Morning Reads for Monday, February 13th

Here in Georgia…
– Legislation to eliminate concealed carry permits had a hearing last week.
– $200,000 of Gone with the Wind memorabilia went up in flames last week.
– Henry County blogger Joanie Scott finds scandalous behavior from some county commissioners regarding their salaries.
– The presidential primary isn’t the only thing on the ballot on March 6th.

National stories of interest…
– As Greek politicians approve austerity measures, protesters are setting Athens on fire.
– Peter Suderman explains why Mitt Romney won’t change anything in Washington.
– Global warming alarmists had a bad week.
– Liberals are now backing the very Bush-era policies that they once complained about.
– Is there a path to a brokered GOP convention?
– Bill Murray encourages people to take responsibility for their actions.
Big government undermines economic growth, according to a new report from the World Bank.
– A new report from The Daily Caller shows that Media Matters has coordinated closely with the White House.
– A new map from the New York Times shows where Americans depend on government handouts.
– Rick Santorum is declaring war on Mitt Romney.
– In 2006, Santorum played up his moderate record on economic issues to try to win re-election.

A few that I like…
– I wouldn’t go see Star Wars in 3-D even if they killed Jar Jar Binks.
– What would be the economic effect of losing the NFL.

1. Calypso says:

I don’t know what the economic effect of losing the NFL would be, but I wouldn’t mind learning that answer as it regards to both the NBA and the NHL.

2. saltycracker says:

“where American depends on government handouts”

“He says that too many Americans lean on taxpayers rather than living within their means. ”

“Older people get most of the benefits, primarily through Social Security and Medicare, but aid for the rest of the population has increased about as quickly through programs for the disabled, the unemployed, veterans and children.”

The definitions are bogus and the intent of the article is to justify wealth transfer.

Social Security is hardly a handout, it is an insurance program investing employee/employer money in treasuries. The portion that is a handout is fraud via disability, dead or ineligible.

Medicare is a government program that, in many cases, replaced existing private/public programs and that cat is not going back into the bag. Fix the $60 billion dollar annual fraud and rethink definitions, like providing an electric wheelchair to every 300lb. obese American.

Define government handout….good or bad……welfare, food stamps, medicaid, tax subsidies to farms or auto plants, tax rebates, military bases, government offices, universities ????

• saltycracker says:

P.S.
      JK rails on plan “D” but that is another cat out of the bag for millions – In 2010 many were covered by perscription care from their companies and in the years before 2010 when they retired were told to reject plan D as it would drop them from not only their perscription coveage but associated vision, hearing and dental plans.

In 2010 to help pay for planned Obamacare the Feds began to tax those plans…..

Many companies responded by putting folks on plan D and paying all, some or none of a supplemental insurance to cover what plan D did not. Should Obamacare be rejected and or the corporate plans reinstated as non-taxable, it would be doubtful that things go back to the way they were and companies increase health care costs once relieved of.

The mess with the Catholic church over birth control pills & such ? It was the Catholic bishops that supported Obamacare and accepted Pelosi’s position “we have to pass it to see what’s in it.”

3. John Konop says:

I got this mail today and thought it made some very good points! What do you think?

Winds of Change….

Warren Buffet is asking each addressee to forward this email to a minimum of twenty people on their address list; in turn ask each of those to do likewise.

In three days, most people in The United States of America will have the message. This is one idea that really should be passed
    around.

_*Congressional Reform Act of 2011*_

1. No Tenure / No Pension.

A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no
    pay when they’re out of office.

2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social
    Security.

All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the
    Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into
    the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the
    American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.

3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all
    Americans do.

4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise.
    Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

5. Congress loses their current health care system and
    participates in the same health care system as the American people.

6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the
    American people.

7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are void
    effective 1/1/12. The American people did not make this
    contract with Congressmen/women.

Congressmen/women made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in
    Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers
    envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their
    term(s), then go home and back to work.

If each person contacts a minimum of twenty people then it will
    only take three days for most people (in the U.S.) to receive
    the message. Don’t you think it’s time?

THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS!

If you agree with the above, pass it on. If not, just delete.
    You are one of my 20+ – Please keep it going, and thanks.

• Three Jack says:

Lobbyist reporting is a joke. Again it needs to fall back on the legislator receiving the benefit….each legislator should be required to post their individual daily schedule including lobbyist sponsored events (lunch, dinner, ballgame, etc.) on a single website. Then the following day, it should be updated with the amount spent on the legislator.

If this simple rule was implemented, it would offer constituents the opportunity to see their legislative whore in action at one of Atlanta’s fine dining establishments. Also my guess is most legislators would suddenly stop accepting so many handouts if they have to post for public viewing on the same day. Or they could just keep acting like they deserve all the freebies and face their respective voters in the next election.

