voting for your guy in November, OMG = Obama Must Go. But I will not enjoy the vote, and I will not be “with you” in the future. The GOP left me a long time ago.

7. debbie0040 says:

Nathan, where on earth did you hear the tea party is planning on taking over a district convention? That is news to me. I will be that the 10th district and in fact am on one of the committees. I think Brian Burdette is doing a fine job as District Chairman and am confident the convention will run in an orderly manner and will follow the rules and state call…

I have heard that some Ron Paul supporters will attempt to present a slate from Clarke County convention. They are going to claim that the convention was not recessed properly so they re-convened and elected a new slate of delegates to the district/state convention. The problem is they did not have the authority to re-convene the county convention. If they have issues with the way the county convention was run,then they need to follow the process in the GA GOP rules to contest it.

8. KD_fiscal conservative says:

Ron Paul’er aren’t the only ones aren’t sticking around. From what I have seen the last two years of closely following the Repub. clowns under the Gold Dome ‘work’, I don’t have the stomach for this mess any more and refuse to support the corruption, legislation introduced with the sole purpose of pandering, legislators passing bills with no concern for fiscal ‘soundness’, croney capitalism(see the latest tax bill), love of lobbyist’s bribes(ie “unlimited gifts”)……etc, etc.

I still support and work/fundraise for specific Repub. candiates that I like, but I will not send a PENNY to the GA-GOP as a whole. Not anything person against the members of the organization, but the Repub. state legislators as a whole aren’t worth supporting.

Personally, I hope the Dems do better at the state level(not so much at the Federal level) to counter balance the pesudo-democratic one party rule of our state.

I agree with Charlie’s seniment, that this is not a good time to be a GA Repub.

• ted in bed says:

+1,000.

The Gold Dome “work”also included trying to give special rights for the son of a Legislator. SB493 was framed as a pro-military gun bill, when in fact it benefited a rare bird: a service member who got a short enlistment and got out before 21 years old.

I’m not contributing or volunteering on any of the campaigns of the Tom Murphy Republicans under the Gold Dome.

9. Doug Grammer says:

Agreeing on 75 to 80% of the issues in not a Rino. 49% or less running as a Republican because they can’t get elected otherwise is a Rino. Another definition of a Rino is people who show up just for one candidate, and when that candidate doesn’t win, they go home. That’s a Rino because they believe in one candidate and not in the will of the rest of the voters in a primary.

When they say none of the candidates are as good as their candidate, they have failed to realize they hold a minority opinion. Debating on who the best candidate for the GOP is after the primary vote is a waste of time.

Primaries decide on who best represents the party. If your candidate doesn’t win, you hold a minority opinion on who the best candidate is. If your candidate can’t win the nomination, then there’s something that doesn’t appeal to everyone else, or other candidates are just better. Either way, it’s over. I voted for Newt. I don’t expect to see him as the nominee, but the convention isn’t here yet. I plan on voting for the GOP nominee whomever it will be.

This will be a shock, but I don’t agree with the GOP 100% of the time. That’s why I have worked for decades to get to a position that I could help write fair(er) rules. It’s still not perfect, but I practice what Nathan is preaching. I’ve worked my way up to make things better and I have tried to change things from the inside. The state party puts on great training for people running for state legislature offices. Two out of the last three election cycles I helped organize training for people running for county level offices. In a few weeks, details will be coming out for 2012.

Ron Paul supporters, only you can decide if you are a Republican or a Rino. I really did not care for Ray McBerry, and I did not care one way or another about Otis Putnam. However, when I communicated with gubernatorial campaigns I gave them all them the same information at once. There are a few people who supported McBerry that have stuck around. They are working in other campaigns and trying to change things. You know who you are and you have my respect for doing so, even if we didn’t agree on a candidate, we agreed on at least 75%.

• Dave Bearse says:

‘cuz nothing says you’re working on the inside like parroting the party line on the outside.

• seenbetrdayz says:

So, basically, a true republican is someone who may hold strong to principled, though unpopular, beliefs, except whenever they are outnumbered by hordes of people who believe something else and then they’re like, “okay whatever. let’s just go with that.” Except those people who believe in something else don’t really believe in it, they just want to unite behind someone they don’t like (Romney), so that they can win against someone they really don’t like (Obama). So everyone’s basically just going around in circles trying to figure out who everyone else supports so that they can make a decision on who they should support.

