Judy Manning is “afraid” of Mormons

In defending her candidate, Newt Gingrich, State Rep. Judy Manning (R-Marietta) shows us that she is a bigot. Here’s the story from the Marietta Daily Journal:

Manning believes Gingrich, if given the chance, can beat President Obama.

“But I think we’ve got so many people that are too interested in the personal lives of all of our elected officials that we can’t get past that to the point of who can do the job, and who can make the decisions, and who knows the politics involved, and who better than someone who has the experience,” Manning said.

By contrast, Manning believes Rick Santorum doesn’t have the seasoning to unseat Obama, and Mitt Romney concerns her.

Stay classy, Rep. Manning.

1. T-Bone says:

“But I think we’ve got so many people that are too interested in the personal lives of all of our elected officials that we can’t get past that to the point of who can do the job, and who can make the decisions, and who knows the politics involved, and who better than someone who has the experience . . . . I think Mitt Romney is a nice man, but I’m afraid of his Mormon faith,” Rep. Manning said in the same breath.

• Ken says:

I love Georgia. I’ve lived in some other states, but Georgia is home.

Then there are days when I look around and say, “Why do we elect some of these people?”

Question: Does Manning have enough sense to issue a real apology or will she continue down this path of sublime and incomprehensible sabotage of the Gingrich campaign?

• saltycracker says:

Fundamentalists are misguided regardless of their religious calling.

Never been around a fundamentalist Mormon (Romney is far from one) but I could admire a man that could manage five headstrong wives. The male leaders got smart & dropped that idea.

Been around & related to a lot of fundamentalist Christians and never admired them.

• Calypso says:

Ken, if you’re lucky, maybe Manning is a northern transplant to the Peach State. If so, you won’t have as much egg to clean up.

Oh yeah, Manning’s a moron no matter from where she hails.

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Awww Ken don’t take it so personally. I’m originally from up north and I’m one of the first to ridicule Georgia when it deserves it. But there are freaks all over the country and they come in different forms. Judy Manning is just one of them.

• Ken says:

I appreciate the kind thoughts, but I’m truly surprised and disappointed. One would think that a state representative would – at the very least – self-edit when talking to the press.

I’m even more disappointed at the ideas expressed, but the lack of self-restraint makes me wonder what her personal conversations are like. At this point, I really don’t want to know.

My blog post tonight will likely be entitled “Dear Yankee Pundits: I Apologize”. I will not enjoy writing it at all.

2. saltycracker says:

OMG – guess she missed the Roman Catholic ads & their convert the Anglican services too….

Having been exposed to Mormons all my life my primary objection was having to clean up my language, not brag on the contents of my red Solo cup or talk about my not so organized red neck relatives.

3. Engineer says:

Sometimes I wonder if I’m I the only one in this state that really doesn’t care what a candidate’s religion is or isn’t.

• saltycracker says:

Information on the environment a candidate lives in gives us some insight into who one might be. Not exactly, but probabilities matter.

• The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

You’re far from the only one that may not care what a candidate’s religion is, it’s just that those who do care are the loudest and most open about it.

• Three Jack says:

I don’t care as long as they aren’t using religion to get elected, i.e. Rick Santorum. Then it becomes a problem.

• Engineer says:

A good point, I’m no fan of Santorum’s theocratic dream. so I suppose I should amend my previous statement by adding the comment, “…as long as they aren’t trying to force it down my throat.”

4. The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

“Manning believes Gingrich, if given the chance, can beat President Obama.”

Gingrich can’t even beat Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum or Ron Paul in Iowa after leading in the polls by a substantial margin. How in the heck are we to expect that he’ll be able to beat Obama and a Chicago machine-style political campaign in which it will be open season on Gingrich’s personal life, a personal life which includes a very well-known history of adulterous behavior?

• Engineer says:

Not to mention giving wide praise for Romneycare before he was against it, his commercial with Nancy Pelosi (for one of Al Gore’s ad firms) talking about global warming, and his working as a consultant for Freddie Mac from 2001 thru 2010.

• The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

An inanimate object should be able to beat Obama going away based on the economy alone, but of course Obama is not going to run on his wretched economic record.

Republicans who think that this election is going to be a walk, no matter the who the nominee is, do so at their own peril.

