Morning Reads for Wednesday, March 21

Here in Georgia:

National stories of interest:

Links I like:

1. Calypso says:

“The NYT is reducing the number of free online articles non-subscribers can access per month from 20 to 10.”

In a similar move, to reduce the number of posts certain folks are making on Peach Pundit, Charlie is limiting the number of characters per month one may post. I don’t understand how he can determi

2. Cassandra says:

The OB/GYN Society’s HQ was burglarized and the only thing taken was the Exec Director’s computer.

Perhaps the scariest story of the MONTH.

3. CobbGOPer says:

And I’m sure Jared Thomas’ consulting business is in no way connected to the pro-TSPLOST PR campaign. Not in any way. Un-possible.

• CobbGOPer says:

OK then: I’m not interested in the opinion of someone who was likely paid to support the measure. Better for you?

• CobbGOPer says:

He now is “CEO” (whatever that means in a two-man outfit) of a group called Concentric Direct, LLC. They do political and pr consulting.

I do not know if they are involved in the T-SPLOST PR push. It would not surprise me if they were, though.

I still discount anything Jared Thomas says, regardless. That kid tried to foist Ralph Reed on this state, and for that he is forever suspect in my eyes…

• Engineer says:

Ad hominem circumstantial points out that someone is in circumstances such that he is disposed to take a particular position. Ad hominem circumstantial constitutes an attack on the bias of a source.
          -Thanks Wikipedia!

I don’t know the guy, so I have no idea what kind of person he is or what he may or may not have done in the past and yes, I understand your argument, but I’m just saying you ignored the context of the article, which I felt gave a strong argument with valid points in favor of T-SPLOST. I dunno, it feels like you’re writing it off only because of the author.

4. Engineer says:

I find it hard to believe that Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” Law covers somebody that follows and chases down an unarmed kid walking home and kills him.

• The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

It doesn’t, though with Florida being Florida, of course the law has been repeatedly misapplied in multiple cases.

But that still doesn’t change the fact that the “Stand Your Ground” law is a damn good law in LEGITIMATE self-defense shooting cases.

• Andre says:

I agree with Engineer.

The “Stand Your Ground” law is designed to protect law-abiding citizens who had to use force in the defense of themselves, their home, or their property from criminal and civil liabilities.

I’m adopting a “wait-and-see” attitude regarding the Trayvon Martin incident. I think in that case, it all boils down to the question of who was the aggressor. If Trayvon was the aggressor, then George Zimmerman was acting in self-defense. However, if Zimmerman was the aggressor, then he should be prosecuted.

This is a complicated case that a lot of people are over-simplifying to suit their needs.

• wicker says:

It doesn’t. This case has nothing to do with gun control either, as Zimmerman is a legal owner with a clean (due to it being expunged) record. Though Zimmerman did call Trayvon Martin “a (expletive) coon” on the 911 tapes – which explains why police department resisted releasing them – the main issues that this case should raise should be the ethics of the law enforcement in Sanford.

P.S. I hate that Al Sharpton is involved, but it isn’t like Herman Cain, Tom Sowell, Star Parker etc. would have done anything to put pressure on the Sanford law enforcement to release the 911 tapes …

• KD_fiscal conservative says:

This is one of this rare, clear cases of injustice. But considering the likes of the NAACP, Sharpton, Jackson…etc want to turn every little thing into a case of racism it dimishes the serverity of something major like a unarmed getting killed walking home. It’s like the boy who cried wolf…..