But a Rino is someone who knows what they stand for, from start to finish.

Well, no wonder. Now I understand.

• Doug Grammer says:

They don’t say “okay whatever. let’s just go with that.”

It’s more like: “We tried our best in this one race, and came up short. I agreed with my candidate 95% of the time. I may not like it, but let’s circle the wagons around another candidate I agree with 85% of the time to beat someone I agree with 35% of the time.” (insert correct percentages as needed.) They THEN say: “There is more work to be done; who will we back in this other race? Do we need to recruit someone? Does one of us need to run if we aren’t happy with our choices?” The only time it matters on who everyone else supports is when you are counting votes. Feel free to cast your ballot for who you want in the primary and if you feel strongly enough, try to get others to do the same.

No one candidate is perfect. No sane person is going to agree with anyone 100%. A rino is someone who cries when they don’t get their way and goes home, or a rino is someone who says they are Republican only to get elected.

A cult member is someone who knows who they support no matter what pesky facts may get in the way. A cult member is not concerned about any political party, but only on how to advance his or her cult leader.

Let me know when you understand.

• seenbetrdayz says:

I really don’t understand why you have an opinion. A blind man could read your comments on here and clearly see that every election cycle you end up just going with whatever, so, seriously, why bother? You sir, are the most loyal member the GOP has, and if that loyalty actually did anything to shrink the size of government, they’d rip the gold dome off the Georgia capitol building and erect a statue of you in its place.

But it doesn’t. Your “reward” for going along with whatever (yes, that’s what you do) has been, for the past several republican “victories”, that you end up with a candidate who makes a mockery of your party, and the democrats hand your [self-edited] to you, after the defunct leaders you put in power not only reneg on their promises, but end up pissing off people in your own party.

If you want to go along with Romney for the sake of unity, go right ahead. But I’ll go into neurogenic shock if somehow he wins and doesn’t end up blowing the roof off of the government spending increases, in much the same way that Bush, Jr. made Clinton look like a fiscal genius.

I’ll give it to you sir, you know how to win, and I’ll grant you that’s something Ron Paul could stand to learn. But you don’t have a clue as to how to make your victories actually mean something.

• Doug Grammer says:

If you prefer President Obama, to President Romney, President Santorum, or President Gingrich, I understand. If they are going to take the gold off of the dome, I don’t need any statues. Use it to pay down the federal debt.

Every election cycle, I pick candidates and push them. I don’t restrict myself to one race. I don’t always do that openly, because if I am in a party position, I m not supposed to use that position to take sides. Who I go door to door for or put yard signs up for is my business, but I NEVER say “OK, whatever, I’ll go along with that.” I WORK to put forth who I think are the best candidates, harder than most people, I would wager.

Ron Paul has been elected to congress many times more than I have. However, if I got there, I would get more legislation passed than he has over his entire career. It’s easy to be an absolutist and say “no, no, no.” It states a statesman to be able to compromise and get things actually accomplished for his constituents. However, they should not compromise on core vales. Think about everything a President Paul would want to accomplish. Now are you more or less likely to get that with President Obama? Unless you are talking about Rand, President Paul will never happen.

• seenbetrdayz says:

I’m sure you could accomplish a lot. Let’s see:

Introduce a bill to increase the debt, it will pass near unanimously.

Introduce a bill to deny the accused a trial by jury, it will pass near unanimously.

Introduce a bill to increase regulation of firearms, it will pass near unanimously.

Spying on Americans: done.

Bailouts: done.

Anything that gives more power to the few in Washington gets passed without a whimper.

You’d better damn well start paying attention to* what is actually getting accomplished* by those who are “effective” at getting stuff done in Washington, rather than merely judging your candidates on their ability to get things done. Instead of looking on Ron Paul with disdain for being the “no no no” candidate, you should be working to find out why everyone else isn’t saying, “no no no” and kicking them out, instead of rallying around them every single election.

They’ll get stuff done alright, but I don’t know how many more “effective statesmen” this country can suffer.

When I read your comments on here, I keep visualizing a dog who goes back to lick its master’s hand after being kicked across the yard by that same master.

You’re absolutely right, I don’t understand it. I can’t think of anything that excuses your loyalty to those who keep screwing you over.

• Doug Grammer says:

When I read your comments on here, I think of a kid throwing rocks at anything doesn’t match what he has in mind.