• CobbGOPer says:

My favorite part was Chief Lobby Weasel Jay Morgan:

“When I entertain legislators, I do so to honor their service and sacrifice in volunteering for service in the General Assembly…”

Not, you know, to talk to them about legislation, which is how I make my millions.

• Three Jack says:

Brutal honesty from Charlie’s column posted after we started this little discussion — ”I wouldn’t have taken the trip if I’d known it was going to be disclosed that somebody was paying for a quail hunt for me,” said Sec State Brian Kemp after attending a quail hunt sponsored by lobbyists.

Thank you Mr. Kemp for substantiating my earlier post about a very simple solution to lobby handouts. Daily disclosure with details!

• saltycracker says:

Exactly – If he did not know, he should not be a public official for not puzzling out an offer, if he did know, he should not be a public official for not fessing up.
            Leaving him as either naive beyond belief or up to something.

I’d be good with an answer of, yeah, I went hunting with some PETA buddies to spy on those dog abusing, shotgun using, mule drawn buckboard abusers and quail killers, so what !

4. you says:

I am not a fan of no carry permits. Why not reduce the cost? They have gone from $30 to $100 in just a few years. Also, wouldn’t it make more sense to make it an endorsement on a driver’s license rather than having a separate card? This could save money.
    Not having a permit could cause a problem for law enforcement when they are questioning someone. Will it be like the citizenship issue, where they can not check on whether the person can legally carry? Are they to ignore everyone with a gun because they might be charged with harassment?
    Also, it does not seem that the GGA has considered the extra burden this will put on gun stores. It takes about 5 mins to call in a background check when the FBI is not slammed with calls. Having to call in every sale will mean longer wait times and will cause a store to have to hire someone just to make calls all day long. This is crazy.
    The GGA needs to think about how their new laws will affect everyone down the road.

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Totally agree. I applied for my CC permit last year in Cobb. Went on my lunch break and the entire process was exactly 45 minutes. That’s probably not the norm I’m sure, but it’s not the burden that the sponsor makes it out to be. Using that logic, we should do away with driver’s licenses too….yeah yeah yeah, I know, I know, we don’t have a right to drive….meh.

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Small potatoes…lol…jk. I agree with you there Jason, the fee is pretty steep; especially considering that everything is checked electronically.

• CobbGOPer says:

The point of these laws is not to save money or promote safety, but to make money off the taxpayers.

Like most laws in this country.

• elfiii says:

@ you “Are they to ignore everyone with a gun because they might be charged with harassment?”

Well, if you aren’t violating any laws what would you call it? I would call it harassment plain and simple, unless of course you follow the logic of “A is armed, therefore A is a convicted felon.” I’m sure there are some PoPo who think that way. They probably shouldn’t be a PoPo to begin with.

Further, if you are not a convicted felon or other person restricted from posessing a firearm why should you have to have any permit to carry a weapon? You can already carry openly. What’s the point of a concealed carry permit other than it makes one Tacti-Kool and reduces the wait time to buy a firearm? For that matter there are tons of message boards you can go on, find a gun owner desirous of selling and do a private transaction sans Form 4473 and the background check. If you are a “street legal” gun owner, how does carrying concealed with no permit requirement make one less “street legal”? On the flip side, how does being permitted make one more “street legal”? The 2A is clear. “The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed”.

Finally, there are several states with “sky is the limit” carry laws. You can carry anything you want, any way you want, any time you want to with no permit required. It doesn’t seem to place an undue burden on the PoPo and their crime stats are either on par or less than the national average.

All these “gun laws” accomplish is to limit freedom for law abiding citizens and bilk them for some case $. The criminals are going to have their guns and carry them concealed to boot.

Count me in favor of HB 679 and any law that restores liberty, especially with respect to firearms possession. A heavily armed society is a polite society.

• you says:

You missed my point. I was not saying the police would be questioning everyone with a gun. I always have a gun and it is usually on my side. If I were to be pulled over or in any other situation where the law is needed, I would expect them to ask for my permit. If there were no permits, would the officer need to run a background check to verify that I am legal to carry or should he just assume I am?

5. drjay says:

there was an interesting piece over the weekend that referenced articles for every election going back to ’72 discussing the chance of the nomination “going to convention” with the gop in ’76 being the only time it did (and that was still a 1st ballot nomination) my guess is this year will be the same way, i would be shocked to see a deadlocked convention (and based on the way things are now compared to “back in the day” i don’t think a “brokered convention” in the way that is meant to mean would even be possible anymore)