Let students and teachers carry guns on campus

This post was written and submitted by Dr. Jeff Edgens. Dr. Edgens is a former college dean and an At-Large Representative for the Libertarian Party of Georgia.

Colorado’s highest court has ruled that licensed students may legally carry firearms on a college campus. I say, what is good enough for Coloradans is good enough for Georgians.

It appears, Atlanta lawmakers have a similar idea in mind, but SB 102 doesn’t go far enough. Where Colorado provides legal carry on campus, SB 102 only allows a teacher or a student to have a firearm in the car as long as its locked away. Lawmakers in Georgia need to understand my life is just as important to me on campus as it is off campus and equally important to that of someone living in Colorado.

Indeed, a concealed carry permit holder can legally carry into stores, and anywhere else provided by law. A permit holder can protect themselves and their family inside and outside of the home. A permit holder can stand their ground when someone is trying to kill them or someone else.

Personal protection, therefore, is an individual responsibility. Long established court rulings show that law enforcement has no duty to protect a person. Individuals are the their own best line of defense.

Students in Georgia know better than university bureaucrats — and have taken to social media pages to raise awareness for self-protection on campus. Students understand that a no gun zone equals a victim disarmament zone. Such an area is a threat to their own personal safety.

In fact, students at the Appalachian School of Law stopped an active shooter, but not until he had killed the dean. Students at that one school in Virginia stopped a situation from becoming worse, but employees and students at another college were not as fortunate.

We all remember that horrible day at Virginia Tech. Authorities knew of a threat to campus and that this shooter had killed others, but the employees and students were at the mercy of university leaders to report the threat. They did not until it was too late.

Everyone followed the public safety script — but the shooter. He refused to cooperate with the gun free zone or with the laws making murder illegal. He acted alone and in his own irrational way. Universities,indeed, are victim disarmament zones.

Surely, though, parents, students and university employees would be protected by the university and by outside law enforcement authorities. College officials would not allow employees and students to be unduly harmed. But, let’s be clear, no one can protect you as well as you can protect yourself.

Virginia Tech can ban guns on campus, but cannot guarantee the safety of their employees and students. Today, Virginia Tech is being sued in a wrongful death case by the parents of some of the students killed on that tragic day. Virginia Tech is fighting the court case and denying any responsibility.

Sure, colleges can put in more metal detectors, add roving armed guards throughout campus, and paint the illusion the academic community is safe, but they cannot guarantee safety. It should be known that all the active shooter drills on a college campus will not prevent a determined shooter from causing mayhem and death before SWAT teams arrive. Explain to the victims and their families why not being armed is a good thing.

As a college teacher the best strategy I have to defend myself and my students is to throw a trash can at a shooter, cower under our desks and hope we’re not the ones selected for extermination. Pathetic.

I worry more about what happens when an active shooter walks onto my campus, than I do anything else. The powers that be figure disarming me suffices, but that only leaves me vulnerable to those who can’t read no guns allowed signs. Worse, they don’t have a legal duty to protect me.

In the end, academic administrators are more concerned with control than they are with my life. I don’t recall placing those folks in charge of my life.

It’s well past time for school employees to protect themselves on campus since colleges won’t. Georgia lawmakers can allow me to defend myself or read about my demise under a desk at school. I know my choice.

1. elfiii says:

Bravo for Dr. Edgens. A better move would be to drop the concealed carry permit altogether and let people carry openly or concealed anywhere they want to. It seems to work for all of the bad guys. Why can’t it work for the good guys as well?

• you says:

Let me add that the bill to allow 18 – 21 year olds carry concerns me. While it is not illegal for a 18, 19 or 20 year old to own a handgun if given to them, it is illegal for them to purchase one and it is also illegal for someone to purchase one on their behalf.

• gtmatt says:

This is not true in Georgia. It is against federal law for someone under 21 to purchase a handgun from an FFL (or at least for the FFL to sell it to them, anyway; I don’t know if it is actually illegal for the under 21 person to buy/attempt to buy from an FFL). It is not against federal or Georgia law for those 18-20 to purchase a handgun from a non-FFL seller.

What is the issue with 18-20 year olds carrying weapons, exactly?