How many bills has Ron Paul passed in his entire service in DC? If he can’t get anyone to agree with his legislation as a congressman, how do you think he will fare any better as President? You don’t think that getting 80% or even 65% of what you want is better than getting 0% of what you want? Am I to believe that you think Ron Paul is the only person out of 535 members of congress who is right? Am I to believe that you think Ron Paul is right 100% of the time?

There are plenty of bills passed by Republicans that I disagree with. They are still preferable to the alternative.

• seenbetrdayz says:

Someone you agree with 85% of the time turns into 60% turns into 45% turns into 30% 15 . . .10, 5.

You wanna fight over scraps? Because that’s where you’re headed. (actually, it’s where you already are, and the Democrats are there as well)

WAKE UP!

Or at least get out of the way.

I swear to God, you do this **** every election. Every. ****ing. Election.

And we wonder why we’re scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to politicians.

Seenbetrdayz,

I notice you didn’t answer a single question I asked. I really want to know what you think.

I am fully awake. I’m not a dreamer who thinks they can get 100% of what they want.

I do act in every single election. EVERY. ONE. and , “No.” I’m not moving an inch. NOT. ONE. SINGLE. INCH.

The reason most people don’t offer themselves for public office is that they don’t want to be under a microscope and they know that no matter what they do, someone will be mad at them.

• CobbGOPer says:

I would be very careful of judging a congressman’s effectiveness based on the volume of legislation they’ve passed. Oftentimes doing nothing is the best and right course of action, something members of Congress – and grassroots activists – forget. Just because a bill is proposed by a Republican doesn’t automatically make it preferable to the alternative. Only partisans speak like that.

But then who cares what Doug thinks, his goal is to be in the senior GAGOP leadership one day anyway, so he will defend the status quo and continue to play down any forces that attempt to upset that, such as the Tea Party or Paulistas.

• Doug Grammer says:

If we went with your theory of what most of what has been passed is bad, how many laws has Ron Paul had repealed?

I’ve already been in Senior GOP leadership, and more than once. I may or may not go back to the GA GOP EC. I say what’s on my mind because it’s what I think. Let the chips fall where they may. If you don’t care what I think, why are you commenting on it?

BTW, can you show me where I have EVER said anything about the TEA Party in a non-favorable way? Sure, they have some bad members here and there, but so does the GOP, and every other organization with more than 100 members.

Okay, seriously?

So, logic of D. G.:

“Ron Paul has never managed to push successful legislation to reduce the scope of Federal Government. So, I will support the candidate who will increase government with successful legislation.”

It would be one thing if you were arguing that your candidate is not perfect in that he will only reduce government a little bit, while I am expecting way too much. You might have a darn valid point there. *IF* that were the situation.

But those ARE NOT your options, especially with Mitt Romney.

You aren’t claiming ‘imperfection’ as justification for your decision. You’re looking for the candidate who is the least damaging. There’s a difference. You don’t see it? You guys have been doing this crap in the GOP for decades and look around you at where this country is at. You let neoconservatives hijack your party and look where your party is at. You’ve split off into 4 different directions and most of your members can’t even tell you why they support who they support, and that’s if they’ve decided yet, or if they’re just going to vote for whatever is still floating in the toilet after the flush.

Let me tell you what is going to happen, Doug, based on what has happened in the past, and is very unlikely to change if the GOP is filled with folks such as yourself.

Obama is *not* going to be the worst president we’ve ever had (oh noes!!!). The current TREND is that each president, in either party, which we have elected has been slightly, if not horribly, worse than the one preceeding. SO, what is GOING TO HAPPEN, (AGAIN!!!!, even if you choose to ignore it), is that you are going to SETTLE for a lousy president. He’s going to leave a FOUL TASTE in the American voters’ mouths, and you’re going to GET BOOTED from power (AGAIN!!!). There will be a president WORSE than Obama. You will then LOWER YOUR STANDARDS (AGAIN!!!!), when you decide on a president to represent your party (if these two sh**ty parties aren’t extinct by then, I can only dream!), who you might agree with 0.22% percent of the time to run against someone you agree with only 0.001% of the time. Fan-tastic!

I’m telling you man, the people who have never been involved in politics until now are SICK of this ****. You’re like a puppy getting thrown out of a moving car, only to follow the scent of the car back home.

But of course, I’ve been tied to the rear bumper during this road trip from hell, along with the rest of the folks who don’t vote because people like you get in the way, while democrats and republicans have been fighting over the steering wheel. I mean, there’s not much at this point that you could say to scare me. A second term from Obama? Hell, that’s like a 4th term for Bush, anyway.