Like his political mentor, longtime former Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley, Obama has a history of masterfully using sexual smears against his political opponents and what better opponent to use those sexual smears against that a candidate that would give the Obama camp an overabundance of sordid sexual material to use him like a Newt Gingrich would.

• Ken says:

It will be a tough battle – and as I predicted in Desperate and Nasty: Obama’s Coming Campaign: http://thekencarroll.blogspot.com/2012/01/desperate-and-nasty-obamas-coming.html it will be astonishingly negative because President Obama’s record is so miserable. and because he has a huge campaign war chest.

The only way the President wins is to drive up the negatives of his opponent and make it a contest of personalities rather than his failed record. He’ll run a positive campaign until there is an official (or an obvious) GOP nominee and then it will begin.

5. ricstewart says:

“It’s funny, Romney is the Mormon, and Newt Gingrich is the one with three wives.”
    -Letterman

6. CobbGOPer says:

Judy Manning, proving once again that our elected officials are as stupid as we think they are.

7. Three Jack says:

I wonder if scared Judy feels the same about a mormon family attempting to purchase property or a house from her. Amazing that this poor excuse for a representative sits on the Appropriations Committee deciding how to divvy up $20b every year.

8. drjay says:

i said back in 08 that the campaign would end up being about “big love” and secret underwear if romney is nominated, maybe it matters, maybe it doesn’t but it will be part of the dialogue in 12 just like it would have been then…

9. AMB says:

If you believe all the Mormon silliness, then you aren’t fit to be President. If you don’t believe its tenets, then why are you still a Mormon?

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Well there are Baptists out there that actually drink. I’m a Catholic and eat meat on Fridays. I have a Muslim friend who drinks…although he won’t eat pork…lol

10. John Konop says:

….“I think Mitt Romney is a nice man, but I’m afraid of his Mormon faith,” Manning said. “It’s better than a Muslim. Of course, every time you look at the TV these days you find an ad on there telling us how normal they are. So why do they have to put ads on the TV just to convince us that they’re normal if they are normal? … If the Mormon faith adhered to a past philosophy of pluralism, multi-wives, that doesn’t follow the Christian faith of one man and one woman, and that concerns me.”….

Was the above lines in the movie Deliverance?

• seenbetrdayz says:

I happen to have a good friend who is a Mormon, and the polygamy thing has been waaay overblown, according to him.

He told me a bit of history (which seems practical enough to be true, so I believe him) about how the Mormons set out in the pioneering days for present-day Utah. Along the way, the wild frontier claimed the lives of many of the pioneers, but a disproportionate number of those who died were men. So, when they finally got to a place to settle, ending up with multiple wives wasn’t so much a matter of religion as it was a necessity to ensure that the community did not die out.

I’m not sure how prevalent polygamy is in Mormonism today, but I asked him about it (he’s married to a good friend of mine, and she’s the only woman in his life), and he jokingly replied, “What sane man would want to try to keep up with more than one woman?”

Seems Mormons aren’t all that different from the rest of us.

This whole issue simply boils down to fear of the unknown.

11. lostinatl says:

Not trying to speak ill of the recently departed, but with Bobby Franklin causing a national embarrassment for Georgia last year and Manning trying to follow that lead right now, who exactly is voting up there in Cobb County?

• Cassandra says:

Because It’s The Way We Have Always Done Things is well represented going back to never-ran-but thought-about-it Lester Maddox, Larry McDonald, Bobby Franklin, and now Ms. Manning.

They like ’em fiery and hot over there….

12. seenbetrdayz says:

Stories like this make me wonder just how many Americans appreciate the gravity of the issues we face. Looming economic collapse in Europe in spite of all the money the Fed has pissed away on countries that were doomed to fail anyway, and here at home, the story is, “Hey, did you hear that so-and-so is a Mormon? I don’t trust him.”

We are soo screwed, lol.

• Cassandra says:

Five years ago the “WF” Club began as a group of forward thinking businessmen and political historians reviews our nations ‘report card.’

The Club is fully funded and sadly reports not much has changed, nor does it look like it will change.

• The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

“WF’ed unless WE the People demand change. Doubt that will happen as it conflicts with “Dancing with the Stars.””

And Monday Night Football…and American Idol…and Entertainment Tonight…and TMZ…