• you says:

I do not know if it is illegal for a person under 21 to buy from an individual, I was speaking of FFL dealers. It is my understanding that anyone under 21 can own a handgun if it was a gift or inherited. The laws are vague.
          It is a federal law that you must be 21 to buy a handgun. Making it legal for 18-21 year olds to carry means they will need to have a source. Either their parents will buy it for them, they will buy it from an individual (keep in mind a private seller cannot knowingly sell a gun to a person who is prohibited from legally buying one ) or they will have someone buy one for them. This is the one that concerns me. Having a person buy a handgun for you is called a straw purchase and that will put you in jail.

Also, keep in mind a person under 21 cannot buy ammo for a handgun so he/she will have to have someone purchasing that too.
          I think this will just open a can of worms that the lawmakers have not thought through.

• gtmatt says:

It is not illegal (generally) in Georgia for a resident 18-20 to purchase a handgun from another, non-FFL resident. No, 18-20 year olds cannot purchase one from an FFL, I agree.

There is no reason why someone could not lend an 18-20 year old a handgun — such as a parent, etc.

I did not see a reason in your post why there is an issue with 18-20 year olds being allowed to carry weapons. Unless “opening a can of worms” is that reason?

People from certain other states who are 18-20 may already carry weapons in Georgia legally, and I am sure there are those who do. For example, in Alabama licenses are issued to 18-20 year olds. I am not sure why Alabama treats its adult citizens more like adults than Georgia does, but Georgia allows those Alabama adults with licenses to carry weapons here, while our own 18-20 year olds may not (generally). Even 18 and and 19 year old (oh the horror!) _teenagers_!

• you says:

My point is the GGA is trying to pass a bill with no thought as to how it will be implemented. If 18 year olds can carry and their parents do not buy the firearm then they will either buy from an individual or they will have a friend purchase one for them; This is a straw purchase but a 18 year old probably doesn’t undersatand that. An 18 year old will only see that he can get a carry permit but cannot buy a gun. That is confusing. I have no problem with teens and guns. I do have a problem with the GGA not understanding that someone CANNOT purchase a gun on someone’s behalf.
              Another thought is if you allow someone to “borrow” a gun and something goes wrong, who will be sued? You.

• gtmatt says:

I see I am having trouble expressing myself.

First you say: “While it is not illegal for a 18, 19 or 20 year old to own a handgun if given to them, it is illegal for them to purchase one”

I say: “It is not against federal or Georgia law for those 18-20 to purchase a handgun from a non-FFL seller.”

You then say: “I do not know if it is illegal for a person under 21 to buy from an individual, I was speaking of FFL dealers.” and “It is a federal law that you must be 21 to buy a handgun.”

I respond: “It is not illegal (generally) in Georgia for a resident 18-20 to purchase a handgun from another, non-FFL resident.”

You say: “So you are suggesting that 18 year olds buy their firearms for individuals because Federal Law says they can not legally buy one?” (I am guessing you meant “from” instead of “for” there. If not, please clarify.)

If I am not mistaken you have contradicted yourself several times on this issue and indicated you do not understand it clearly. I will repeat myself. It is not illegal in Georgia for 18-20 year olds to buy a handgun from a non-FFL. Not against Georgia law, not against federal law. Completely legal. There is no issue here for the General Assembly to “not understand”. If they made it possible for 18-20 year olds to get GWCLs, there are completely legal and normal ways for them to purchase a handgun. Due to federal law they wouldn’t be able to go to a gun store and buy a new one. Plenty of people buy used handguns from private individuals in this state.

• you says:

I did not contradict myself, I tried to explain my postion in a way you might understand. As I said before the laws are vague. I own a gun store. I sold thousands of handguns last year. I do understand the federal laws but you don’t seem to. Show me where it says an 18 year old can buy a handgun from an individual because I cannot find one.
                  What Federal Law states is that they can possess one if it is a gift and it also states that someone cannot buy a gun FOR someone else.
                  As for private sales, you can not knowingly sell a gun to someone who cannot legally buy one for themselves. This could include someone under 21 for handguns.

If there is a law for 18 – 21 year olds I would like to know.

• gtmatt says:

I suppose you are clarifying things here — you own a gun store and you think the laws are vague. I would suggest reading 18 USC § 922. I guess being an FFL is what is causing you to focus on the FFL-related part of the law. However, you are incorrectly applying it to non-FFLs. We are in perfect agreement that those 18-20 cannot legally buy a handgun from an FFL.