And I’ve already answered your dumb questions. Try clicking on the PP archives. I’m not going to waste my time giving you repeated answers you don’t really care about.

Really it isn’t about Ron Paul, hell, he’s not running again after this. I’m trying to figure out what it will take for you to start fighting for what you believe in. And by fighting, I don’t mean, going with the flow. When you stand up in a room full of 434 people and have the guts to be the only one to vote no, then you can talk about struggles. Or maybe you try to be a delegate for a candidate (of your choice) against all odds because you know it’s your last best shot to hang on tightly to what you believe in. “Lost causes are the only ones worth fighting for” right?

Fu*K Ron Paul. Why? Because after Ron Paul is gone, we’ll still have a $17 trillion dollar debt that I’m more than happy to forward you the bill for, since you spent so many glorious years in the GOP and that’s the most you have to show for it. Enjoy it, ’cause I’ll be damned if I’m gonna pay for your mess.

• Doug Grammer says:

Let’s start this off correctly. Ron Paul has never pushed any successful legislation, no matter what the subject.

You are still angry and throwing rocks at anything that doesn’t meet your standards. You still don’t understand that 90% of the GOP doesn’t agree with you on your choice for candidate. You can cry like a baby that we are all wrong in our choices, but it’s still not going to change the fact that your guy isn’t going to win.

I have never said that President Obama is the worst President. He is the worst of our current valid choices, but he’s not the worst President ever. Most of your rant is more crying. How about trying to grow up and learn that you don’t always get what you want? I’m not trying to scare you. I’m trying to hand you a big nice glass of reality. Drink deeply.

I’m not planning on going to Tampa, but I will attend district and state to make sure that the right people go. I doubt that you will be going unless it’s as a guest. I fight for what I believe in far more than you do. I don’t only show up every four years and cry when I don’t get my way. Lost causes are not worth fighting for. Causes you can win are worth fighting for.

It seems like you have lost it. Enjoy living on the commune. If you realize how things are, quit crying like a baby, and you want to work, eventually you might be able to do some good. It’s not going to happen overnight. I predict you will just sit on the sidelines and throw rocks at anyone trying to change things.

• seenbetrdayz says:

I already KNOW how things are. I KNOW how politics works. Most importantly, I see exactly what it’s done to this country. Why do you think I bothered to show up at all? Do you think I just woke up one day and said, “man, it sure does look like a fine time to join the Republican party. Stick one of those silly red elephants on my shirt and tell me who to vote for”?

You’ve got people leaving this sinking ship of a political system. I practially got run-over by fed-up escapees on my way through the door. If you want to criticize me for anything, start with the fact that I’ve got horrible timing.

You are completely incapable of hearing someone tell you “no.” It’s been *YOU* who has been getting exactly what you want, and now that people are coming into your party with the passion to change things, your response is to have them sit in the back and shut up, so you can sit behind a desk and continue to rubber-stamp everything your party does, instead of holding your politicians accountable, which is what you SHOULD be doing if you hold any sort of leadership position within the party. Remember, if they screw it up, you lose! Accountability is something both parties are lacking, and its because people like you don’t seem to have the guts to call up your critters and tell them that they made a error and how they should correct it. Instead, you’re nothing more than a partisan hack and you’ll defend people whose feet should actually be *in the fire* by now, not just held to it. We’re way beyond that.

You think I’m mad because I don’t get what I want? No. I’m mad because you keep putting idiots in power and turning a blind eye to the damage they’re doing (although they’re smart enough to keep pulling the wool over your eyes, so, maybe I don’t give them enough credit.). Throwing rocks? I’m ready to throw boulders.

You don’t think I’m working. How often have you shown up on a college campus and tried to get people involved who never even voted in their lives, and for the GOP no less!!? Your idea of “work” is preaching to the base. Don’t break a sweat, now, while encouraging people to do things they were going to do anyway. It must be back-breaking labor for you.

My idea of work is trying to get people who are fed up with their so-called options to come in and clean house. It’s a hell of a lot harder to do, but a hell of a lot more rewarding.

I really don’t know if there’s much point in talking to you. It’s obvious that you are so caught up in winning, that you could care less about *what* you are “winning.” If you entered a contest and won the chance to have someone stick dozens of fish-hooks in your eyeballs, I bet you’d start dancing for joy. Really, I think *you* have “lost it”.

