Super Tuesday Open Thread

What’s going on out there? What’s going to happen tonight? Who will win what State? Will Romney seal the deal or will Gingrich and or Santorum keep on going?

• Bridget says:

And, since it’s technically an open thread – a friendly reminder to the Cobb GOPers planning to attend conventions ::

The County Convention for Cobb is THIS Saturday, March 10. If you want to be an alternate/delegate to the District or State Conventions, it is mandatory to interview with the nominating committee this year.

Note: Everyone (including elected officials, party officers and even those who have been going to these conventions for years) MUST be interviewed by the nominating committee to be considered as a delegate/alternate this year.

The kicker is that unlike previous years, there will be NO interviews on the morning of County Convention. Interviews have been going on for a few days, and there’s only ONE more time slot available to interview – this THURS from 5pm-7pm at Cobb GOP HQ.

• TheEiger says:

That is just asking for trouble. The Ron Paul folks are going to be ready for a fight over that. I will be staying at home.

• Bridget says:

I think you might be thinking of a different nomination process. This “nominating committee” is for you to nominate yourself to be a delegate/alternate to the County or State convention. This is actually a cleaner process in that delegates can’t just be blindly selected at the last minute.

The interview process was announced at Mass Precincts, then mailed in a letter, then sent via multiple emails and posted to social media numerous times. There have been multiple days and times for interviews with plenty of notice.

“Being ready for a fight” after the organization and communication put forth by the Cobb GOP would say a lot about a person. I emailed back and forth with a Libertarian party board member today. He’s a good guy, and I went to college with him and his wife.

It’ll all go smoothly…

• Doug Grammer says:

Hi Bridget,

I’m Chairman of the nominating committee in my county and I’ve been doing this a week or two. Your nominating committee can require an interview, a resume, and 3 letters of reference if that’s what they decide before they decide to put forth a name to be considered by the convention. However, unless something major has happened that I don’t know, like the GA GOP rules being changed, I’m certain you will have to allow nominations from the floor. Check with Anne Lewis or John White to be sure.

• TheEiger says:

That was my thought as well Doug. Could be wrong, but that is how it has been done in the past.

• CobbGOPer says:

No thanks, I’ve got better things to do on Saturday then go through another one of these conventions. Like it matters; the state and national delegates have already been selected for the most part. They’ll be the Sue Everharts and Eric Tannenblatts and Jay Morgans and Tricia Pridemores, while throwing in a few of the lower level party activists just so it’s not completely filled with party insiders. I have no interest in this political theater meant to make me feel like the party gives a damn about what I think.

1. TPNoGa says:

I am voting for Romney as well.

Open thread off topic: I have been listening to Erick E. on WSB. I swear I am beginning to think he has been paid by the DNC. He is like listening to Maddow discuss the GOP primary. On the subject of Romney, he reminds me of Perot against Bush back in ’92. EE has gone off the reservation IMO.

2. Jackster says:

@TPNoGA – So I listen to E.E. & watch the rachel maddow show (TRMS).

They are nothing alike. EE breaks down the horse race quite well; just because he doesn’t support Romney doesn’t mean he’s ready to take a wedge social issue and blow it way out of proportion to humiliate republicans (Example: TRMS’s coverage of the Va Bill requiring US’s before Abortions).

However, I do think he could be funnier about stupid stuff democrats do, and in that way be like TRMS.

Of course, I just voted for Ron Paul & Alcohol on Sunday.

• TPNoGa says:

Well, I must admit that I have never seen Maddow, so it was probably not a fair comparison. I was listening to EE last night and he was saying how we are doomed. It may look good for Obama now, but a lot can happen between now and November. He was just sooo negative about the GOP it made me mad. we may be messed up, but IMO we are still the better choice.

• Three Jack says:

“we may be messed up, but IMO we are still the better choice”

Why accept mediocrity so willingly? EE is right, we are screwed.

• Jackster says:

Were you the guy that called in and said it sounded like he had switched over to being a democrat, to which he dodged question by saying, “I’m an elected republican”, but a conservative first.

I’ve only seen candidates I could stomach sparingly – Bill Richardson in 2008, Ron Paul in 2012, and Herman Cain in 2012.

Unfortunately, EE’s right – The R’s are messed up. Personally, I’m paying more attention to local races and things.

• joe says:

That is similar to what I saw in north Henry county this afternoon. One polling place had no signs, another only Gingrich and Santorum, and the third had one Gingrich sign. How odd.

• kzh says:

I just drove by a polling place and saw a handful of Ron Paul and Newt signs and one each of Mitt and Santorum. I also saw a few Ron Paul bumper stickers, but none for the other candidates.

3. gaexaminer says:

Everybody wins at least one state today. Yes, even Paul, even if it is in the bitter Northwest. I think Virginia is proportional, though – so Paul might get some there. I’m don’t think he gets more than 40-50 today.

Overall, I just have a bad feeling about today, that it’s going to come down to enough going to Romney to begin rolling to the nomination after all.

I’m heading out in a minute to vote for Newt and for booze on Sunday.

• seenbetrdayz says:

The national debt is child abuse (and grandchild abuse, and great-grandchild abuse, and great . . . okay I’ll stop, even though I think most folks still don’t get the picture).

4. L Max Lehmann says:

(Alexandria, VA)

Interesting views from Larry Sabato, Albert Eisele (Founder, The Hill), and MSNBC contributor Jonathan Capehart describing the the current Congressional and Senate as the most divided level of partisanship in history, at least since 1860. That these three agree is remarkable.

Whatever your stripes, your pick of candidate, it is critical that you, dear readers and friends, recognize the difference between policy and politics.

We are set for further ‘gridlock’ for at least 4 to 6 years, based on who wins what, according to these journalists and prognosticators.

While this is all ‘sadly entertaining,’ our National debt will approach $20 Trillion by 2020. That is a staggering national security issue. Do not for a moment think that the Greek, Portugese, or Spanish default concerns cannot happen here.

Never in the history of modern man has a Republic been scheduled for destruction with such precision. I ask each of you to research and reach out to your elected officials in Georgia to address this issue of paramount importance.

Citizen involvement is the only answer to resolve, repair, and restore American stability and long term viability.

• saltycracker says:

Good comments until the end. Nah, citizens will increasing turn to the government to solve their problems. Politicans will pander to those demands gerrymandering the tax code and increasing spending.

No austerity programs will be considered until, Greek style, it is over. Then politicians will rush forth to declare they did not cause the problem but they can solve it. We don’t know when it is over, $20 trillion, $25, more ?

It won’t be over until it is over. Bill Gross in his March football analogy letter said it well, time for defense unless you are a superstar stock picker. Hint…not many Brady’s & Manning’s out there.

5. View from Brookhaven says:

Voters were outnumbered by poll workers by about 2 to 1 at my station in beautiful Unincorporated Dekalb/Ashford/Brookhaven around 5:20-ish.

6. SallyForth says:

My polling place had a slow trickle…… of people. 🙂 Stack of voters’ cards was pretty evenly split, D’s and R’s, for what that’s worth, indicated a fair number of Dems casting token votes of support for Obama as the lone name on the ballot.

7. View from Brookhaven says:

“Newt-a-mania.”
    The “Real American” music from the 80’s.

Please let somebody hit Newt with a steel chair. Please.

8. CobbGOPer says:

I would just like to broadcast a big FU to all the ‘skeptical’ legislators – DAVID SHAFER – who for years continued to deny Georgians the freedom to buy legal products on all days of the week (even if it’s restricted to certain hours during that last day of the week).

Are the overwhelming votes in favor of Sunday Sales just a complete shock to you, Senator Shafer? You realize your entire county will be wet by the end of the year? I do hope your liquor distributor buddies start being more stingy with their campaign contributions in the future, now that you’ve failed them.

9. drjay says:

interesting super tuesday aside-obama only got 57% in the okla. dem primary last night and randall terry actually picked up delegates in that race–weird huh…

• Calypso says:

randall terry is weird, if that’s what you mean…as well as anyone who would vote for the guy

• drjay says:

i meant all of it was weird–randall terry, the fact that terry is apparently “running for prez” as a dem and on the ballot somewhere, and that obama was held to 57% in a primary…