Happy Presidents Day

I apologize for the poor quality of this photo, but I only had an old iPhone and besides, we can’t all be Todd Rehm. It’s a little hard to tell, but the portrait of President Barack Obama has been rendered in scraps from Coca Cola cans, and it was on display in the Capitol rotunda on Friday. If you get a chance to see it, you should, because it’s really kind of cool.

You may be struck by the irony of positioning a portrait of President Obama in front of Alexander Hamilton Stephens, an attorney from Crawfordville who served Georgia as a US Representative, our 50th governor and vice-President of the Confederacy. In 1861, Stephens gave the infamous “Cornerstone Speech” asserting that because blacks were not equal to whites, slavery was their “natural condition” and that slavery was the “foundation” and “cornerstone” of the Confederacy. Stephens voted against secession, (but argued that states did have the right to secede) denounced many of Jefferson Davis’ policies, advocated peace talks and actually met with Abraham Lincoln to try to end the war. But the portrait of our 44th President repudiates the speech far more eloquently than Stephens himself ever did.

1. Charlie says:

Obama made of recycled coke cans.

Seems only appropraite, at the Republicans have recycled 4 guys to be the GOP challenger to him. One first ran for President in 1988. It’s been 10 years since any of the others have won an election.

• bgsmallz says:

The presidential race has all the feeling of a heavyweight boxing fight….except not the “Lenox Lewis vs. Holyfield” kind but the “Mike Tyson vs. (insert name like washed up Michael Spinks, Tony Tubbs, Carl Frazier, etc.)” kind or the kind of fights Mickey set up for Rocky in Rocky III.

I don’t see a Buster Douglas or a Clubber Lang in the bunch.

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

My recollection sucks. I had forgotten that Paul ran as a Libertarian in 1988. But I do remember Biden running in ’88. That was the first election in which I was old enough to vote 🙂

Gees, so long ago 🙁

• Charlie says:

I just let a lot of your comments out of the spam filter. My guess is you used a word that rhymes with Christine O’Donnell too many times. Those comments are still spammed.

• Calypso says:

My Coke can comment was caught, as well as a reply to Harry that said merely “True ‘dat” and a few other innocuous comments.

And no, I never used the term for a female dog at all. Thanks for letting me out of the dog house.

• Doug Deal says:

I’m sure there might be some New Coke cans in there, considering how it was hyped as a “change”, failed to deliver on its promisses, insired spontaneous grass roots opposition groups, and lead people to miss its predecessor.