Morning Reads for Thursday, January 26th

January 26, 2012 6:27 am

by Jason · 7 comments

Here in Georgia…
- Get ready for more bad weather today.
- Chief Justice Carol Hunstein is joining the calls for criminal justice reform.
- According to the Tax Foundation, Georgia is ranked 34th in the nation in business tax policy.
- Rep. Ed Setler (R-Marietta) says the TSPLOST has “fatal flaws.”
- The South Carolina legislature is pushing to kill dredging of the Savannah harbor.
- Sen. Jeff Mullis has put together legislation for regional transportation governance, but doesn’t have enough support to introduce it.
- Metro Atlanta’s unemployment rate rose slightly in December.
- House Democrats have unveiled their agenda for the 2012 session.

National stories of interest…
- A new CNN poll shows a close race in Florida.
- The US may be expanding its military presence in the Philippines.
- Fidel Castro says the GOP race is “the greatest competition of idiocy and ignorance that has ever been.”
- Rep. Paul Ryan is getting up his hopes for a deficit deal by 2013.
- Do you have question about President Obama’s mortgage refinance proposal? The Wall Street Journal has some answers.
- Michele Bachmann is running for re-election.
- After his SOTU speech, the RNC put out this very good ad hitting Obama for his lack of new ideas.
- The Heritage Foundation sets the record straight on some of the trade policy points made by Obama on Tuesday.

A few that I like…
- On April 12th, the Foundation for Economic Education will host John Stossel in Atlanta.
- Monica Perez will be back on the air this Saturday. Tune in on WSB at 10pm to listen.
- The Atlanta Braves will wear a new throwback this year (because I haven’t wasted enough of my money on buying throwback jerseys).

Cassandra January 26, 2012 at 8:15 am

After we successfully take back our Tennessee River land, the march toward South Cackalackey shall continue unabated.

As to Mr. Castro, “I hope your legs grow together.”

Calypso January 26, 2012 at 9:46 am

I’m not really sure what you just said, but it’s funny and I like it!

Engineer January 26, 2012 at 8:17 am

I wonder how the videos and quotes of Newt bad-mouthing Reagan will go with the voters?

Meanwhile, Ron Paul has continued to ignore Florida and has been campaigning hard in Maine for next Saturday’s caucus.

Max Power January 26, 2012 at 8:34 am

We should go ahead and start dredging now. I don’t care if Deal has to personally secure the payments to get it done, he can always declare bankruptcy later.

I remember when we pulled out of the Philippines, why go back.

Finally,
On April 12th, the Foundation for Economic mis-Education will host John Stossel in Atlanta. FIFY. I mean it’s got to mis-education if they’ve asked John Stossel to speak, right?

Calypso January 26, 2012 at 9:51 am

“We should go ahead and start dredging now.”

I agree. I assume Georgia has riparian rights, so the state line goes to the middle of the river. Let’s just start dredging in our half and if the SC mud slides down and over the GA line, well, that just gets dredged out too.

Cassandra January 26, 2012 at 11:09 am

That’s right.

We didn’t give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor and we won’t give up now.

Calypso January 26, 2012 at 11:20 am

Germans?

Forget it, he’s rolling.

Comments on this entry are closed.