• Doug Grammer says:

You = glass is always half empty. Me = glass half full.

I’ve had people tell me I should resign for not recruiting someone to run against Sen. Isakson. That’s not my job, and it wasn‘t that when I was on the Georgia GOP EC. It’s very easy to point the finger at the GOP leadership and blame them for not producing the perfect candidate. Would you rather have had Thurmond? Those were the only two candidates that had a chance of winning.

In 1988, I joined the Dalton College Republicans. In 1993, I was Chairman of the UTC College Republicans and the Treasurer of the Tennessee College Republicans. I imagine I’ve sat at about 30 different college campuses running a recruitment table. I also did a canvas of UTC by knocking on the door of every single dorm room on that campus. I think that number was around 650 doors?

I’ve ran booths at public events trying to get people to stop and learn about the local GOP many times. If you think I’ve never knocked on an independents door and tried to get them to vote GOP, you simply don’t know what you are talking about. I’ve knocked on Dems doors as well.

I am more than happy to compare what I’ve done for the GOP with what you have done. You can go first. Give us your long lists of projects you’ve worked on, money given, training provided, gas spent in your car promoting the GOP, and anything else you think is relevant..

No, I don’t just sing to the choir. Do you have any other assumptions you want to make about me?

• seenbetrdayz says:

You’ve got me there. I haven’t spent nearly as much time trying to promote the GOP as you have.

You are a partisan hack. There’s no point in going any further. All I have to do is wait for you to keep screwing up like you guys do every election and it makes my job of trying to explain to people whether or not we should even give the Federal government powers for Democrats and Republicans to fight over, or if we’d be better off reducing those powers and letting people decide on what form of governments they want at local and state levels.

What I just described used to be the philosophy of the GOP: Local control. Hell even democrats went along with that during the Reagan campaign because they were getting tired of Republicans telling them what to do from Washington, D.C., as well. It was a win-win for everybody. It’s still a good message, but I hate to break it to you: Romney isn’t going to deliver it.

• Doug Grammer says:

However flawed Gov. Romney may be, he is still better than President Obama. Ron Paul isn’t going to get nominated for President, let alone win the nomination.

I once helped write a strong resolution condemning Speaker RIchardson’s actions and we sent that to the Speaker’s hometown newspaper so everyone in his hometown would know what we thought of him. Don’t presume you know me, or what I have done. I have probably held more Republicans feet the fire than you have. I don’t see myself as a hack, but more of a citzen activist.

Let me know when you have done more to hold Republicans accountable other than posting on pp.

• The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

“No one candidate is perfect.”

How very true. If someone gets into or follows politics looking for the *perfect* candidate they are definitely looking in the WRONG place.

Politics by its nature is full of people who are inherently flawed (often deeply flawed).

As they say, “Politics is Hollywood for ugly people”.

10. Harry says:

And let’s not forget that on the final day, even prominent Democrats appeared to be in cahoots with developers and such. For example, Smyrna Democrat Thompson who verbalized a pretense of high-minded “anti-bank” indignation when favored developers didn’t get special treatment – at least Don B had the sense to keep quiet.

• The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

Democrats were in cahoots with real estate developers and big business long before Republican control of anything in Georgia was a serious thought or even a remote possibility.

The ‘Crats were the ORIGINAL party of big business before the Repubs were even a gleam in Georgia voters’ collective eye.

Democrats like Senator Thompson are doing nothing more than serving as placeholders and keeping the seat warm until those much hoped for demographic changes kick in for the ‘Crats and they can get back in power and once again be the preferred choice of highly-paid lobbyists and their powerful corporate masters.

Why do you think that the Dems are really raising too much of a stink over the GOP’s notorious ethical transgressions? Because they’re too busy plotting their own takeover and return to power on the strength of a potential demographic tide of increasing Black and Latino voters, despite how improbable that may actually seem at the moment.

11. CobbGOPer says:

Attention Ron Paul and Tea Party Voters:

The GOP is not interested in changing for you. They keep telling you to ‘work from the inside’ because then they can exert control over you. They will bog you down with party bureaucracy and scold you if you complain.

You will be more effective – and happier – if you form your own party structures. The GOP – in this state at least – only exists to serve Georgia Power (and themselves). Just like the Democrat Party.

