Scratch HR 186 Pari-mutuel wagering on horse races

February 22, 2012 16:39 pm

by Todd Rehm · 6 comments

House Resolution 186, which would put a Constitutional Amendment on the ballot in November 2012 for voters to decide whether to allow pari-mutuel wagering on horse races has been scratched from today’s House Regulated Industries Committee meeting and will not be heard this year. It likely will be taken out behind the Capitol and shot.

Baker February 22, 2012 at 9:49 pm
fmlaw1 February 22, 2012 at 11:24 pm

So, what is it going to take to get the horse industry up and running (pun intended) in Georgia? This should create a good bit of jobs, both on and off the track.

Could it be the .gov, afraid it would put the state lottery at risk? Heck, I would think the potential rake from the casinos to the state would _save_ the Hope Scholarship, helping it expannd instead of contract.

Baker February 23, 2012 at 1:19 am

Nail me on trying to legislate behaviour or whatever, but I hope they continue to keep this at bay. HOPE may get some money, but plenty of people that shouldn’t be spending their money will lose plenty of it at casinos and horse races. Bookman nails it:

AMB February 23, 2012 at 11:42 am

Excuse me but it’s my money and if I want to gamble here or Las Vegas or Macau, what business is that of yours?
Talk about the nanny state.

Baker February 23, 2012 at 3:40 pm

You’re right. It’s not my business. But it messes up communities and that’s that. I hope it never comes.

saltycracker February 23, 2012 at 8:10 pm

The difference is the politicians want to pick one winner in taxing the gambling industry – Education.

What does education have in common with professional sports like the LA Dodgers, Texas Rangers and Chicago Cubs or many, many players ?
You can’t throw enough money at them as they go bankrupt.

No problem if property taxes for education go away and revenue moves into the domain of consumption taxes.

Comments on this entry are closed.