Santorum To Visit Georgia Sunday

February 16, 2012 23:35 pm

by Buzz Brockway · 20 comments

Former Senator and GOP Presidential Candidate Rick Santorum will visit Georgia this Sunday. He’ll be speaking at First Redeemer Church in Cumming.

First Redeemer Church
2100 Peachtree Parkway
Cumming, GA 30041

The meeting begins at 6:30 pm and doors open at 5:30.

Santorum may make other appearances in Georgia on Sunday and as I get information on those I’ll pass on the details.

Full Disclosure: I’m supporting Senator Santorum.

Buzz Brockway February 17, 2012 at 12:05 am

Rosetta Stone did a poll in Michigan showing Santorum with a 9 point lead over Romney.

Bucky Plyler February 17, 2012 at 10:48 am

Me too, Buzz.

Calypso February 17, 2012 at 10:05 am

“Full Disclosure: I’m supporting Senator Santorum.”

I’m disappointed to learn that about you, Buzz. I thought you were more discriminating in your thought process than to support such a big government spending fiscal moderate and social Neanderthal.

John Vestal February 17, 2012 at 10:10 am

I’ve voted GOP in very presidential election since Buzz (the distiguished gentleman from the 101st, not the lovable mascot) was in middle school. If Rick Santorum wins the party nomination this year, I simply can’t see that streak being extended.

Three Jack February 17, 2012 at 2:39 pm

If this was 1950 when an aspirin between the knees still had a shot, maybe. But 62 years later, the archaic ramblings of Santorum and his super pac sugar daddy decrying pre-marital sex and birth control just won’t cut it.

How can Santorum be taken seriously as a candidate? He opposes state involvement in religion but will without hestation impose his religious beliefs on the affairs of state (see Terri Schiavo fiasco for one example). It is really alarming that this guy is even still in the GOP race, much less a potential nominee.

Todd Rehm February 20, 2012 at 12:29 am

I’m not supporting anyone yet in the Presidential race, but it is worth noting that the line about an aspirin was not spoken by Santorum.

Three Jack February 20, 2012 at 9:48 am

Note taken. It was spoken by his super pac sugar daddy Foster Friess which is why I mentioned him along with Santorum in my post.

Based on Santorum’s well documented personal position against contraception and pre-marital sex, the aspirin remark certainly reflects his beliefs if not the exact way he would say it. Either way, he cannot be taken seriously as a general election candidate with beliefs that will alienate the majority of voters, namely women.

Calypso February 20, 2012 at 9:58 am

“Either way, he cannot be taken seriously as a general election candidate with beliefs that will alienate the majority of voters, namely women.”

As well as the vast majority of rational thinkers.

For those desirous of Santorum’s brand of ‘theocracy wannahave’, rational thought is neither required nor welcomed, he’s your guy.

KD_fiscal conservative February 20, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Also, Santorum is on the record ranting against ALL forms of contraception(although he did say he wouldn’t make it illegal). Now, I’m not that old, but I can’t remember any candidate for any office ever speaking out against all forms of contraception.

But I will say, at-least he is consistant, and didn’t try to run away from the comments like Romney would have.

John Konop February 20, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Did anyone see this comment from Santorum? I will also give him credit for being consistent, but his views will not play well with women and independents.

…..GOP presidential candidate and former senator Rick Santorum sharply criticized President Obama’s health-care law again Sunday for requiring health-insurance companies to cover certain prenatal tests, because some procedures are used to identify abnormalities and “encourage abortions.”

“The bottom line is that a lot of prenatal tests are done to identify deformities in utero and the customary procedure is to encourage abortions,” Santorum said during an appearance on CBS’s “Face the Nation.” He said he was talking specifically about some, but not all, prenatal testing, and not about prenatal care in general. He said “there are all sorts of prenatal testing which should be provided free,” such as sonograms……….

Jane February 17, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Family Planning, Yes Virginia there is a AP for that.

ConservativeCaucus February 17, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Interesting perspective on Santorum’s record on spending:

Cassandra February 18, 2012 at 9:55 am

Rep. Brockway,

I respect your opinion and choice and ask does it coincide with what majority of your constituents want?

Some say representatives ought to make decisions based on their interpretation of wisdom, justice, and moderation with reference to government, but not necessarily a majority view.

Mr. Santorum views are based on deep personal beliefs, I get that. Is it important that his beliefs may not represent the majority?

As to his fiscal record, Mr. Santorum is a speed bump, people are making it clear they do not want a ‘go-along, get-along’ President in this cycle.

Not that Mr. Ronmey offers much fiscal spine, either, he is just less wrapped up on so-con issues. The majority would like the GOP to be less involved with the uterus and all it entails, and more involved with keeping America solvent.

Buzz Brockway February 18, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Cassandra,

I think people are responding to the caricacuture the left has created of Santorum. I’d urge you to watch the video of his CPAC speech last week or his speech right after the Iowa caucus to get a better sense of the man. As for his fiscal record, check out the link ConseravativeCaucus provided above. The facts are quite a bit different than the Romney spin.

Cassandra February 19, 2012 at 9:30 am

Rep. Brockway,

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated. Most of my GOP friends are responding to Santorum with a faceplant for a variety of reasons. I believe that the majority of people in the US value strong faith. That said, most are quietly pious, and Mr. Santorum makes many uncomfortable as they perceive his personal beliefs may be enforced on everyone.

I don’t think moderates within the GOP will ~heart~ the good man from PA, and the Left would be gleeful to see him and/or Newt as nominees.

Harry February 19, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Don’t you think we are placing too much emphasis on who the Establishment says can beat Obama? I’d say a personable younger guy like Santorum, or a principled older guy like Ron Paul, would have at least an equal chance against Obama than Romney. Personally, I like Romney very much also and wouldn’t rule out voting for any of them when put up against Obama – and I’ll bet there are a lot more of us than you would think. And anyway – who knows – it may be foreordained to be Obama’s year, so why not vote for whatever Republican in the primary that you think would make the best president and not noodle too much on the eventualities.

Todd Rehm February 20, 2012 at 12:30 am

And really, there’s a place for doubting the wisdom of the Establishment that brought us President McCain.

KD_fiscal conservative February 20, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Cassandra February 20, 2012 at 10:25 am

Gary Johnson is my vote. Wasted as it may be, I am with Harry on this one.

John Konop February 20, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Buzz,

In all due respect Buzz, Santorum has a mixed record. He did vote for No Child Left Behind, the failed, one size fit all, unfunded mandate that added 2 out 3 extra administrators to local school districts budgets , Medicare Part D with no money to pay for it, that will bk the country, Highway bills with bridges to nowhere………. On the other hand I do like him on trade and his tax proposal idea of lowering rates and eliminating all write-offs I have advocated that for years, as you know.

As far as social issues, I do think he is out of the main stream of America. Most people I know would rather see more birth control not less with unwedded mothers. His views on prenatal care are very insensitive on a very personal subject. And most of us are for IVI, stem cell and would not force a 13 year old girl rapped to have a child. And the above issues may end out drowning out the positive parts of his message.

Comments on this entry are closed.