12. cheapseats says:

I’m not a Ron Paul supporter. I don’t like the current POTUS all that much but I don’t see any of the Republican candidates as being any better for the country – just different on some issues. I’ve never been a single-issue voter. But, none of this is what is really important in the discussion of “my party can beat up your party”.

The biggest threat to the current party in charge of our long-standing tradition of “single-party rule” is that the party system is so deeply entrenched that the only place for people to go who want to get involved is with one of those two parties. That means that whomever is dominant at any given time is going to attract a lot of people. This is the important thing – it doesn’t mean that the Republicans are attracting a lot of “true Republicans” any more than the Democrats used to attract a lot of true believers when they were in power. That’s why we saw so many of the same people just switch jerseys from a blue one to a red one. Same people, same ideas, same beliefs – different color.

So, giving moderate and largely independent voters no chance to choose anybody but whomever the Republicans decide to throw out there, you get a lot of Republican voters who are holding their noses and hoping for something better to come along. These folks do not count as Republicans – they’ll switch again as soon as they’re offered a better choice. It was always exactly the same when the Dems were in charge.

I had great hopes for the Tea Party until they got all caught up in the “social conservative” stuff – abortion, gays, etc. I want government to stay out of people’s personal lives as much as possible. I don’t want tax shifts like we just saw under the Gold Dome – pretending to lower people’s taxes when all they do is shift the taxes from state to local; Congress does it, too. Bloated military spending does not equal patriotism; incarcerating people for petty personal crimes does not make us safer or more free; viewing compromise as weakness is idiotic and childish; but, the worst of all is simply continuing the lunacy of thinking that one party must win and the other party must lose.

When political parties win, citizens lose. It’s hard for me to see anybody who is working on behalf of any political party as someone who is really interested in the welfare of this state or this country.

• Engineer says:

Nicely stated. I too had high hopes for the Tea Party movement and even went to a couple protests. When it was a group wanting stuff done about fiscal policy, I was all for it but then they got swept up by the social conservatives and it quickly morphed into just another neocon branch of the GOP.

• CobbGOPer says:

“…they got swept up by the social conservatives and it quickly morphed into just another neocon branch of the GOP.”

Which is exactly what the GOP wanted (to be fair, the Democrats did the same thing to the Occupy movement). They want these groups to enter the ‘big tent’, because as I said earlier, they can then exert more influence and control on these ‘new’ members, wearing them down until they toe the party line or quit in frustration. They do this to shield themselves from primary challenges and maintain control of party finances.

Working within the entrenched parties is fruitless. They are only interested in perpetuating their own power and growth. Third parties must find and hold a place at the political table in this country if we are to break out of this vicious cycle of Republican-Democrat rule.

• Harry says:

You may as well save the trouble to vote. Third parties have no future. To the contrary, in the next generation the US will likely become one-party and there will be internal party fights and purges as in China.

• debbie0040 says:

Tea parties are autonomous and each decides what issues they are going to address. You just made the BIG mistake of thinking that if one tea party addresses certain issues, then they all do . That is absolutely not true. You just painted all tea parties with the same broad brush and that is a mistake. Any group can form and call themselves a tea party. You cannot prevent someone from using tea party in their name.

Tea Party Patriots does not address social issues in any way, but we do not tell tea parties affiliated with us that they cannot address social issues. A gay man and his partner started a tea party in the D.C. area and they have one of the most active tea parties in the entire beltway area. Atlanta Tea Party never has addressed social issues and we have members that are gay, straight, pro life and pro choice. The overwhelming majority of our members are social conservatives and they are involved with other groups that address social issues. Most of the tea parties here in Georgia do not address social issues either.

13. Doug Grammer says:

District Conventions are over, and at a quick glance, less than 10% of the alternates and 5% of the GA delegates selected so far will be in favor of Ron Paul.

• seenbetrdayz says:

November ain’t here yet, bud. You guys are breaking your backs to beat Ron Paul, for a chance to throw a soft-ball for Obama to knock out of the park (Romney won’t win; he’s flipped-flopped too much and Obama will have about $1 billion to pay for ads to continuously remind Americans of that fact until election day)

• Doug Grammer says:

At least Romney hasn’t made a million dollars off of a newsletter with his name on it full of racist comments. I’m ready.

• seenbetrdayz says:

If you could see the diversity of the people who showed up to support him in the 2nd, you’d shut up about those stupid newsletters. A small fraction of those newsletter articles contained racist entries, so the claim is unfounded that ‘Ron Paul made a million dollars because of racist comments’. If Ron Paul is guilty of anything regarding the matter, it was entrusting the newsletters to a careless manager, while he went back to practice medicine.

