Rep Manning Apologizes Via Facebook For Anti-Mormon Comments

From the tipline (and verified on Rep Manning’s FB page):

I have made a terrible mistake with my reckless words.

In an attempt to compare Romney and Obama, a seasoned reported (sic) manipulated my comparison using verbal judo and made my choice for a Republican Presidential candidate appear to be motivated by religion.
NOT SO! I am supporting Newt Gingrich because he is the smartest, most qualified man for the job. I believe he is the only candidate that …can turn this economy around. In the 2012 elections, I believe constituents should focus on the crucial issues plaguing our nation; Foreign Policy, Healthcare, the Economy and Education.

While I believe Newt Gingrich is the best choice for President, I can assure you, I will be supporting whomever wins the support of Republican America on the ballot in 2012.

Elizabeth Kubler Ross said, “I believe that we are solely responsible for our choices, and we have to accept the consequences of every deed, word, and thought throughout our lifetime.” These are words to live by. I sincerely apologize to Mitt Romney and for offending people of Mormon faith.

1. heroV says:

OK, so I guess she still hates Muslims, is proud of it, and doesn’t care if she offended people of that faith. What an idiot.

• Tiberius says:

agreed. If her words were manipulated by a reporter then how was it a “terrible mistake” and how were they “reckless words?”

2. Calypso says:

And yet she still says nothing about her bigoted remarks toward the Mormons other than acknowledging that her beliefs are offensive.

3. Bridget says:

Rep Manning is my rep. I’m glad she issued an apology, but I would’ve liked for it to be more thought out and professional i.e. via an actual press release not an FB status, be free of spelling errors, include the breadth of her ‘terrible mistake’, and not paint the image of a ninja reporter.

As I mentioned yesterday, I can’t even imagine a context in which this soundbite would be appropriate. A politician saying they’re afraid of a religion (ANY religion including atheism) bothers me. She should’ve addressed the Muslim reference also. I’m secure in my Christianity and that security allows me to not fear your’s.

AND if she truly supported Newt, wouldn’t it make sense to say that her statement should bear no reflection on him?

That being said – I can’t remember ever having more than a five minute conversation with her, so I won’t kick too hard while she’s down. Of all my representatives, she’s now on my radar to check in on to see what else is lurking beneath her ‘reckless words’…

• ChuckEaton says:

“I have made a terrible mistake with my reckless words.”

“I sincerely apologize to Mitt Romney and for offending people of Mormon faith.”

That sounds apologetic to me.

4. Three Jack says:

keep diggin Judy! You got wordsmith’d by a ‘seasoned reporter’ with the Marietta Daily Journal…this is your excuse for being a religious bigot?

Manning told her perception of the truth and now is apologizing for it…via FB. Only in America!

5. Doug Deal says:

I thought it would be helpful to examine her actual quote in context of the apology.

“I think Mitt Romney is a nice man, but I’m afraid of his Mormon faith,” Manning said. “It’s better than a Muslim. Of course, every time you look at the TV these days you find an ad on there telling us how normal they are. So why do they have to put ads on the TV just to convince us that they’re normal if they are normal? … If the Mormon faith adhered to a past philosophy of pluralism, multi-wives, that doesn’t follow the Christian faith of one man and one woman, and that concerns me.

Her “apology” makes no mention on whether she believes this. Afraid of his Mormon faith? What in all of Mormonism is there to be feared by anyone? I have known many Mormons in my life and I would trust them pretty much more than any other randomly chosen person. Also, “it’s better than being Muslim”? Do tell. I would love to see where she ranks Catholics, Jews and I guess blacks too.

Finally, assaulting Mormonism for a past belief in multiple wives? Really? Do we need to dig into the closet of Christianity and dig out its most embarrassing moments? Anyone remember hearing about the Salem Witch Trials, Joan of Arc, the Spanish inquisition, and the other atrocities committed in Jesus’s name throughout the centuries. Should we then condemn all Christians on the same basis she condemns Mormons and Muslim?

This type of playing to hatred is one thing that brings the GOP down, and anyone within the party that does not chastise her in the strongest possible way, until a real and full apology is given, is helping her in that end.