Senator Greg Goggans will not run for reelection

February 29, 2012 11:47 am

by Todd Rehm · 5 comments

From the Blackshear Times:

“It was a difficult decision to make,” said Goggans, who has served South Georgia causes in the state legislature for the past eight years.

Goggans said in his statement he “believes it is time to return my attention to my expanding orthodontic practice I share with business partner,” Dr. Dana Fender.

After his current term is completed, he plans to return to join Dr. Fender full time in their orthodontics practices.

Chris Huttman February 29, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I first met Goggins back in Spring 2004 doing some DPG work in that neck of the woods. He was a nice guy and we had a good conversation that didn’t really touch on our partisan differences.

He strikes me as the kind of guy that used to run as a Democrat, now as a Republican, but just wants to make a positive difference and give back. Unfortunately, it’s becoming harder and harder (and with partisanship increasing less appealing) for that type of person to run for and inhabit a legislative seat.

To illustrate that point, just look at who will likely be replacing him.

Engineer March 1, 2012 at 8:24 am

Unfortunately, I fear that either Kay Godwin or Mark “Where’s the long form?” Hatfield will be the most likely to try to run for that spot.

bowersville March 1, 2012 at 9:13 am

At the AJC Jim Galloway is carrying this article that says Mark Hatfield has announced he is running for the open Senate seat.

Medic8310 March 1, 2012 at 12:21 am

That guy WILL NOT be replacing him. You can take that to the bank!

Calypso March 1, 2012 at 7:16 am

Shall we demand he display his long-form birth certificate, even though we all know it’s a fake?

Comments on this entry are closed.