Then again, maybe you wouldn’t shut up. I really don’t think you care about the truth regarding the matter. You just keep spewing what you think damages his credibility, and yet, his support is growing regardless.

The more Ron Paul gets attacked, the more people get curious, give him an honest look, and eventually support him.

Here’s a former Santorum supporter who “had to see it to believe it”.

• Doug Grammer says:

I didn’t say he made a million becuase of racist comments. I said he made a million off of a newsletter that contained racist comments and carried his name.

• seenbetrdayz says:

So at first it was ‘full’ of racist comments. Now it just ‘contains’ racist comments. (In truth, it was like a dozen or less sentences out of years of publications)

I tell you, your attacks don’t seem to damage Ron Paul’s credibility as much as they incite voter curiosity. Then people look up the story for themselves, determine that he made a mistake, and, well, what else you got?

I believe just a few weeks ago, you were making mention of how it’s hard to find folks to run for office because people hold them under a microscope.

So, do you want to be the pot, or the kettle, in our relationship?

• Doug Grammer says:

If a murderer saves a life, does that make him any less of a murderer? Nope, I’m not shutting up about the newsletters. The man can’t manage a newsletter but wants to run the country?

• seenbetrdayz says:

Please don’t shut up about the newsletters, or anything related to Ron Paul, for that matter.

It’s almost ironic how, the more he gets attacked, the more people look at him with the sort of open mind which you clearly do not possess. You all should have stuck with just ignoring him, but it’s too late. People want to know what it is that makes the GOP establishment dislike one of its longest-serving congressmen, and they’re just not seeing the same faults you are apparently fixated on. They look at the GOP’s [alleged] platform of limited government, then look at Ron Paul’s positions, and can’t for the life of them figure out why he’s the option that the GOP absolutely does *not* want folks to have.

Hell, you people who oppose him are actually doing a better job of growing his support than I can.

Let me just say,

Thanks, Doug!

• Doug Grammer says:

“I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal.”

“We are constantly told that it is evil to be afraid of black men, it is hardly irrational.”

“Order was only restored in L.A. when it came time for the blacks to pick up their welfare checks”

• Doug Grammer says:

People ARE seeing the same faults I see. That’s part of the reason he hasn’t and will NEVER break 10%.

• Engineer says:

Actually Doug, I don’t believe they are seeing anything, and that that is the real reason. When you rarely receive more than 10% the media attention that certain “mainstream” candidates receive, then it really isn’t surprising.

Quite a few people I’ve spoken to (when politics comes up in discussion) have admitted that they’ve never heard of Paul or that they know nothing about him other than that he’s a candidate.

• Jimmie says:

The main reason he doesn’t always break 10% besides GOP Chair Fraud is the gop party slandered him from the get go. (combined with foxtard news, CNN, and Left). Politicians like Dr.. Paul frighten party people like you. Paul is not the “Team Player” that Santorum is. Nor is he the “Historian Advisor to Lobbyist” that the newt is. He surely is not in the back pocket of the Federal Reserve bankers either like the Goldman Sachs Certfied Mitt. The #1 thing that drew me to Paul was his resistance to all the above. I believe it’s called Principles. If you have no idea what they are, then it’s understandable you do not get the Ron Paul cult thing. Make no mistake about it. I will NOT be voting for Obama. Just having trouble tossing my principles and voting for more of the same though.

• Doug Grammer says:

Oh bull ….. He’s been in the debates and the people who wanted to learn about him got thier chance . They (90%) don’t care for him and he didn’t come up with a message to move them. I’m sick of hearing about he wasn’t given a fair shake . There have been a few incidents here and there, but for the most part, he lost….fair and square. He’s had his shot and didn’t make it. Get over it .

• Jimmie says:

Even Newt, the GA messiah agrees the Media has been pro Mitt. Of course they were. That is par for the course. Control the media, control the spin. The other thing that worries me about Mitt is his team has sheltered him the whole primary. He had one, National one on one interview (Bret Baier), that I can remember and he nearly lost it. Will his people be able to shelter him from the Alphabet media in the G.E.? Doug, seriously. RP got 90 secs in the one debate. Several others he was skipped over. CNN repeatedly edited his interviews to make him appear like he dodged your repetitive Newsletter questions. He answered CNN’s same questions thoroughly in 08 and again numerous times in 2012. I have a couple friends who were dedicated Newt and Rick supporters. I told them early on that Mitt was the candidate. Once the Banks started bank rolling him the decision was made. This isn’t news to you though. It appears you more than anyone, knows how the game is played.

