Roberta Abdul Salaam Steps Down From House Seat; To Run For Clayton County Commission

Just received an e-mail invitation to a press confernce for State Rep Roberta Abdul Salaam (D-Clayton County, District 74).  She’s announcing a run for the Clayton County Commission:

Clayton County Legislative Delegation Chairperson Representative Roberta Abdul Salaam (D-74 ) announces her candidacy for Chairperson of the Clayton County Commission  at a campaign kick-off press conference and reception on Monday. Touting a strong record of leadership on a national,state, and local level, Representative Abdul-Salaam seeks to apply her passion and dedication for Clayton County directly as the lead of the Board of Commissioners.  Residents from all overthe state will be in attendance.

The subject line of the email indicates that she will be stepping down from her House seat. Someone who attends the 5:00pm presser will have to tell us if that means immediately, or upon qualifying which will be after this session of the General Assembly comes to an end. I’ve received an email clairification that Rep. Salaam will finish the session and step down afterwards to qualify for the new seat.

1. ricstewart says:

Roberta is one of the most accessible elected officials I’ve known. She returns calls quickly and always follows through on requests from citizens. Even though I usually disagree with her politics, I have a tremendous amount of respect for her.

2. mytaxking says:

Go Roberta!!! Finally we have Proven Leadership stepping up to the plate for the Citizens of Clayton County! I am a Business Owner that had to close my business locations in Clayton because my employees could not make it to work. What a shame! As for me and my house we are Rolling With Roberta!!!

3. ricstewart says:

I’m also glad that she’s finishing out this legislative session. We’ve already had too many special elections. Best of luck to her.

• Calypso says:

But will that truly preclude a special election? What if the guv calls the GA back in session during the summer?

• Charlie says:

You don’t have to resign your seat if the term of the new office you’re running for begins concurrently with the one you currently hold.

• Calypso says:

You sure you mean concurrently?

con·cur·rent/kənˈkərənt/
          Adjective:
          Existing, happening, or done at the same time.
          (of two or more prison sentences) To be served at the same time.
          Synonyms: