Picture of the Day: Support Brookhaven and Get Electrocuted

So, apparently if you’re a supporter of the proposed City of Brookhaven-Ashford, you’ll have fewer police, higher taxes, be in danger of bankruptcy (maybe they’re wanting to rename the city to “Bankruptcity”, but I think “City of Brookhaven-Ashford-Bankruptcity” would be too long to fit on the city limit signs), and your chances of being struck by lightning go up immensely (according to the picture that was sent to us by Buzz):

Fellow contributor Mike Hassinger suggested making up a dance that’s “one step forward, pause, shake spastically. Call it ‘the Brookhaven’.” He might be willing to demonstrate it at our next Peach Pundit Road Show…for a price, of course.

1. Andre says:

I’ve seen that flawed argument before.

It was put forth by those opposing the city of South Fulton.

Fewer police, higher taxes is what they claimed would happen if south Fulton became a city.

The irony is that by remaining unincorporated, south Fulton saw higher taxes and fewer services. The only difference is that we have folks like Liz Hausmann (whom I frequently talk with on Facebook) and Tom Lowe voting on tax increases and service allocation in areas where they don’t even live.

Local control over local issues is far better for Brookhaven than having county commissioners deciding local issues for that local community.

• ted in bed says:

I thought the middle picture was suggesting that God will turn the residents of Brookhaven -Ashford into pillars of salt.

• bgsmallz says:

It’s what a Limbo game looks like in the THUNDERDOME!

I’m telling you that these folks that are running the opposition group are certifiable. I can’t wait until more of their ‘volunteers’…er….paid day laborers…deliver new flyers to my house.

• Cassandra says:

The oppo for Dunwoody consisted of two groups, certifiable baffoons hired by snuggles and a couple of dozen Citizens asking legitimate questions.

Both groups were castigated equally.

2. Calypso says:

I think the graphic means there will be free electricity for those who vote against incorporation. Or something like that.

3. L. Max Lehmann says:

Rep. Mike Jacobs asked me to chime in about this incorporation because I supported the idea of improving DeKalb County governance as opposed to creating Dunwoody. I spent a great deal of personal time attending each Government Affairs Committee meeting, and many community meetings as well.

I posted commentary as “Tea Party,” and am proud of the fact that others joined my effort to ask the tough questions that would further vet incorporating Dunwoody. City Council, Mayors, and prominent Dunwoody supporters remained friends throughout this process. I urge others to be judicious with their words, avoid name calling, because regardless of outcome, many of y’all are probably still going to be neighbors.

Perhaps these thoughts will assist the efforts to vet incorporation of the area surrounding my alma mater, Oglethorpe University.

Citizens in Dunwoody had good Police service with DeKalb County, but now enjoy more specialized, focused Police services since incorporating Dunwoody. Our Officers are all highly trained, seasoned veterans. We joined ChattComm, and I did notice that dispatch response was within ten minutes on a non-priority call (suspicious vehicle.)

Policing is costly, consuming 28% of our City budget, with the Chief suggesting another 18 Officers over five years, increasing the Police budget percentage to 35%. All of that stays in Dunwoody.

Numerous roadway improvements are visible; street pavings, sidewalks, new intersections are being discussed. These improvements seem to be occurring on an equal basis around Dunwoody. Wal-Mart announces a neighborhood store in an area described as a ‘food desert’ by some residents, with all sorts of new developments on tap.

In November, Citizens cast a convincing vote to deny a Park Bond referendum. Many expressed concern the plan lacked specificity and no plan to pay for new park operational funding. The annual cost, $200 or so, was less of an issue. If the Bond passed, again, I would take comfort knowing every nickel would be spent in Dunwoody, a 12 square mile area.

Unaddressed DeKalb governance issues are a concern for all Citizens. Incorporation offers some level of protection and insulation from a County government that seems to ignore taxpayers revulsion at a 26% increase in property taxes. Those in the City pay less now than unincorporated DeKalb.

DeKalb School Board issues directly impact property values and must be addressed in the Senate as they were particularly ignored by the local delegation. North DeKalb is NOT like Clayton or Fulton County schools because Citizens are now seeing and reacting to delegation inconsistencies.

City Councilman John Heneghan is providing video of important meetings, people are not happy. Unhappy people call, click, come by or write to elected officials. In a representative government, enough unhappy people create change.

Many naysayers indicate DeKalb is in a death spiral.

I say: Location, location, location, baby.

DeKalb citizens have both great proximity to Atlanta and a relatively moderate, live-and-let-live County government. DeKalb needs more public involvement to resolve it’s issues, elected officials respond to letters, calls, visits, by either changing policy or finding a new line of work.

If Brookhaven-Ashford is as successful as Dunwoody, Citizens can expect a more focused, positive short-to-medium term outlook. If all the new cities manage to all play nice with the County and avoid the ill effects of Balkanization, the long term ought to be good as well.

Charlie says, “PeachPundit is not retail politics,” so I am not too sure how many Citizens are going to see this, yet I hope it is useful.

• NoTeabagging says:

Can someone please give give Mike Jacobs his own little ‘Jacobstopia’ fiefdom so he can leave the rest of us DeKalb citizens the hell alone?

I’m sure he can get this land by writing another bill whereby ignores his own written language and claim it means something else, but without a multi million dollar Bond Referendum Legal Battle this time. He’s so good at that, twisting his own legislation.

Exception granted for his continued pursuit of arch enemy and public nuisance, Vernon Jones.

• bgsmallz says:

Mike is doing a great job and is pushing an issue that the majority of his constituents want him to push. If he stopped on a dime every time some loudmouth with a weak argument claimed he was ignoring his constituents, well … he’d have a lot of dimes and very few supporters.

Seriously, “Jacobsville” and “Jacobstopia” is probably the stupidest argument yet some people keep spouting it as if it will gain traction. It’s fun for the small group of dissenters to put that on stickers or say it at every town hall meeting, but all it does is alienate you from the folks who are (a) in support of a city or (b) who are interested in vetting the issues rather than calling names.

Of course, you don’t have to take my word for it. Mike and the city of Brookhaven will be vetted through the voting process this year. I’d be surprised if either didn’t receive overwhelming positive support.

• Cassandra says:

@NoTeabagging What if Rep. Jacobs promises any and all campaign signs will be carefully placed out of the right of way and promptly removed?

For over 35 years, and well before that, the Atlanta’s governance paradigm has worsened and is divided by competing Big County influences. Two Counties, One City, equals a pathetic mess.

Problematic institutions like Grady (Improved since new Management), MARTA (Yet to be improved by new Management), BOC/CEO, DCSS, plague a tax weary populace. At least those folks that actually pay taxes. Complicit in the nonsense is a rural General Assembly that openly states how much they hate the economic engine of Georgia. Just not enough to stop enjoying the fruits of Cheshire Bridge when they get here….

These divisions create inefficiencies that make Atlanta less attractive to new business development, workers, and residents, compared to other SE cities. As time marches on, these governmental constraints make it harder to sell Atlanta in a competitive region.

In fact, governmental inefficiency, coupled with water and traffic issues, may have brought the inevitable effects of diminishing returns to Atlanta. We’ll see how we come out of this terrible economic cycle. My guess is the blue-hot economy of the ’90-08 period will not
        be repeated for awhile, if ever.

DeKalb will continue to be deeply and largely adversely influenced by the power structure of I-20 South, lead by Stan W., Pam S., Gene W., and others, pitted against philosophical political differences of a North DeKalb minority. Same true for Fulton. And Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, Dunwoody shine-on in spite of it.

Listen to some of the committee meetings, and more than a few of the floor speeches our DeKalb and Fulton reps make and witness firsthand the inane displays of mediocrity, poor language, and ineptitude, imaginable.

The chaos and nonsense would be laughable, if it were not expensive and avoidable. Protect yourself, Brookhaven.

RANT OVER.

• NoTeabagging says:

Hey Guys, I totally support the Brookhaven citizens the right to incorporate and create a better local government than they are getting from dysfunctional DeKalb County. If Mr. Jacobs and the citizens can create a better city, more power to them. I do jokingly state the Mr. Jacobs should have his own ‘fiefdom’ because I believe he has engaged in unnecessary meddling to the detriment of Dekalb citizens. For those actions, highlighted below, I wish he would go away and rule his own little kingdom. Although he is welcome to protect us from Vernon Jones again, as needed.

I don’t forgive Rep. Jacobs for twisting a bill, his own bill BTW, that clearly defines the voter referendum rules for Public Safety and Judicial facilities construction bonds (HB 181). He claimed the county could not sell bonds to pay off $4.3 million in debt on the new Porter Sanford III Performing Arts Center, which IMNSHO, was not covered under the Public Safety and Judicial facilities bill, because it obviously was not a Public Safety or Judicial facility as stated in the bill. I also did not agree with another Jacobs success, the right for newly incorporated cities (Dunwoody) to buy developed parkland for $100 an acre and Fire stations for $5000 each from DeKalb County (SB 58 as amended & HB 203). My own sour grapes, I’ll admit it.

• Cassandra says:

The purchase of Manhattan for $24 and some beads still tops the land deal Dunwoody and Sandy Springs got for their Park, Police, and Fire facilities.

The supporting rationale is that citizens paid for these facilities over time, thus the people bought back their property for nominal consideration.

The Porter Sanford example is yet another reason to incorporate Brookhaven. I have never been there, and to my knowledge, no such shrine exists anywhere north of I-20.

• elfiii says:

@Cassandra “Seriously, though, the only way to move Atlanta forward is to decimate, eliminate, and decapitate the political and economic hurdles imposed by Big County government. This trend began with Sandy Springs and now continues down to Brookhaven. Emancipate!”

That’ll preach.

• Cassandra says:

Never heard that, I hope to meet you! Maybe here:

THAT’LL Preach Defined:

You’ll notice that’s a phrase I use often in my writing. I do so in real life as well. Since I use it so often, I figured I better offer the meaning of one of my most favorite phrases. The origin of “That’ll preach” I am unsure of. It’s just something I’ve always said.

It is among other things, an affirmation or form of co-signing similar to “Amen”, “That’s Right”, “Right On”, or “Preach on”. The only difference is the phrase “Now that will preach” has a bit more depth. It’s like saying “Now that’s deep” or “There’s a lot more that can be said there” or “I could take that topic and run” or “Just give me my soapbox and let me at it”.

The suggestion when I use that phrase is that a topic, subject, or idea has been brought to the table that in and of itself is preach-worthy meaning its ponticatable qualities are a 10 on the scale.

• elfiii says:

@Cassandra – “The origin of “That’ll preach” I am unsure of.”

It’s pure country Southern in it’s origin. Don’t know if it started in Baptist churches or where.

I concur with your definitions/ synonyms and would like to add one of my own – “Now that’s the truth and it needs to be said a lot more.” 😉

4. Andre says:

If I may, allow me to quote the only person capable of electrocuting those with dissenting opinions.

Darth Sidious, also known as Emperor Palpatine, once told Anakin Skywalker, “All those who gain power are afraid to lose it, even the Jedi.”

5. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Well I was electrocuted once and I just so happened to be within an incorporated city. Coincidence? I don’t think so…you’ve all been warned!

6. NoTeabagging says:

Perhaps Mike can post this dance on YouTube for a PP road show ‘Flash mob’ performance, or save it for the next Jacobstopia meeting.