18 USC § 922 (b) makes it illegal for FFLs to sell a handgun to 18-20 year olds. It also makes it illegal for FFLs to sell any firearm to someone who is prohibited by state law from purchasing or possessing it.

18 USC § 922 (d) makes it illegal for anyone (not just FFLs) to sell/give a firearm or ammunition to someone who is on the subsequent disqualifying list (none of which have to do with age).

18 USC § 922 (x)(1) makes it illegal for anyone (not just FFLs) to sell/give a juvenile (less than 18, defined in (x)(5)) a handgun or ammunition for one.

You are asking me to do something that is impossible. If something is not forbidden by law, it is legal. I cannot point out a law that says those 18-20 can buy handguns from individuals because there isn’t one, and there doesn’t need to be. There is no law that says they can’t, and that is sufficient.

I cannot find anything in federal law on private sales re: can’t sell to someone who can’t legally buy one themselves. Even if that were true, it would still not outlaw private handgun sales to 18-20 year olds in Georgia as nothing prevents them from buying handguns from private individuals. Your reasoning is somewhat circular on that point.

I agree that straw purchases are illegal. Straw purchases specifically relate to making false statements on the 4473 form, so they don’t particularly relate to the 18-20 year old private sale question. Of course, 18-20 year olds cannot have someone who is 21+ go buy them a handgun from an FFL.

• you says:

So, you are saying an individual can do something a dealer cannot. That makes no sense. Why would federal law say you must be 21 to purchase a firearm from a FFL but not an individual? BTW there is no such thing as a non-ffl. Either you are a ffl dealer or you are an individual. Just because someone is not required to ask for your license when making a private sale of a handgun, does not mean it is legal. When I say the law is vague I am speaking on whether a 18 year old can “own” a gun. Federal law is clear that you must be 21 to purchase a handgun. Georgia does not have a law that over rides that. So, once again I will ask, how so you suppose a 18-21 year old will get a gun?
                      With your way of thinking a 18 yo should be able to buy alcohol from an individuals since the law only mentions stores not individuals.

• gtmatt says:

I am replying to my own post because it seems there is a limit to how many levels of replies this system supports…

Yes, I am saying individuals can do things dealers can’t. I am shocked that you are implying that federal law must “make sense”. I see very little in our laws or federal government that makes sense. For a very simple couple of examples, individuals can make sales without doing NICS checks and without having form 4473 filled out.

Okay, there are those who have FFLs and those that do not have FFLs. And you are objecting to “non-FFL” as a term referring to those who do not have FFLs? Really?

I do not know what you mean by this: “Just because someone is not required to ask for your license when making a private sale of a handgun, does not mean it is legal.” What license are you talking about?

The law is not vague about ownership of guns by 18 year olds. Clearly 18 year olds can purchase (even from FFLs!) and own rifles and shotguns. If you meant “handguns”, federal law only uses age as a prohibitor to possession by juveniles. You said yourself up above that 18-20 years olds could own handguns if given to them. Are you retracting that statement?

If federal law is so clear that handguns may only be purchased by those 21 and over (no matter the seller), please cite it to me. I will wait.

I have told you again and again how 18-20 year olds in Georgia may legally purchase a handgun. It is clear you will not accept the answer, yet you have not quoted any federal laws (or Georgia for that matter) that support your assertion that it is illegal. Please look up the federal law yourself, as I am not asking you take what I say on faith.

I don’t think this discussion has anything to do with alcohol. In any case I don’t know anything about laws regarding sale, possession, consumption, etc. of alcohol by 18 year olds or even anyone else. I don’t drink. Let’s discuss and address handgun purchases by 18-20 year olds in Georgia, and not something else.

• you says:

I will explain this one last time because I was on my phone earlier and I may not have been clear.

A person must be 21 to purchase a handgun from a FFL.

You said – ““It is not illegal (generally) in Georgia for a resident 18-20 to purchase a handgun from another, non-FFL resident.” Then You said -“You are asking me to do something that is impossible. If something is not forbidden by law, it is legal. I cannot point out a law that says those 18-20 can buy handguns from individuals because there isn’t one” – MY POINT EXACTLY. Fedaeral Law says you must be 21 so I am not sure why you think there needs to be another law. If it is OK, then fine. It is no skin off my back. I do not sell to this group so it takes nothing from me.

