SOS Brian Kemp pulls SB 445 to streamline professional licensing

February 24, 2012 12:14 pm

by Todd Rehm · 6 comments

Secretary of State Brian Kemp has asked that Senate Bill 445, which his office helped developed and was introduced by Sen. Bill Hamrick (R-Carroll County) be withdrawn from consideration:

Secretary Kemp stated, “In October, I began discussions with the Governor’s Office, legislative leaders, members of the professional licensing boards, leaders of professional associations and license holders themselves to identify options for reducing the time required to approve license applications, renewals and to determine sanctions. These discussions provided the impetus for legislation to streamline operations at PLB.”

“Due to time constraints in drafting a compromise and the ability for stakeholder review, it was not realistic to have a final bill drafted by day 30 of the legislative session. Therefore, I have decided to withdraw the bill from consideration during this year’s General Assembly session. Withdrawing the legislation will allow my office to continue to meet in a spirit of cooperation and compromise with all stakeholders so we can produce a bill that addresses the critical needs facing PLB and, most important, the 460,000 licensed Georgians and businesses we serve.”

“Frankly, the easiest thing for me to do would have been nothing, and allow the license application waiting time to gradually grow over time, year after year. But, as General Colin Powell so succinctly states, ‘Leadership is solving problems.’ I was elected to be a leader and public servant, which means increasing operations efficiency in each agency division and reducing regulations for license holders and entrepreneurs. I would rather spend the coming year crafting a bill that addresses the needs and concerns of all parties than to haphazardly rush the legislative process.”

“Please feel free to contact my office if you have any questions or comments about Senate Bill 445 and streamlining our licensing procedures. Together we can make government a friendlier and more efficient partner of Georgia’s businesses and professional license holders.”

The act was intended to streamline licensing operations under various professional boards attached to the Secretary of State’s office and reduce the time and expense associated with applying for a license without sacrificing the boards’ strict quality control procedures.

Calypso February 24, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I’m going out on a limb here, but it sounds like Kemp made a rational and well thought out decision and his explanation of his actions seems logical.

He is a politician though, right?

Romegaguy February 24, 2012 at 9:20 pm

The Act was intended to give the Agriculture Commissioner, I mean Secretary of State, more power and in hopes that he could shake down the people he would have greater control over their ability to practice their profession, I mean raise more money for his efforts to run for Governor in 2018.

debbie0040 February 25, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I supported Brian’s efforts…

LoyaltyIsMyHonor February 25, 2012 at 4:09 pm

So did I Debbie. Sad that a consolidation of state boards and services is viewed as a power grab. Funny how Republicans will publicly proclaim smaller government, but when push comes to shove they’ll always shy away and claim “power grab!” What a joke.

South Fulton Guy February 25, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Ditto

Dave Bearse February 26, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I’ve yet to receive e-mail notification to renew corporate registration unlike years past when notification was typically recieved the first week of February. Kemp would do well to focus on the job at hand, rather than try to fix something that’s not broke.

It’s not unexpected though, given Kemp’s experience in the Georgia General Assembly. The Assembly after all is a body will a focus on pandering to a Christian base on critical Georgia issues like sharia law, instead of things like regional transportation governance.

Fulton and DeKalb were given a preview what to expect when the state GOP says “Trust us to reform transit governance after you vote for T-SPLOST”. I expect you’ll see many local Fulton and Dekalb officials distancing themselves, if not opposing T-SPLOST, come the end of the session. Sayonara, T-SPLOST.

Comments on this entry are closed.