Presidential Wednesday: Friday Edition

January 27, 2012 11:04 am

by Buzz Brockway · 14 comments

Because it’s been a busy week you folks get a special Friday edition of Presidential Wednesday. With our neighbors to the south going to the polls next Tuesday, this post will no doubt serve as the final word on the Florida Presidential Preference Primary.

But before we get started, allow me to be the third to report that President Obama will not, I repeat, WILL NOT be on the ballot in Georgia in November. According this this blog, Judge Malihi said yesterday he would enter a DEFAULT JUDGEMENT against Obama! Before you break open the champagne you purchased for the occasion with pre-1964 gold and silver coins, enter Jay Bookman to ruin the fun, he’s such a killjoy.

I know you will be shocked to hear this, but Orly Taitz and others have a record of claiming important legal victories that turn out to be inglorious defeats.

Oh well, back to the process that might actually remove Obama from the White House.

As Todd reported, former Senator Fred Thompson was in town and held a press conference in the Senate Press Office in support of Speaker Gingrich. Be sure to watch the video.

Not everyone was impressed by Thompson’s visit and support of Gingrich:

Atlanta, Ga (January 26, 2012) — Rep. Lynne Riley (R – Johns Creek) released the following statement in response to Fred Thompson’s press conference today at the Georgia State Capitol:

“Newt Gingrich has spent the last decade running from his Georgia roots and into the arms of the Washington insider establishment. We need a steady, reliable, conservative leader who can beat Barack Obama and turn around our broken economy—not a lobbyist and former legislator who left Congress in disgrace. As president, Mitt Romney will never embarrass the people of Georgia.”

There was a debate last night and the consensus seems to be that Santorum and Romney did well and even Paul was better than Gingrich. See here, then see here and here to hear praise for Santorum’s performance who many thought had a terrific night and scored some points. Santorum, as he has in previous debates, articulated many people’s reservation in supporting Romney. His health care reform in Massachusetts is problematic for him and could cause serious problems if he’s the nominee.

Santorum pounced:

“What Governor Romney just said is that government-run top-down medicine is working pretty well in Massachusetts, and he supports it. Now, think about what that means — going up against Barack Obama…you are going to claim, well, top-down government-run medicine on the federal level doesn’t work, and we should repeal it. And he’s going to say, wait a minute, Governor. You just said that top-down government-run medicine in Massachusetts works well.

Santorum added, “Folks, we can’t give this issue away in this election. It is about fundamental freedom.”

Santorum this week was fighting off rumors he was about to drop out. That’s never a good thing for a campaign.

Gingrich has been under attack from people other than his opponents. Bob Dole and others had some unkind words to say about the former Speaker but perhaps the most biting criticism of Gingrich came from Emmett Tyrrell of the American Spectator:

Back in 1992 I appeared with Chris Matthews on some gasbag’s television show. Was it Donahue? At any rate, I said candidate Clinton had more skeletons in his closet than a body snatcher. It was a prescient line then, and I always got a laugh. I can apply the same line today to Newt, though he has skeletons both inside and outside his closet. Conservatives should not be surprised by the scandals that lie ahead, if they stick with him. Those of us, who raised the question of character in 1992, were confronted by an indignant Bill Clinton, treating the topic as a low blow. To listen to him, character was the “c” word of American politics. It was reprehensible to mention it. By now we know. Character matters. Paul, Santorum, and Romney have it. Newt has Clinton’s character.

It wasn’t all bad news for Newt. Georgia’s own Jenny Beth Martin of the Tea Party Patriots told Brietbart.tv that Gingrich’s win in South Carolina was a win for the Tea Party. To be sure, Tea Party folks got behind him in South Carolina, helped deliver the victory to him, and pushed him to the front of the nomination pack. Will they stick with him in Florida?

So who wins Florida and their 50 delegates? The RCP Florida average shows Romney up 38.7% to Gingrich’s 31.5%. Most recent polls show Romney ahead but as with the first three States in this process, the number of undecideds are large. Tune is next week for another edition of Presidential Wednesday (now available on other days of the week) to find out what happened.

Here’s the update primary process spreadsheet:

UPDATE: Newt goes nuclear. Hat Tip: Political Insider.

Huckabee responds:

Any use of an out of context quote from the Republican Presidential primary 4 years ago in a political ad to advocate for the election or defeat of another candidate is not authorized, approved, or known in advance by me. I have made it clear that I have not and do not anticipate making an endorsement in the GOP primary, but will support the nominee. My hope is to defeat Barack Obama and win majorities in both the House and Senate, not to attack any of the Presidential candidates who might be our nominee.