Straw purchase – Someone cannot buy a gun for someone under the age 21 unless it is a gift. I bring this up because if one is limited to buying from individuals choices are limited and there is bound to be someone that wants something new that is not for sale second hand. This will lead to a straw purchase or it could lead to people buying guns with the intent to sell to people under 21. That would make those un-licensed dealers but that’s another subject.

“non-FFL” – I had to clarify this to make sure you knew that there are no dealers without FFL’s. Anyone selling guns on a regular bases to make money must have a FFL.

Ammo – A person under 21 can NOT by handgun ammo so that is another item you will have to have a source for.

License – I was referring to a Driver’s license. A private seller does not have to ask for ID so they can sell to a minor to. They also do not have to ask if you are a felon or have any other record that would prohibit you from owning a firearm but it is in their best interest to do so.

It really makes no difference to me if younger people carry. I just worry that it will cause some issues that the GGA have not thought about. Right now police officers can not even carry when under 21. If they can “own” a gun, why can’t they carry? This probably would have been a better place to start.

2. SallyForth says:

Heaven help us! Encouraging gun slinging by students and teachers, using the excuse that an aberrant nut-job illegally uses a gun on campus (because our already lax laws make it easy for them to get guns), should scare the crap out of every Georgia parent — we really are headed for Crazy Town.

• you says:

Criminals will think twice before targeting students once they know that a student could possible be armed. Right now they know EVERY student id unarmed and that makes they an easy target.

BTW – it is not our “lax laws” that make it easy for a criminal to get a gun, it is the fact that they are criminals…they steal, they lie and they will purchase a gun illeaglly from another criminal, not from a LEGAL source.

• jiminga says:

Ah, the “wild west” argument surfaces. Let’s not use facts when forming opinions, but just make stuff up instead. Sally, look up the violent crime rates in Chicago, Washington DC, Baltimore, and San Francisco where local and state laws make it almost impossible to even buy a gun, much less carry one.

• Chaos says:

Seriously??? Who said anything about gunslinging? This is about protecting one’s person. Just because nut-jobs (using your word) like you are afraid of responsible citizens exercising their 2nd Amendment right, doesn’t make us the nut-jobs.

BTW, while I am not a college student anymore and am a hard-working family man with a nice paying job, I want you to know that I carried regularly on university campuses while there. I did so for one reason: Unarmed zones mean only criminals will have guns. While that may make me a criminal in your mind, it made me safe in mine. I would have used my concealed weapon in a heartbeat if I had needed it. Thank God, I didn’t.

Stop using your illogical fears to try to keep people from their rights.

• Cassandra says:

New SAT Test question:

Dorm Fridge – Check.
        iPad -Check.
        Back Pack -Check.
        Weapon -Check.

Which item doesn’t doesn’t normally fit with the others?

Good luck on this, I ‘get’ both sides of the issue, which leads me to conclude a damning indictment that a so-called civilized society is even having the conversation.

• ted in bed says:

I suppose the dorm fridge. Food in dorms rooms attract bugs.

Kiddin’ aside. When I went to college in Colorado during the 80’s every room had at least one rifle and even more during Elk season. I’m not sure what happened to college age kids since then but the claims about their irresponsibility is either a lie or something is wrong with our education system.

Ohh … one more thing. We could get and drink FREE beer. My school was blocks from the Coors brewery. I remain a loyal Coors drinker because of their sponsorship of my school. COLORADO SCHOOL OF MINES.

• mountainpass says:

Cassandra I’m not sure you ‘get’ this side of the issue. If the criminals at Tech, GSU, Georgia Southern, etc, were civilized we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

• Cassandra says:

I hear you loud and clear. The reality is that those kids are sitting ducks for predators so far off and away from the rules of civil society, that our solution is to grant the ‘right to carry.’ Loud and clear.

I have family @ GSU, sometimes late at night during exams.

It is sickening, and again, a damning indictment as to where we are.

• SallyForth says:

I was talking about the nut-jobs who presently once every year or two go on campus with a gun and shoot things up somewhere in the US. I wasn’t referring to your garden variety of students.

But if we start having students and teachers packing heat to school every day, yeah, that would be gunslinging. Unless they come from a family of hunters, most kids don’t know how to safely use a gun – so I guess our next step will creating a Firearms 101 class requirement?