• Doug Grammer says:

I will agree that most of the guys who write big checks lined up behind Mitt. However, there were at least 10 debates. If Ron Paul didn’t maximize his opportunities, that’s how the game is played. He pitched his platform and most people said no thank you.

• The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

Despite the fact that Obama has competitive poll numbers in light of a struggling economy (which he has done very little to help) with very high unemployment, an underwater real estate market and a 16 trillion-dollar national debt, I wouldn’t mark Obama down for re-election to a second term just yet.

There is still nearly seven months until the general election and a lot of variables (high gas prices, Iran, European financial crisis, a very soft and fragile U.S. economy, etc) that can swing the election either towards or away from Obama.

And many of the reports that I’ve been hearing say that Obama is having some degree of difficulty raising money and will likely not even come close to the $1 billion that they so arrogantly claimed they would have on hand for the general election.

Many of the sources that Obama raised so much money from to the tune of over $700 million in ’08, sources like Wall Street and corporate America, are going for the guy that they know will be much more business-friendly, which is Romney.

Romney is anything but a softball for Obama, in fact, Romney is the worst possible matchup for Obama in the general election, a guy that has an excellent chance of becoming the 45th President of these United States of America, IF he plays his cards right by hammering Obama on his dismal economic record.

• Rambler1414 says:

“You guys are breaking your backs to beat Ron Paul.”

No backs have to be broken to beat Ron Paul.
            All you have to do is listen to the voters. Has the dude won a single state yet?

• Jimmie says:

Has there been a legitimate Primary or Caucus yet? The GOP Nomination has been a charade from the beginning this cycle. Starting right from the Iowa Caucus.

• registrar says:

I took a quick glance too, and I recognize about 25% of the names on the elected slates as Paul supporters. Which must be tickling Sue Everhart poop-less.

14. Jimmie says:

Half the GOP has had to convince themselves that Romney is the “one”. I am very confident that he will not beat Obama. It is unfortunate too, cause I absolutely despise what Obama has become and what his administration is trying to do to our Country. I ask all the sheep of the GOP that are hoping for the best with Romney as the candidate….Other than being an Anyone But Obama…What does Mitt pledge that will reduce the out of control debt and Government spending? End the illegal wars? Uphold and defend the Constitution? Sorry people, I just don’t see it, and I’m tired of voting for Goldman Sachs certified candidates. We keep making the same mistakes every 2 to 4 years.

• The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

Well I don’t know if too many in the GOP are necessarily absolutely convinced that Romney is the “one” in the mold of a Ronald Reagan or such at this point, though it is still very early in the campaign season.

I’m just saying that Obama has a lot of liabilities and some very high negatives that can be exploited during the course of a campaign season.

With nearly seven months until Election Day it is way too early for those who aren’t necessarily all that enchanted with Obama’s job performance to throw in the towel.

At this point in the campaign all that Romney’s supporters can really do is hope for the best as no one can necessarily definitively say which way things will go against an incumbent President that is known to have a few tricks up his sleeve.

It is well-documented at this point about the negatives that Romney and the GOP has with women and Hispanics and that could be a problem for them during the election.

But it must also be noted that Obama has very high negatives with independent voters at this point in the campaign, very high negatives that are a very big liability to his re-election prospects.

Romney can and will win if he highlights his own success as a business man who specializes in turning around troubled enterprises and runs a tough (very tough) and discipined campaign that focuses Obama’s obvious liabilities with the economy.

• The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

Though it should be noted that Romney and the GOP may have been given a very positive opening with women after Hillary Rosen’s attack on Ann Romney last week.

15. Calypso says:

“I ask all the sheep of the GOP that are hoping for the best with Romney as the candidate….Other than being an Anyone But Obama…What does Mitt pledge that will reduce the out of control debt and Government spending? End the illegal wars? Uphold and defend the Constitution?”

If your ultimate desire is to remove Obama, the issue you raise is, at best, penultimate.

• Looner says:

The goal is to change the GOP. And it will change both by conversion of the best and brightest (most likely you won’t make the cut, sorry) and the injection of new blood.