Georgia Senate passes bill to allow silencers for hunting

By a 48-5 vote, the Georgia Senate passed SB 301, sponsored by Sen. John Bulloch (R-Ochlocknee), to allow hunters to used silencers.

The bill does not change federal laws regulating the ownership or transfer of silencers, which are legal in Georgia; it simply allows hunters to use them while hunting. It also doesn’t change the fact that “silenced” gunfire is still VERY FREAKING LOUD, no matter what you’ve seen on TV or at the movies.

From the AJC:

Sen. John Bulloch, R-Ochlocknee, said he sponsored Senate Bill 301 to help landowners deal with an overpopulation of feral hogs. The silencers, he said, would help them get off more than one round. Bulloch also said it may help reduce the number of calls to law enforcement by residents who report hearing gun shots from hunters.

1. Max Power says:

VERY FREAKING LOUD

Once again it really depends on what you’re silencing. I’ve seen homemade silencers that make a 22lr quieter than a 22 short. But you know, with all the problems with the state I’m glad the senate has made time to handle this pressing issue.

2. elfiii says:

Well, I don’ no ’bout all ‘at but its’ still the right thing to do. Its’ never made sense you can have a suppressor on your gun at all times except when you are hunting. Its not likely the animals are going to care that you killed them a little more quietly.

Hope the House takes the same logical path.

• Max Power says:

Except that when you’re hunting they may very well be someone say hiking who would be alerted to the fact that people are hunting in the area by the sounds of gunshots.

• elfiii says:

That’s true but at that point, wouldn’t it be a little bit on the “late” side as far as notification?

Since DNR has decided to open up WMA’s to the non-hunting public it is equally incumbent upon the non hunting publis to realize they are in the woods with people with guns as it is for hunters to be aware of the fact there are people there who aren’t hunters.

I predict this will prove to be a huge problem in the future, suppressors or no suppressors.

• CobbGOPer says:

As someone who hikes and camps in WMAs and Wilderness areas around the southeast, often alone, I take offense to that comment Todd.

But Max is right: at least for myself, if I’m in the woods and I hear shots, I try to make myself louder, or shout a bit to let any nearby hunters know a hiker is in the area. Maybe it scares away the targets, but it keeps me from getting shot (so far).

• Max Power says:

You don’t have to hear the shot that kills you. When you’re hiking in the woods and you hear shooting close by you change your behavior, you make more noise, you sing to yourself, you take off your antler hat, etc.

If you’re a photographer like me it changes what you do to a great degree.

• elfiii says:

As I said previously allowing non hunters on WMA’s during hunting seasons is going to cause a problem.

My advice to non hunters is to become aware of the various hunting seasons and scheduled management hunts on WMA’s and steer clear of them during those times. You can find that information here:

3. drjay says:

um, why do you keep poopooing the efficacy of silencers–as i recall– noway, like, totally “schooled you” on the subject with this jem–“you’re incorrect about the noise of a silencer, Todd. Back in my Fed days we used to use them in firearms training. a silenced MP-5 submachine gun sounds no louder than a baseball being caught in a glove. No need for any ear protection.”

or don’t you remember him telling you that???

• Todd Rehm says:

Noway is an anonymous coward who never received any federal training with a silenced weapon until he or she proves otherwise. I remember writing something to that effect and not receiving a reply.

Maybe he’s talking about the sound of a Randy Johnson fastball hitting a catcher’s mitt, which was really freaking loud. Noticeably loud from the cheap seats at Turner Field. But the best you can do with a silencer is in the range of 120 db, which is the range where you start incurring hearing damage.

If a workplace has sustained sound levels of 120 db, it’s an OSHA violation.

Quietest MP5 silencer as tested by silencertalk is 123db. Now if you’re old and have bad hearing, you might not perceive that as being loud. But factually, 123db is loud.

And you get 25 pushups, Jay. Make that 30, with the extra 5 for misspelling “gem.”

• drjay says:

well i guess folks have to decide if they are going to believe a blogger with his “facts” and his “science” or a former federal agent on this one…and yeah i spaced on the spelling of gem for some reason just now…