I’m with Cassandra on this issue – that it is a sad state of affairs that our society has come to this. If we can put people on the moon, surely American ingenuity can figure out a better way to keep our campuses safe.

• Cassandra says:

My solution?

Board of Regents authorizes a Joint University SWAT effort coupling Ga Tech/GSU with trained officers, perhaps vets with VA benefits, to increase bike/foot patrols. Take back the streets. One thing the criminal element really understands is brute force, and that doesn’t mean armed students.

First off, many of the street crimes are occurring off campus, around 5th and Peachtree. An area of notable investment activity. This is a problem that affects lives and significant commercial real estate values.

Get trained people out there to ‘serve and protect,’ allowing college-age individuals to study, learn, and grow up to be productive earners. I will be expensive in a few decades.

• Cassandra says:

It is called a specially trained, localized, coordinated Police operation and physical presence in high crime areas. Armed students could be called ‘vigilantes,’ no thanks!

BTW, your handle is weird.

• ted in bed says:

Do you remember APD’s Red Dog unit and how it morphed into a civil rights violating squad of armed thugs.

3. Sally, gunslinging? Stop with the emotion and get with the facts. The only purpose of this is to protect the students. When do our rights to protecting ourselves stop and begin?

• Cassandra says:

Clever and unique application of the ‘for the children’ argument!

Would you advocate someone suing a university that decides to make carrying weapons on campus against their rules?

~disable snark font~

4. cheapseats says:

As someone constantly surrounding by college students who can’t even keep up with their shoes or their cellphones or their car keys, I think allowing students to carry guns will be great for the criminal element. They won’t have to steal guns or sell drugs to buy them any more – they can just walk around campus or downtown and find them on the ground or in the parking lots.

Seriously, most of these kids can’t even be trusted to safeguard their socks and you want them to all have guns? It’s bad enough we let them drive.

If it makes you feel freer and safer to know that you’re surrounded by armed teenagers under the influence of alcohol, drugs, raging hormones, etc. then your idea of safety is different than mine. I prefer to be free from gun-toting kids but whatever.

• Chaos says:

If it makes you feel freer and safer knowing that you are surrounded only by criminals with guns that desire to take what is yours, buy drugs, rape your daughter, etc., then your idea of safety is different than mine. I prefer to be free from gun-toting criminals, but whatever.

It is amazing that some people would voluntarily opt out of the Constitution.

• Cassandra says:

Another new SAT Test Question:

SouthWest ATL Too Strong (SWAT),
        Jack Boyz,
        3.5 GPA Honor Student

Which one does not normally fit with the others?

Yeah, it ‘get’ the problem, just fine. Maybe armed students seems like a good solution to a bad problem to some, but I’m more concerned the ‘cheapseats’ scenario will prevail.

• mountainpass says:

OK so what is the solution?

Look there are two ways to get another person to do what you want them too. Reason and Force. That’s it. The criminal can’t be reasoned with, without force. He doesn’t fear reason, he fears force used against him. If there is a chance he will meet force he may well choose a softer target.

• Cassandra says:

The solution?

Beyond the scope of PeachPundit, because the SOLUTION is apolitical, needs no legislation or regulation.

If I had a solution to eliminating teen pregnancy, families without fathers, the crippling effects of poverty on at risk youth, criminal gangs that are so disconnected with folks like me and you, don’t you think I would share it? “More guns, larger ammo, boots on the ground, and by-durn we’ll win this one,” is like applying a gas soaked rag to third degree burn.

Kids. Yeah, your basic college kids. Young adults, if you so prefer, but either way, young folks that are less experienced with how drawing down and killing someone will become a defining moment for the rest of their lives.

Go ahead and allow this and the consequences may be more painful than the cure.

• SallyForth says:

Whoa! Chaos, you are freaking me out – maybe your P/P handle is appropriately chosen….

About that Constitution thing, it says an “armed militia” – doesn’t say every individual is to be a gun toter. So I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree on that baby.

• Andre says:

If we are going to start citing the Constitution of the United States, then we should at least cite the Constitution correctly.

Amendment II to the Constitution of the United States reads, “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

With that pesky little citation out of the way (Note. The. Sarcasm.), we can now continue on to this age old discussion about the right of the people to keep and bear arms.