Buzz Brockway January 27, 2012 at 11:36 am

Looks like Newt’s super pac has produced another mini-documentary. This one’s called “BLOOD MONEY: MITT ROMNEY’S MEDICARE SCANDAL.” You’ll have to give them some information to see the video so no, I haven’t seen it.

TPNoGa January 27, 2012 at 12:02 pm

With every passing day, my contempt for Newt grows. I was undecided until Newt started acting like a whackjob. Also, listening to Erick blather on and on about how Mitt is evil has actually made me more sympathetic towards Romney. So I owe a big ‘Thank You” to Newt and Erick, you helped me decide.

ted in bed January 27, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I’m with you. I watched the debate with a sympathetic ear towards Mitt and I ended up liking what he says and his rationale for doing things. I’m voting for Mitt and probably will volunteer on his campaign.

PS – I’m not supposed to like Mitt since I’m a gun guy involved in gun rights for a long time. I actually think he will be good for gun rights.

Lo Mein January 27, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Be sure to tell Mitt’s campaign you’re a birther, too. That’ll help him here in Georgia. Woo hoo!

ted in bed January 27, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Good idea.

Lo Mein January 27, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Right over the head.

ted in bed January 27, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Not really. I got it.

benevolus January 27, 2012 at 12:24 pm

It seems pretty cynical for Santorum to not be able to make the distinction between a state run health system and a federal one.

Harry January 27, 2012 at 1:17 pm

He did make a distinction. He said a state-run system would be constitutional, whether or not a good idea is a separate issue. A federal-run system would not be constitutional….regardless if the Supreme Court agrees or not (my comment).

Three Jack January 27, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Thanks for the link to JBM’s interview Buzz. She’s done a fantastic job and continues traveling the country building support for the Tea Party and it’s core issues.

Newt really bombed last night with Mitt not much better as the two of them spent so much time arguing over tax returns, investments and other irrelevant personal issues. Santorum did a great job of assuming the role of adult in the room, but still lacks the resources to compete nationwide. If a potential late entry into the race was watching, he or she is probably meeting with key advisors today asking ‘why not’ as the 4 remaining candidates continue to flounder around.

bowersville January 27, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I didn’t want to interfere with any of the Republican Presidential Primary conversations so I held back until now on Jay Bookman’s article. It’s an informing read. But allow me to entertain myself as I share with you a few thoughts of what I find to be quite high drama were the cards to fall a certain way. For the sake of entertainment a few hypothetical situations and unknowns are put into play.

If, for instance, Judge Mahili issues a default judgement because the defendants [Obama & attorney] were a no-show and did not respond with briefs by Feb. 5th….then what? The default judgement favoring the Birthers goes to Secretary Kemp for Kemp to decide on. It’s a given at this point the Birthers will declare victory. But let’s say Kemp makes the decision to keep Obama’s name on the ballot because he knows an immediate appeal will reverse him otherwise.

Now what? I don’t know if this option for the Birthers is there, but let’s say Orly Taitz and the other Birthers take Kemp to court and Kemp requires the services of Republican Attorney General Sam Olens to defend Kemp to keep Obama on the ballot. Isn’t that something? Will we see Brian Kemp, Sam Olens, Michael Jablonski and Roy Barnes sitting at the same defense table for Obama? Maybe Mark Hatfield would sit on the other side with Taitz. At this point I don’t think Sam and Brian would be too friendly towards Hatfield and let him sit with them, do you? But I’d be willing to bet Hatfield would get a big ole thank you from Roy Barnes. Who would have thought it?

I know, it’s far fetched with a few liberties taken to create high political drama but can you imagine? Maybe the Democrats had this in mind all along. Who knows?

John Konop January 28, 2012 at 11:50 am

It is making some good T V….

Dave Bearse January 27, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I liked the links too, clicked to Bookman and American Spectator.

From Bookman: “In a letter to Obama’s legal team, Kemp has written that if they refused to participate in the hearings, “you do so at your own peril” because they would not have a chance to put the facts of the case on record. But I think if anyone’s at peril here, it’s Kemp, and I suspect he knows it.”

The second sentence of that quote is a hoot. The last time the full national media glare was on a state SoS concering a Presidential election was Florida 2000. We know how that worked out for Katherine Harris. The lights are hardly on and Kemp is no doubt in a sweat.

saltycracker January 28, 2012 at 9:56 am

Odds are that emotions have run their course in Florida politics and Republicans will settle on who can knock out Obama. Romney with Rubio or maybe Daniels.

The birthers may be a strange lot but we are a nation of the laws the legislators made. Stir in that there are too many oddities in Obama’s history making for a strange stew too. Let’s see how it plays out.

Comments on this entry are closed.