Raise your (very small) drink — House legalizes liquor samples in distillery tours

February 22, 2012 16:11 pm

by Todd Rehm · 12 comments

The state house passed HB 514 by Rep. Rusty Kidd (I-Milledgeville) by a 146-20 vote, which will allow Georgia distilleries to provide a single half-ounce sample per day for each person of drinking age on a tour of the distillery.

On a tangential note, Rep. Kidd’s father, Senator Culver Kidd, once gave a speech in the well of the Senate wearing a suit custom-tailored from 160 purple velvet Crown Royal bags. When I spoke to Rep. Kidd last year, he told me he still owned his father’s famous suit. On another note, the papers of the late Senator Kidd are held by Georgia Southern University Library’s Special Collections and contain at least one Crown Royal bag.

Mike Hassinger February 22, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Related: It’s national margarita day. I hope you got me something.

Doug Deal February 22, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I thought that was May 5.

saltycracker February 22, 2012 at 5:50 pm

1/2 oz. of legal moonshine is enough. We’re pumping out bills most important to us now !

NoTeabagging February 22, 2012 at 5:53 pm

We need a source for 1/2 oz. mason jars for our ‘distillery’ tasters.

Dickson February 23, 2012 at 8:21 am

Where in the sam hill does GA have distilleries? The one’s around my N GA hometown never gave public tours

drjay February 23, 2012 at 8:32 am

from the earlier discussion of this bill, i believe there is one in kidd’s district, which is why he was trying to make this happen…

drjay February 23, 2012 at 9:24 am

here it is–in milledgeville, if they don’t do tours, my guess is they hope to start…

Calypso February 23, 2012 at 9:15 am

Quite a few in the N. GA mountains, but I don’t think those are the ones to which this bill pertains.

NoTeabagging February 23, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Yep, the uninvited might get a tasting of buckshot from those distilleries.

saltycracker February 23, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Google them there are a few, but one is close to his home taste…..guess they hope this law will inspire more moonshiners to get legit….

If they want to get some serious revenue going, legalize, tax & control marijuana -
hey, EARMARK time for that bill !!!

bowersville February 23, 2012 at 9:59 am

Here’s a legally operated distillery in Mt. Airy, GA. Ivy Mountain Distillery, using the original mountain recipes.

NoTeabagging February 23, 2012 at 5:25 pm

leaded or unleaded?

Comments on this entry are closed.