I’m of the opinion, based upon my reading of the Declaration of Independence, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Unfortunately, we have quite a few folks out there who regularly threaten the lives, liberties, and happiness of others. We call those threats criminals, and we most certainly have a right to protect ourselves from those criminals who regularly threaten our lives, our liberties, and our pursuits of happiness.

We have frequently heard, seen, or read reports detailing crimes committed against college students.

And as a side note, please recognize that I referred to those individuals enrolled in college as “college students,” because there are quite a few college students in their 30s, 40s, and 50s. It is a mistake for anyone to presume that college students are only those individuals aged 18 to 22. But that seems to be the sentiments reflected in many of the comments posted in this thread.

Returning to the subject at hand, we have frequently heard, seen, or read reports detailing crimes committed against college students. Georgia law says a person has the right to defend themselves or their property, using deadly force if necessary. Now how ironic is it that this state statute applies everywhere in Georgia except on the campuses of the state’s colleges and universities.

How ironic is it that a 30-year-old college student, a 40-year-old college student, even a 50-year-old college student can carry a firearm on taxpayer-funded MARTA, but can’t carry that same firearm on the campus of a taxpayer-funded college or university.

Those opponents of lifting the gun-carrying restriction on Georgia’s college campuses are using the same flawed logic employed by opponents of Sunday alcohol sales.

Much like those who said Sunday sales would lead to more DUIs, those opposing the repeal of the gun-carrying restriction say there will be more shootings in Georgia State University’s Sparks Hall or the Miller Learning Center at UGA.

The truth, however, is quite different.

Sunday sales was always about choice; letting the individual choose if they desire to purchase alcohol on Sunday, not the government.

The same can be said about repealing the gun-carrying restriction. Repealing the restriction would simply give law-abiding citizens a choice.

Law-abiding citizens would have the choice of carrying their firearm with them on the way to class. Some could choose to carry their firearm with them. Others could not. But again, it would be up to each individual, and not the government, to decide whether they’ll carry gun with them on their college campus.

• mountainpass says:

Why are you calling them kids? One must be 21 years of age to get a license. The bills addressing schools doesn’t allow anyone under 21 to carry there. There is a another bill that would allow 18 year olds to carry but doesn’t add schools to the law.

Also drugs are illegal, as well as alcohol for the under 21 crowd, what makes you think they will obey the law when it comes to firearms.

As for wanting “to be free from gun-toting kids,” I have news for you……

• SallyForth says:

Chronological age has nothing to do with today’s delayed adolescence. But I know that every parent in Georgia will sleep easier knowing the campus gun toters are supposed to be 21.

Your point re drugs and alcohol is well made – if we can’t expect them to be responsible with those things, what makes anybody think they would be with guns? I know I’d be thrilled about a bunch of drunk, doped up college kids all having their own gun added to the mix…..

We all know that anyone who wants to break the law already does on all these things. Having some sort of gun sanity laws as deterrents just helps keep honest people honest.

• gtmatt says:

I also object to calling them “kids”. They are not, except those who are under 18 when they first start college (there are a number who are still 17, besides the super-geniuses who start at 12, etc.). And I don’t think anyone has said they “want them all to have guns”. As mountainpass said, the bills in question right now are for those 21 and over who have licenses. These people can and do carry weapons in innumerable locations all over the state, and they do not seem to have problems with being influenced by alcohol, drugs, or hormones and shoot people, leave guns lying around, etc. I think we would have heard about this big problem already if such a thing were occurring, don’t you?

Are you saying that you think it would be better if college students were not allowed to drive? They are all drunkards, druggies, etc. who cannot be trusted? You seem to be painting with quite a broad brush.

• SallyForth says:

You guys might be surprised to know that we have hunting rifles and handguns in our house, and I’m a pretty accurate shot myself. I just think there is a time and place for everything – and neither the time nor especially the place was when I was in college.

• gtmatt says:

So because you would not trust yourself when and where you were in college, no one else, no matter the age or location, should be able to have the most effective tool for self defense available to them once they cross the magic property line onto a campus? No regard for the fact these same people carry weapons all over the state in various locations without trouble?

5. At what time and place does the constitution or need of self defense subside? When is getting shot cowering in a corner of a dorm room acceptable? When is dispatching a “bad guy” not a good idea?